AFROTC Snow Statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFROTC Snow Statue

So, I'd mentioned a little bit about the snow statue in my truck thread. We did a scene from the Halo video game franchise, so I doubt many people here will share the appreciation of the subject that college students do.
    Here is the statue itself:

An under construction shot:

Irene getting some help from the Purple Dragon Lady:

Some further information- that is the product of more than 600 volunteer hours from about 50 people. About 100 of those hours are mine. Dump trucks, loaders, and plows cannot be used- everything was shoveled, shaped, carved and smoothed by hand, with the only power tool used being irons to smooth the snow and put on a glossy finish.

The statue is right around 65' long and 35' wide at the wings. It took between 60 and 80 truckloads of snow. The figures are about 8 feet tall each and weigh around 800 lbs. There is nothing but snow and ice the statue- no support frame.

Not much studying this semester??
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Pretty much. We worked out a pretty good schedule between the primary workers so we all had some study time. There were two of us with around 100 hours.

Comment

Man, college rules. I miss those times of doing cool stuff and having time to get work done too.

Awesome deal!!!
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
          Man, college rules. I miss those times of doing cool stuff and having time to get work done too.

Awesome deal!!!
          Walt will be my forever young guy hero for riding the almost-a-moped all the way across Michigan in freezing rain to get to the BangShift party at Mike Copeland's place.

I only had a few seconds to talk with Walt. I asked him what that ride was like. He said it was cold.

Stokes rescued him. Next thing you know, they had the bike loaded into the back of Truck and they were gone somewhere else.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi View Post
            . We did a scene from the Halo video game franchise, so I doubt many people here will share the appreciation of the subject that college students do.
            If you would elaborate on that one Walt, it would accomplish two things.

First, the many people here can learn something - and second it may exemplify how many outside the current college envrionment might share an appreciation?
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I have no idea about Halo but I can appreciate the work and craftsmanship (craftsPERSONship?) that went into it. Viewing it from my 'puter screen here in sunny NC is just fine with me - it looks COLD!

Nice work Walt! This is the time to have fun while you're learning. Life gets too serious too quickly in a few years.

Dan

Comment

Beautiful work Walt!
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

That is cool Walt, and it will last longer than the average Toga Party too.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                    If you would elaborate on that one Walt, it would accomplish two things.

First, the many people here can learn something - and second it may exemplify how many outside the current college envrionment might share an appreciation?
                    Excellent point-
                    First, I should make a note about MTU- we are a school full of nerds. We do weird things even by college standards.

The theme this year for carnival was Heroes and Villains. We considered doing a "normal" superhero, but we wanted to be at least a little different. Halo is a video game set in a distant future of spaceflight and war with an alien confederation. The protagonist of the Halo series is known pretty much only as Master Chief. He is the human figure on top of the crashed ship. We figured it would be hard to beat a hero who had only saved all known life in the galaxy on more than one occasion.

For those who aren't familiar with the games, they are hugely popular first person shooters- By my count there have been seven different games released in the series, and all were fairly popular. There is also a book series and at least one halo movie. Here it is instantly recognizable by about 80% of the people.

As far as personal appreciation- I've only ever played one of the games, and before we built the statue I knew pretty much nothing about the series.

Comment

We didnt build snow sculptures when I was Univ of Nebraska. We got into snowball brawls with the greeks, invented the sport of snow skiing behind a car, and made a sport of sneaking alcohol onto a dry campus. Seems what Walt and his buddies did seem to be less likely to end up in a courtroom explaining why you were skiing behind a car doing 40 mph on unplowed roads at 3 am.

I actually have the very first two, primitive graphic Halos on my old desktop computer.
                      Last edited by Scott Liggett; February 16, 2013, 03:25 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The statues at winter carnival are a big deal. You can get away with so much in front of the cops here on campus if you are doing it for statue. We were literally rappelling off the trailer hitch of the Tahoe down a 30' cliff to try and pull a hunk of ice off a lake. Our rappelling gear: my tow strap.

And while I will you certainly credit you with the invention of the sport, we have maintained the proud tradition.

I'm also trying to imagine a dry MTU. Students would revolt. Without alcohol to limit them, they'd probably win. At least until the post victory celebration.

Comment

I dont think the campus cops cared too much. The football stadium usually smelled like the floor of a bar by halftime. (Can you imagine the biggest sporting event in the state and alcohol was not being served?) The security dorks who were in the dorms after ten p.m. seemed to take their job too seriulously. They were the only who enforced campus prohibition.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X