Anyone ever rent a garage/shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever rent a garage/shop?

Not for a business, but for personal use. Virtually every gearhead I know has talked about it at one time or another but I don't know anyone that's done it. I was kicking around the idea with a buddy a few days ago and checked around just to see what was out there. Turns out there's a place not 15 minutes from the both of us that's well within the price range we were kicking around. So lets hear it, thoughts? Experiences?
    I'm probably wrong

I'll watch with interest.......several of us have talked about
    doing the same thing.
    I really could use some space.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I'm checking into as many details as I can. This looks very promising. It's going to cut into play money and parts/tools funds, but I'll actually be able to work on things so it would be a fair compromise in my situation.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

I've got a 2 car garage and barn but my boss is looking. Going to share a 2 car garage with a buddy. His half is $165 a month.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The one I found is a 1600sf shop with a small fenced outside storage area, several parking spaces, bathroom, and office space for $325 a piece. Trying to find out what kind of stuff tenants are responsible for, utilities, burglar alarms, etc...
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Think this is done more in places that the houses generally only one stall garages or none or none at all.Like Europe. I had a friend that rented a barn inside a town. Most of the other property was sold off so the owner only used it for some storage for the bar in Sheridan,In. Change the locks and have a security system because people will know your not there all the time.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

You read my mind.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Communication........ Good way to test a friendship..... Just sayin, been there. I too would like to have a group garage where everyone could share their talents to help each other with projects..... I can see that idea going south right away....... I apologize for my pessimism....... Best wishes and good luck!!
                200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Pessimism is welcome. Believe me, I know all about that. Had a friendship killed by going into business together. Luckily this is more like having a room mate than a business partner. As long as the bills are paid and no one steals anything, all is good.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Just be ready to pay the whole rent or move out if your buddy can not pay, he should be able to do the same. I found that I could move and buy a house with a small shop for what my old payment plus rent would be.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

That would be "move out" then. Luckily we're both older, stable, and can afford it. I've been looking into buying a house, but that's out of reach for now. This is the next best option.
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

My friend & his buddy rented a shop a few years ago. Rent was $375 ea. He says he spent more time doing favors & letting people use the shop then he did working & making money for himself. Of course his buddy bailed early & stuck him with the full rent. And he barely broke even when the lease was up. Now he's got his own out building & it was a lesson learned he tells me..

Comment

Cant afford rent of both. Have had a few friends that have rented shops. One was a member of the brotherhood of street racers. His place was a total gearhead heaven. Nice shop with the office as ahang out room. And, he had pinball machines and video games too.

I also know someone who is living in his shop. Obviously not married or involved with a lady these days by his primitive living conditions, but it works for him and his dog. Some people have suggested that to me, but I havent really looked very hard to find a place.

I would be very careful in going into a shop rental with a partner. Unless you two live in each other's garages and get along really well,.it could be a bad idea.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

id like to rent a place,,ive turned away alot of work lately... and could use a place to keep a car.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                              My friend & his buddy rented a shop a few years ago. Rent was $375 ea. He says he spent more time doing favors & letting people use the shop then he did working & making money for himself. Of course his buddy bailed early & stuck him with the full rent. And he barely broke even when the lease was up. Now he's got his own out building & it was a lesson learned he tells me..
                              Not going into this looking to make money, but if I can pick up some extra cash here and there it certainly won't hurt! Both of us are just looking for somewhere to work on our stuff.

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                              Cant afford rent of both. Have had a few friends that have rented shops. One was a member of the brotherhood of street racers. His place was a total gearhead heaven. Nice shop with the office as ahang out room. And, he had pinball machines and video games too.

I also know someone who is living in his shop. Obviously not married or involved with a lady these days by his primitive living conditions, but it works for him and his dog. Some people have suggested that to me, but I havent really looked very hard to find a place.

I would be very careful in going into a shop rental with a partner. Unless you two live in each other's garages and get along really well,.it could be a bad idea.
                              It won't be that cool, at least not for awhile. I've thought about moving in there, I'll burn that bridge when I come to it. I need a useable area to work on my stuff, so does he. Hopefully it'll work if this actually goes through.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X