Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McLaren

P1 supercar will be a 903-hp plug-in hybrid

[T]he P1 would offer 903 hp thanks to a combination of a twin-turbo 3.8-liter V8 and a massive battery pack that can be charged from the outside - making it the world's fastest plug-in hybrid.

McLaren says the 3.8 liter V-8 will churn out 787 hp on its own, while the electric motor and battery pack add an additional 176 hp, all of which routes through the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission to the rear wheels.
    http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...153640689.html

How long will it be until such "electric nitrous" systems make their way into Bangshiftable cars? Or will costs and complexity prevent it? Are there any Bangshifters who wonder about high-performance hybrids?
    Last edited by 38P; February 22, 2013, 08:42 AM.

Why wouldn't a bangshifter be interested in instant torque?

I've got a co-worker that has a high-performance electric kart. That thing will leave your teeth behind when it takes off.

Both Toyota and Honda will be running hybrids in GT300 this year, and Audi and Toyota ran hybrids at LeMan. There is a very interesting article in Racecar Engineering, about the lap time variation between the Audi e-tron and the Ultra, as well as several charts dealing with their efficiency.
    I'm still learning

Comment

KERS comes to real life cars.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
        mercedes played with that..still do possibly.
        porsche.

I still have two axle stubs that can be used to be driven by alternate something...electric motors, inertia (kers)..and still have the rwd at all times.

if mclaren is claiming the fastest now, porsche is just going to walk away the next move.
        competition good.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
          DUDE! You haven't joined the boycott? Time's a wastin.'

It's interesting that KERS hasn't captured the popular imagination as much as "Turbo" did during F1's turbo era. But then KERS is wonky, expensive and hasn't been all that successful.

One of my neighbors has a hybrid Tahoe . . . and it always makes me wonder whether that Electro-hydramatic transmission could work in a "serious" vehicle . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
            I still have two axle stubs that can be used to be driven by alternate something...electric motors, inertia (kers)..and still have the rwd at all times.
            Build it!

Ferrari Enzo's replacement is apparently going to have an electric booster shot . . . .

Comment

Working...
            X