Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day Unit Pumped Gas

Today's laugh at our house....

Sue Unit admits she's a little bit spoiled. Just a little bit. And also a bit machine-gizmo challenged. (Read: A LOT).

We've had Bluebelle the Fusion for a year and a half and Unit's filled the car up twice. The second time came this week, and by then she'd all but forgotten how to do it.

I always do it. If I get in the car and it's low on gas, I'll fill it up as part of whatever run I'm going on. But I all but never drive it, it's always either Red or Bubba.

And a tank full will last Bluebelle I don't even know how long when Unit drives her about 4 miles a day if-and-when.

So all that's going on as a sub-plot I didn't write or was even cognizant of, and this week Bluebelle got down to less than 50 miles to empty. Unit had to pump gas.

Unit said today while telling the story, "I kept waiting for you to fill her up, but you never DID!"

HahHAhAHAH!!!!!!!! Because I never DRIVE HER. HHAhahahaH!!

So parking beside the pump was hard enough, which side is the filler port on?.... Honey, I showed you years ago to look at the fuel gauge. It has a little pump and an arrow pointing to which side of the car. That's invaluable for rental cars. Oh.

So then which way to put in the credit card? Upside down and backward.... Honey, there's a picture on the pump of which way it goes in..... But the sun was shining real bright on the pump and that was hard to see and

The capless filler port on the new car. Where's the cap? Did we lose it already?

And the worst part was having to stand there watching the pump run for so long, and the wind was blowing and it was so cold and....(the convenience store up the street from us has the slowest pumps in Tennessee, maybe in America. They are SLOOOOOOW).

Honey, set the pump running and get back in the car!

Oh.

HHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Unit said, only since it's me I can make fun of her at the gas station. HahAHAhAHAH!!!

I love you Honey, I sure do.
    Last edited by pdub; February 21, 2013, 02:06 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Hate to burst your bubble.. That pump/filler thing is right most of the time.. By dumb luck.. Just a myth. None of my cars work like that and I got them on both sides..

As for filling Pam's car.. I do it because my key's the only one that works easily and she gets $5 a time.. I pretty much fill everything when I go to a gas station..

Comment

My mom had found the 1 (one) full service island in the county! She has never pumped gas in her 69.84 yrs.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I really recommend that you DO NOT set the pump running then get back into the car. Especially in winter, when friction across the seats can allow your clothes to develop a static charge that can discharge when you return to the pump and reach for the handle...........instant fire. Tough it out, put your gloves on, and get out of the wind if you can.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Hate to burst your bubble.. That pump/filler thing is right most of the time.. By dumb luck.. Just a myth. None of my cars work like that and I got them on both sides..
          My general rule is if it's American, it's on the drivers side, if it's foreign, it's on the passenger side. I have seen both rules wrong, but I'd estimate it to be 75% correct.

Comment

ME's HHR is on the right. Trips me up every time but I don't think I ever looked for an arrow on the dash. I'll check next time. But cool that Bluebell has one.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
              My general rule is if it's American, it's on the drivers side, if it's foreign, it's on the passenger side. I have seen both rules wrong, but I'd estimate it to be 75% correct.
              94 Buick Century, (wife's driver) left side
              90 suburban and 77 chev flatbed, right side
              None have arrows.. Too old?

Comment

94 Buick Century, (wife's driver) left side
                90 suburban and 77 chev flatbed, right side
                None have arrows.. Too old?
                Yes. Look at anything new, it's on there.

Comment

The filler for my Ford is on the passenger side, my Chevy on the driver side, and my mother's Chrysler is on the passenger side, go figure. My mom is 82, and has never operated a gas pump. My dad took care of it for years, now I do. I only pull the wrong way into the fuel island once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelk View Post
                    The filler for my Ford is on the passenger side, my Chevy on the driver side, and my mother's Chrysler is on the passenger side, go figure. My mom is 82, and has never operated a gas pump. My dad took care of it for years, now I do. I only pull the wrong way into the fuel island once in a while.
                    My first ex......Unit's a brilliant lady in a lot of regards, she just has trouble with mechanical things...my first ex drove up to the pump, got out, saw that the filler was on the other side. She got back in, made a U-turn around the pump bank, parked, got out and saw that the filler was STILL on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                      My first ex......Unit's a brilliant lady in a lot of regards, she just has trouble with mechanical things...my first ex drove up to the pump, got out, saw that the filler was on the other side. She got back in, made a U-turn around the pump bank, parked, got out and saw that the filler was STILL on the other side.
                      Oh boy. Sounds a like keeper to me.

It is scary she has that much trouble with a pump full of flammable liquids. It is really scary when something goes wrong and they cant figure out how to shut the pump off. I've seen people pull a running pump out of gas tank and panic when its still pumping gas because they have a gas cap shoved in the pump nozzle. They have dropped it on the ground. One person stuck the nozzle in the garbage can next to the pump then screamed its costing her more money. Those people, imo, should not be driving a car.

In all honesty, you should take Sue down to the gas station and show her how to use the pump. And, how to shut it off in an emergency. Unless, you want some twit kid filming her on his phone instead of helping to put out the flames.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        Oh boy. Sounds a like keeper to me.

It is scary she has that much trouble with a pump full of flammable liquids. It is really scary when something goes wrong and they cant figure out how to shut the pump off. I've seen people pull a running pump out of gas tank and panic when its still pumping gas because they have a gas cap shoved in the pump nozzle. They have dropped it on the ground. One person stuck the nozzle in the garbage can next to the pump then screamed its costing her more money. Those people, imo, should not be driving a car.

In all honesty, you should take Sue down to the gas station and show her how to use the pump. And, how to shut it off in an emergency. Unless, you want some twit kid filming her on his phone instead of helping to put out the flames.
                        HAhahAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!! It's not quite that bad Scott. She filled her own car with gas all of her life until I started doing it about 12 years ago.

Frankly, I think she's sandbagging. She just wants me to fill her car for her.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          HAhahAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!! It's not quite that bad Scott. She filled her own car with gas all of her life until I started doing it about 12 years ago.

Frankly, I think she's sandbagging. She just wants me to fill her car for her.
                          Why pay for gas when you will....

Comment

Why pay for gas when you will....
                            It's all the same money. It doesn't matter which one of us does it.

It's the physical act, filling the car.

Okay I'll do it.

Comment

My Sebring had it on the passenger side, but it's basically a Mitsubishi (that's my justification and I'm sticking to it). It's really annoying having to walk around the car just to put gas in it. Maybe I'm lazy?

Comment

Working...
                              X