Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 261 m.p.g. Vw xl1 . . . Going into production

The specs . . .

.8 liter 2-cylinder diesel . . . plug in hybrid . . . . carbon fiber.
    0-60 in 12.5 seconds . . . 99 m.p.h. top speed.

Not much to get excited about, except that it may help bring fender skirts back into style.

Good look for a pro stocker?

Comment

I don't why it's so hard for them to get the rear of cars it look nice, this is plain F'n UGLY!!!......

Comment

Great...until it has to meet DOT and EPA standards!

Comment

what was that honda car that looked like that. I see one local in the nice weather.

I was just thinking hypermiling nerd things on my last ride this evening...the 1781cc subaru.
          my car runs normal with a 22.4 pegged stoich meter...its starting to make me angry. Now I have only verfied with the gauge it does in fact use nothing.

then I got to wondering...what in the hell is 14.7 to 1?

is that an inline fours tolerance before the jackhammer pops a headgasket?

I am hoping to come down to 30mpg city..right now its way the freak out there..as usual.

I am glad these machines exist.
          as jay leno once said..
          the more of those they build, the more classics can have some gas.

not exact quote, words are the same result.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 21, 2013, 05:21 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Cant wait to see one squashed up against the Jersey barrier on the Cross Bronx Expressway.

Comment

I think its cool as hell.

First, if they can sell them cheap enough and a bunch of folks buy them, then there will be more gas for me to burn in my favorite form of transportation.

Second, at some point, if they are common enough, I'll buy one cheap, stick a highpowered engine in it and go to Bonneville.

Third, I can just steal aero ideas off it.

Why would anyone complain about a major manufacturer trying to stretch the bounds of MPG and lightweight manufacturing. We need to get all the folks that want to drive appliances into fuel efficient vehicles, or mass transit. With the demand for fuel only going up, globally (China is just waking up to the joys of vehicle ownership), efforts like this should be supported.
              I'm still learning

Comment

It's probably built better than it's predecessor

Click image for larger version

Name:	00017111_Citroen_SM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	867501

Click image for larger version

Name:	db2013au00173_large-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	867502
                Last edited by squirrel; February 21, 2013, 09:16 PM.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Good call on the Citroen DS/CX comparison.

I'm just wondering if you could get a piddly 80+ m.p.g. on the primary hybrid propulsion system with the extra weight of a "secondary" "power-on-demand" twin-charged mountain motor V8 and driveline installed . . . .
                  Last edited by 38P; February 22, 2013, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                    I think its cool as hell.

First, if they can sell them cheap enough and a bunch of folks buy them, then there will be more gas for me to burn in my favorite form of transportation.

Second, at some point, if they are common enough, I'll buy one cheap, stick a highpowered engine in it and go to Bonneville.

Third, I can just steal aero ideas off it.

Why would anyone complain about a major manufacturer trying to stretch the bounds of MPG and lightweight manufacturing. We need to get all the folks that want to drive appliances into fuel efficient vehicles, or mass transit. With the demand for fuel only going up, globally (China is just waking up to the joys of vehicle ownership), efforts like this should be supported.
                    ^^^^^

Vehicles like this one will be necessary to offset the fuel use of high-performance cars to meet corporate average fuel economy standards. As long as we're not forced by the government into such cars, they're great. Market choice is great.

I'm also guessing that a milder hybrid, or even straight diesel version of this car could achive startling m.p.g. at a cheaper price.

It's interesting that VW group is going to build this 261 m.p.g. VW, yet also builds the 267 m.p.h. Bugatti Veyron Veyron EB 16.4 . . . bookending the automotive spectrum.

Comment

I remember it from a few years back, I doubt it'll stay at 261 when it has to meet emissions and safety regulations though. Look at how thin those tires are, like somebody put 4 donuts on it. Wonder what size tank it'll have, wouldn't need more than 2 gallons to have the range of a normal car.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                        ^^^^^

Vehicles like this one will be necessary ~~~~. As long as we're not forced by the government into such cars, they're great. Market choice is great.

are you kidding me? Anything with horsepower is going to be far out of the reach of your average car owner. Govt does not want people in "inefficient" cars. and the way to keep them out is to price them out. Its not 'market choice' - its market manipulation.

maybe i'm just pi$$ed about being forced to become a 'have not' - but i still think these cars suck a$$. ugly little unispiring turd mobiles. bleh.
                        Last edited by oldsman496; February 22, 2013, 06:42 PM.
                        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                          are you kidding me? Anything with horsepower is going to be far out of the reach of your average car owner. Govt does not want people in "inefficient" cars. and the way to keep them out is to price them out. Its not 'market choice' - its market manipulation.

maybe i'm just pi$$ed about being forced to become a 'have not' - but i still think these cars suck a$$. ugly little unispiring turd mobiles. bleh.
                          I'd buy one if it was like... 9,995.00

and I'd drive it, bored out of my f*ing mind, on the way to my f*ing job, and I'd charge it at their pathetic electric charging stations that have had to date 0 visits. Man, think of the gas money I could save for my hotrods. I get a little pissy about 5.00 gas with a truck turning in 15mpg with a ~40 mile round trip. I can't really afford to live close to the office, it'd make me happy to not make
                          MF*ING EXXON any richer than I have to.

the next time they change out the big server UPS I'm gonna ask about the two pallets of 6v Trojan batteries they replace. One of the guys in the lab got them the last time as a freebie. They were still good, but you replace UPS batteries on big server / storage on a schedule no matter what.

I wanna build an electric Sterling

Kubota v2203 and a Prius motor'd FWD ... maybe something like a Razor's fwd front end setup.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                          X