Street racer faces lifetime driving ban after killing trucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Street racer faces lifetime driving ban after killing trucker

I don't know anyone who hasn't done something stupid behind the wheel in their life. I know I have.

OK, so this poor sap messes up and someone dies. That's real bad.
    So, send him to jail and charge him with the appropriate punishment for manslaughter or whatever, but don't give him a life driving ban which will force him to be a criminal for the rest of his life, after he's already served his time.

Comment

Certainly I've done stupid stuff - still do. Although these days I'm mature enought to find a hunk of road I'm alone on before being stupid. If I was to hurt or kill an innocent because I was being stupid I guess I should be prepared to take whatever medicine I have coming. I think what many here are forgetting is the "whole driving is a priviledge, not a right" thing. You don't need to drive. Matter of fact, many people in urban centers go their entire lives without even owning a car. (as hard to accept as that may be to guys like us....)

Killing someone because of reckless indifference to the lives of others is pretty serious stuff. I don't think it's too harsh to take away the priviledge of driving from those people if they screw up. Particularily if they have a history of previous offences.

Comment

No, but I think the removal of that so called privilege will force that guy to drive illegally for the rest of his life.
        Our societies have been designed in such a way that driving is mandatory to do just about anything.
        I'll bet he will drive and end up getting caught over and over. He will now be a burden on the legal system for the rest of his life.

Just suggesting that when his debt is paid through a jail term, he should be allowed to live his life.
        His crime is missing any intent to kill someone.

Comment

I respectfully have to disagree.

You don't need to drive to live your life. You certainly will have to make adjustments, but it's not a neccesity. Many millions of people do it every day - even in Western cultures.

If the guy continues to drive illegally, then IMO it just shows how little respect he has for the law in the first place. Perhaps behind bars is where he belongs.

-There may not be any intent - but there does not seem to be any regard for the lives of others.

Comment

Oh well, it just seems to me that the punishment appears to be creating a criminal instead of rehabilitating one.

Comment

Welcome to America...........Steve.
              Living the dream!

Comment

Driving is not a necessary thing anymore....look at the trend in the 21st century....LIVE GREEN. Mass transit systems are taking land under the imminent domain clause at a record pace so people can get from point a to point b w/out driving. Bicycles are everywhere and TV commercials promote walking to get in shape. Carpool lanes have been added to most highways in and around almost every major city.

The whole idea of "creating a criminal instead of rehabilitating" doesn't make sense to me. If a person knows they have no license/insurance/whatever, and chooses to ignore that and drives anyway, he has no one to blame but himself. That alone shows his culpability in the crime. The "intent" more than likely came from whatever statements he gave at the time or during the investigation, and from what the investigators discovered regarding his speed, ect. The laws in Colorado indicate that 20 mph over the posted limit shows intent because a "reasonable" person knows when they are going that fast even without a speedometer.

I view this no differently than a person that goes out in their backyard, shoots a gun up in the air and ends up killing someone. Their intent wasn't to kill someone, but thru their reckless acts, someone was killed. That person should never be allowed to posses a firearm again.....they have showed their irresponsibility with one.
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

this crap sucks.......steve im coming to your country i got the beers dont worry ;D

Comment

Nah, as far as road laws/penalties and fuel prices are concerned, this place is really beginning to suck.

Comment

Try driving the speed limit on I-5 between LA and Sacramento and you will be the slowest car by far. It's how it's got it's nickname as the original California Speedway. Cars doing 85-90 with trucks doing 55-60 on a two lane freeway makes for some entertaining sites. It's the main reason why I put discs on the Impala. Having to mash the pedal when one truck decides to pass another truck right in front of me while doing 85 mph with manual drum brakes could best be described as dancing a jig.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

vehicular manslaughter
                        n. the crime of causing the death of a human being due to illegal driving of an automobile, including gross negligence, drunk driving, reckless driving or speeding. Vehicular manslaughter can be charged as a misdemeanor (minor crime with a maximum punishment of a year in county jail or only a fine) or a felony (punishable by a term in state prison) depending on the circumstances. Gross negligence or driving a few miles over the speed limit might be charged as a misdemeanor, but drunk driving resulting in a fatality is most likely treated as a felony. Death of a passenger, including a loved one or friend, can be vehicular manslaughter if due to illegal driving.
                        See also: gross negligence manslaughter reckless driving
                        ALM's Law.com online Real Life Dictionary of the Law. The easiest-to-read, most user-friendly guide to legal terms. Use it free!

Comment

Working...
                        X