No announcement yet.

Anyone ever rent a garage/shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update: Heard back from the landlord yesterday, apparently there has been quite a bit of interest in the property. After talking with her for a bit, we are one of the top prospects. Her main concern is getting burned by people who will end up not paying. This is where having a good, stable job and steady source of income comes into play. When she asked how soon we would be able to pay the rent and deposit if it went through, I was able to honestly say "give me an hour to get together with the other guy and get to the property and it's done." Also, letting her know we both had money set aside to cover emergencies seemed to put her more at ease. Some of the people looking at it were saying things like "I don't know if I can really afford the extra amount this will cost me" and stuff like that.

If you're thinking about renting a shop for personal use and are lucky enough to find a place, learn from this. Let them know that you're not just a dumbass that got it into your head to rent a space. Think it through, have the money set aside so you can pay that day if you need to, have some more set aside to cover rent and such in case of emergencies. Be able to have all utilities switched over to your name as soon as you take over the lease (another problem she was running into).

I'll update again as soon as I hear more, she said she would let us know one way or the other as soon as she makes a decision.

EDIT: The fact that there were 2 people doing this together also seemed to put her at ease, so in this case it seemed to work for us.
    Last edited by tedly; February 25, 2013, 05:49 AM.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Cool!
      Glad it is gonna work!
      Utilities switching is a good idea so you don't have to pay the previous tenant's unpaid bill!
      2 bays?

Comment

PICTURES MAN PICTURES!

Then we can start talking about Lumens per foot and all sorts of whackiness for the new space.

My "new to me" shop has 16 4 footers, 30x40x10 - and I don't think it's enough.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I guess you'd call it 2 bay - our half of the building is about 1600sf with between 1/4 and 1/3 of it being a small office, bathrooms, shower, and utility closet. With some car dollies you could fit 5 or 6 cars in it easily with room to spare, but you you wouldn't have a lot of space for working. We're thinking 3 or 4 permanent residents, an open work area, and enough space to pull something in for quick jobs.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            PICTURES MAN PICTURES!

Then we can start talking about Lumens per foot and all sorts of whackiness for the new space.

My "new to me" shop has 16 4 footers, 30x40x10 - and I don't think it's enough.
            Lmao! Nothing's final yet, but if it goes through there will be plenty of pictures. Until the lease is signed I'm still trying not to get too wrapped up in it and still keeping an eye out for other possibilities. I REALLY want this to go through though.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Barring any last minute hiccups, we're moving in on the 1st!!! Hell yeah!
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Rock on!

Comment

Good deal Ted, if I was still up there I'd help you move/break it in.
                  "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Hmmm... Housewarming party? I'm liking the sound of that.
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

"warming" would probably turn into testing glass bottle integrity on the floors....

HA!

I hope this is a great new chapter for you - eyes wide open, onward and upward!

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is going to drive me nuts! I just wanna sign it and start moving everything in! The Bird has been stagnant too damn long and my hands are too clean! I wanna get moving!
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Good move. I've been sharing a place with a good buddy for six years now. Had to move once, but we had kept everything movable. Still a giant PITA at my advanced age.

We are now in a place where several other guys at a similar point in life have their man cave/shops along with some actual automotive related businesses who do high end rods, fancy stainless exhaust, all kinds of stuff and everybody looks out for each other nights, weekends and other odd hours.
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

A friend of my Step-Dad's recently opened a "space for rent" buisness in Fontana, CA. Multitude of bays, shop air, all the power you can use available, each bay has a security camera pointed right at it, etc. I don't know all the details of costs, etc since I don't live there I didn't ask detail oriented questions.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Leaving now to sign the lease and get the keys, pics will be posted later today or tomorrow!
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

A wrenching we will go, a wrenching we will go - enjoy Tedly.
                                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                                X