Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know you want it

Full on 1980's Pro Street goodness!

View detailed pictures that accompany our Pro Street Chevy Celebrity article with close-up photos of exterior and interior features. (12 photos)

Weird thing is, this car is from Massachusetts and I've never even heard of it's existence. Not at the indoor car shows during the winter or anything. It's like the thing has been in a time capsule!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: You know you want it

Wow, what blast from the past. I grew up in a couple of Celebrity's. We had a 1982 and a 1988 both bought new. Although neither one looked like that.

Comment

WOW! That trips my trigger, Bitchin car!

Comment

Funny -
        Mom drives a red Celebrity. It was born grey, but she'll only drive red cars, so I painted it - one of the best paint jobs I ever did. VW red base/clear. Still, it doesn't look exactly like that one (too many doors).

Dan

Comment

Definitely a time machine....I don't long for the Pro Poser scene, but some of those old cars looke cool....even if they didn't run the number.

Hell, been a few years since I saw a Celebrity..........

Comment

Good story.

So I'm working at the gas station in high school. It was beautification time in the spring so myself and a couple of the other guys are painting curbs, sweeping up sand, typical junk.

This old lady rolls in driving a Celebrity. The thing was white with huge rust splotches all over it. The car really looked like hell.

The old guy who owns the place heads out to pump her gas. He's chatting with the lady and then heads over toward me. He says, "When her tank is full she's going to drive over here. I want you to paint the rust spots on the car."

Thinking he had lost his mind, I said, "It's gonna look like shit".

His reply, "No problem, I only charged her 20 bucks".

So with the curb paint and a brush, I slathered and slopped a bunch of paint all over the rust spots on her car. She was happy as a clam, I was laughing my ass off, and the old guy that owned the station taught me a valuable business lesson.

Never turn down money.

Brian

Comment

NASTY. ( In the bad way, not good.)

Comment

Customer is always right.... Particularly when their paying.

Comment

Thats the best Red they ever made looks like Victory Red made out of three red pigments My ChevyII color that is still in the cans LOL
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I am not 100% certain but I am pretty sure I have seen that car before at the Car Craft street machine nationals in Diquoin, IL. It would have been somewhere around 1987-1990, I think ???

Comment

At the time it seemed like three or four of them were jus trying to outdo each other. Dobberton finally peaked the "race" with the J body, but then finally thankfully we all decided prostreet cars should be fast.

Comment

Do you guys think that all three of the blowers have guts in them?

Brian

Comment

I'm placing my money on NO, Lohnes.

I can appreciate the effort and WOW factor of that car, but I'm still siding with Kinnan on raising the BS flag.

The most sacred cows endure the most grueling deaths.......or something along those lines.

I'm not against the idea of reviving the "Pro Fairgrounds" cars...but make them live up to their actual premise.

Tiresmoke!

Comment

Scared cows...grueling deaths....makes me think of Ruth's Chris...yummy!

The thing is a time capsule wrapped in a cartoon.

Pat Ganahl was the editor who had a couple of the more fairground fantastic Pro Street cars of the 1980's come to the drag strip...for the fail.

But remember kiddies...if it weren't for these cars we'd never had the goodness that is the Pump Gas Drags, Drag Week, all those 10.5 wide tires cars belting down drag strips, etc.

They had their day...which just so happened to coincide with me being a kid. Where some of you look at the era of velocity stacks and stink bug stances with fond memories, us "guys of the 80's" era junkies smile when we see these things...gutless blowers and all. ;D

Brian

Comment

They are cool looking, Kind of got the saying in my mind "You Aint Cool Unless Your Chrome Shines". It mite be possible to run all 3 blowers, but that is a lot of boost.

Comment

Working...
                              X