Another Nelson Supercar ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Nelson Supercar ...

This has to be my favorite year of A bodies .....

Last edited by Bamfster; February 22, 2013, 06:43 AM.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

As with all of Nelson's megabuck stuff, it's well done. And at least it's brand loyal (i.e. LSx in a Chevy). It should get its fair share of magazine ink (if it hasn't already).

I'm a bit troubled by the apparent lack of safety gear in a 1,400 h.p. car, though.

Also, after seeing this video and reading another of Jeff Smith's "don't try turbocharging at home" advice columns in this Month's CC, I wonder if these sorts of "2nd Mortgage/cash-out-the-401K/best-of-everything" pro cars don't end up discouraging some from trying turbos on a smaller budget at home.

After all, you don't really need those $5,000 stainless steel headers or an LSx racing block or all that bling for a streetable turbo car. Here's something that's a tad more approachable for the average turbo Bangshifter: http://www.toohighpsi.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
      Here's something that's a tad more approachable for the average turbo Bangshifter: http://www.toohighpsi.com/
      Too bad it's a furd .... an LS would make it more palatable .... just sayin'
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

The title begs the question:

There were other Nelson supercars?
        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
          The title begs the question:

There were other Nelson supercars?
          F-Bomb is a Nelson supercar . . . didn't you see "Outrageously Faster and Unbelievably More Furious IV" (or whatever it was called) . . . it can smoke the "tars" and pop "wheelies" on dirt . . . isn't that "super?"

Last edited by 38P; February 22, 2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

someday, that motor, my Corvette
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
              Here's something that's a tad more approachable for the average turbo Bangshifter: http://www.toohighpsi.com/
              Click image for larger version

Name:	mckayla-maroney-not-impressed-getty.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	867530
              sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Perhaps we need to define "supercar."

I assume that a certain degree of reliability is built in...

The F-bomb was appropriately named, I love that car but it can't seem to stay drivable for any length of time. I think my cars are more reliable than a Nelson "supercar."
                Last edited by Bob Holmes; February 22, 2013, 03:29 PM.
                I'm still learning

Comment

Hey, that color looks familiar. Hell, I cant hook half that power on the street with much larger sticky tires in a lighter car.

Cool ride though. Looking forward to building something with a hairdryer.

Comment

I assume that a certain degree of reliability is built in...

The F-bomb was appropriately named, I love that car but it can't seem to stay drivable for any length of time. I think my cars are more reliable than a Nelson "supercar."
                    hence the 10 second mustang.
                    the furd likes boost. in fact, that build is a daydream from way back, glad to see it today.

we even talked of this in high school. why gm had snappy throttles, and the fords took awhile.

length of stroke. Ignoring the fact my 301 pontiac set off the conversation...

the turbo ford taking it easy is not a gimmick.

it is damn good math. I like seeing it.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 22, 2013, 04:34 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Good point. I like how the late, great Roger Huntington defined it in his seminal book "American Supercar" http://www.amazon.com/American-Super.../dp/0895862212

Back in the days before "muscle car" was coined, hot rodding journalists often described big factory V8s in lighter bodies as "supercars."

The European press seems to use the term only for exclusive exotics . . . asserting that iron from the Colonies is simply too crude.

My guess is that Nelson's stuff is about as reliable as any other "tuner" type car . . . not OEM, but reasonably reliable in light of the extreme performance envelope in which it operates.

And I'd bet that they're far more highway friendly than any "all-motor" American car of the same performance potential. I could be wrong, though.

Comment

1400 hp on race gas. 1000 hp on 91 cali gas. About 400 more horsepower than ever useful on a street car. Street tires just go up in smoke. But, hey, if that is what you want from your $60,000 engine swap, by all means go for it.

I like the looks of the car, interior not so much. Looks like someone opened rear wheel wells sometime back. They almost match the shape of the fronts exactly. That is different and not hideous. Sunflower Yellow, or whatever GM call it on a '65 Chevelle, is a classy color.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          1400 hp on race gas. 1000 hp on 91 cali gas. About 400 more horsepower than ever useful on a street car. Street tires just go up in smoke.
                          That feeds into the point about no safety equipment . . . there's not really any place to use that much potential power, even if you could hook it up. This one's more about bragging rights, "pro touring" photo-ops. and lawnchair racing than functional performance.

Still, Nelson does nice work.

Comment

^^^ Dave Nutting and I were debating this very point today. he found a BangShifty car that he thinks would be a great feature car. It is Urge Overkill to the max but no safety equipment. Ultimately, we're going to feature the car because it is unique, home built, and fast enough to scare a brown streak in your shorts.

At the end of the day, not every car goes to the track, no one builds a road legal car with a roll cage, even those that go 200+, and a hot rod is a hot rod, 'cage or not.

The money thing is another kettle of fish. I understand that there must have been a pile of it invested in that car, but looking at stuff in terms of relativity with respect to the owner it is probably about like the rest of us regular Joe-bag-a-donuts types. The few thousand bucks I throw into a Caprice with respect to my personal "wealth" (most hilarious use of that word ever) is probably close to what the dude who paid for that thing with regard to his.

Just my .02

Brian
                            Last edited by Brian Lohnes; February 22, 2013, 05:25 PM.
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

well.... that 'bu could do wheelies on dirt just like f-bomb if they used a different car that was gutted, and it was then re-inforced to support the 1000lbs it needed in the trunk do to that wheelie....

just sayin'

thats a really cool car...everybody loves excess and that car has plenty of it. but seriously, what the hell good is all that power if all you can do with it is a burnout?

seriously.... what a waste of a 401k account.

but if ya gave it to me fur xmas, i'd hug ya.
                              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Working...
                              X