Wrastlin..Wrestling, Raslin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrastlin..Wrestling, Raslin'

So, the IOC has decided they want to get rid of wrestling for the Olympics. I know some of you folks are not sports fans but I am and this irks me. One of the summer olympic venues that is ALWAYS sold out at any olympic event is wrestling. Its roots go back to there very start of the Olympic games...why would these clowns want to get rid of it? It baffles me that they keep stupid crap like synchonized swimming, ping-pong, badmitton for goodness sakes...but they want to drop wrestling. this has wider implications than just the Olympics...this will eventually affect high schools and wrestling programs at every level..... I never wrestled but lots of my friends did, the dedication, the strength, mental focus needed to be competative is astounding...but nah, lets get rid of it of favor of what? underwater basket weaving? cup stacking? bocci ball or maybe croquet....jagoffs
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

I wrestled in high school and in Germany for my base against the Army grunts. It is undoubtedly the most influential thing I ever participated in, and that includes the USAF. I did well in the AF because of what I learned in wrestling, and it has affected every facet of my life since the first time I stepped on the mat way back in the early 80s. Self motivation, dedication, team advancement through personal responsibility and action, and of course self control and focus. The fact that it is a very good form of self defense is nice, but not the main thing by far.

Dropping wrestling from the Olympics, and probably from high school and college, would be a severe detriment to future generations. Wrestling provides many things you just dont get from team oriented sports like football and basketball. It can be a huge factor in turning around the life of a troubled kid and giving them the tools they need to survive and be a productive member of society, I know because that is what it did for this troubled kid.

Comment

Wrestling is a staple of the Olympics. I do not think it does well on TV, so out it goes.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Didn't Hermes rustle some cattle from Apollo? How much more Olympian can you get? jeez.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

This irks me. As Thumper said, Wrestling will change your life. It will teach you a lesson.

2700 years and now they wont to replace it. Damn I hope the committee Votes for it to stay.

As a Multi-sport athlete, Wrestling, should be the number one sport world wide.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

So, its okay to have little girls running around waving ribbons, but one of the original Olympic sports is bumped. Says a bit about our modern times, doesn't it.
            I'm still learning

Comment

well, gay was an accepted behavior back then... even the sheep. Not that it's not acceptable now, it's just it was well known and the rates were even well known. They wouldn't let them dress the same in public so you could tell who was who even! Men prostitutes cost a lot less than women prostitutes. THAT should be an olympic sport. I bet they would adopt that. It would sell advertisement.
              Last edited by Beagle; February 13, 2013, 03:16 PM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                So, its okay to have little girls running around waving ribbons, but one of the original Olympic sports is bumped. Says a bit about our modern times, doesn't it.

That was my first thought, freaking ribbon twirling!
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I wonder if it has to do with it being seen as a violent sport.

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                  I wrestled in high school and in Germany for my base against the Army grunts. It is undoubtedly the most influential thing I ever participated in, and that includes the USAF. I did well in the AF because of what I learned in wrestling, and it has affected every facet of my life since the first time I stepped on the mat way back in the early 80s. Self motivation, dedication, team advancement through personal responsibility and action, and of course self control and focus. The fact that it is a very good form of self defense is nice, but not the main thing by far.

Dropping wrestling from the Olympics, and probably from high school and college, would be a severe detriment to future generations. Wrestling provides many things you just dont get from team oriented sports like football and basketball. It can be a huge factor in turning around the life of a troubled kid and giving them the tools they need to survive and be a productive member of society, I know because that is what it did for this troubled kid.
                  I wonder if you knew a friend of my father's who wrestled for the USAF back in the early '80's. His name was Todd Bowles.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    well, gay was an accepted behavior back then... even the sheep. Not that it's not acceptable now, it's just it was well known and the rates were even well known. They wouldn't let them dress the same in public so you could tell who was who even! Men prostitutes cost a lot less than women prostitutes. THAT should be an olympic sport. I bet they would adopt that. It would sell advertisement.
                    Wait, what?
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I helped coach wrestling in one of the middle schools that I taught at over the years. I saw this in the paper this morning and was shocked. I saw a lot of young men make positive changes in their lives as a result of their experiences as wrestlers. This is really a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                        No shit
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

was there an earnings ceiling?? surely there were other dudes fighting for equal pay??

Charles

Comment

It makes you sick to see this happen, what is wrong with these people. Most people have no idea at all the dedication that is needed to be involved in this sport. Anyone who has starved themselves for years and worked your heart out would only understand what it is to be good at wrestling. No other sport in the world takes such dedication and straight of heart. Builds character and self-esteem , but now why would we want that. Its all about the dumbing down of man ?

Comment

My brother is 1 year younger.
                              I can see how wrestling became a sport.

by nature it does happen.

I grew up to be a homophobe... I have wrestled no one but my own brother...and maybe in grade school other kids. I guess I have to be sincere about wrestling, and wrestle for a reason.

my own flaws aside, it should not be done away with.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X