Hot Rod Magazine, A.D. April 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Magazine, A.D. April 2013

Sure, the latest HRM to leak out of the El Segundo CUBE HIVE between Corona bashes is materially flawed ...

(they can run pix of a wooden basket and a wheelbarrow, a two-page spread on a scruffly mope playing "drums" on car parts, pages and pages of Chevy-male enhancement ads, and even a freakin Holden . . . but can't squeeze in even a postage stamp frame of DW '12s 33rd place Daily Driver ... which made at least 37 passes at DW '12. . . .But I digress . . . .)

Pages 32, 34, and 35 of April's HRM are no joke. They're pure Bangshift gold . . . Our own Steve Evans-of-the-Future penned a brilliant photo essay for "Roddiin @ Random" . . . "Turbos Before Turbos Were Cool . . . 10 Drag machines That Were Way Ahead of the Turbo Revolution."

Awesome article! Read it!

congrats on getting more ink in the mags Mr Brian
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I saw that too - and the month before he got to do some of the obituaries of legends we lost. Good job Brian - you have a historical knack for stuff that makes you feel you were there.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Thanks fellas! I appreciate the kind words. That turbo story turned out pretty neat, I think. Maybe too many Pintos, but that may be why Outsider is diggin' on it.

I'd give an appendage to have seen Bud Faubel's turbo car run in person. People must have freaked out at that thing, running as hard and fast as it did for its short racing life.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I spotted it yesterday brian,congrats ,thats pretty cool.

Comment

Cool stuff Brian, I missed that entirely - congrats!. I have real trouble with the font. I like the photos...It's a real struggle to read the story.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Asolutely Awsomeness...! Very well written. My Fav is Ohio Georges Mustang. That car used to sit in the lobby of Stengers Ford in Dayton where he had a speed shop..... Anbody know where it is now? I would love to go take pics if its still local.

What did that gig pay ya? 50, 60k....?

it was worth at least that.!
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

It was a great story.
                Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                  Cool stuff Brian, I missed that entirely - congrats!. I have real trouble with the font. I like the photos...It's a real struggle to read the story.
                  Me too; they promised to do something about the font a while back. My wife shakes her head when she sees me with glasses on and magnifying glass in hand
                  Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I struggle with it too.....my cheaters barely work..
                    Congrats Brian!
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                      Maybe too many Pintos, but that may be why Outsider is diggin' on it.
                      Nope. The turbo gassers and Keller & Faubel's Turbo Honker are the ones that "make it." Too bad they didn't stoke Wally Parks, or the "revolution" would have occurred decades sooner.

The Pintos, of course, are historically significant in the development of 1320 turbocharging and the NHRA's overreaction to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                        Thanks fellas! I appreciate the kind words. That turbo story turned out pretty neat, I think. Maybe too many Pintos, but that may be why Outsider is diggin' on it.

I'd give an appendage to have seen Bud Faubel's turbo car run in person. People must have freaked out at that thing, running as hard and fast as it did for its short racing life.
                        no such thing brian.... Was upset there was no picture of ohio georges.... jk Keep up the good work, made the magazine for me .. Its near impossible to find info on the early turbo stuff..

Comment

Working...
                        X