Quest for 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for 200

So I posted this before and can't find it now.one of my big life goals is to go 200. So what's the best way to get there.. Anyone wanna volunteer, I wanna do it in either a race or street car I am not picky,so what's your opinions.i can pay or whatever so what's everyone's ideas

C6 Corvette, shot of nitrous or a single turbo.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

4000 pound minimum.

thats just me.
      although fellow opinions do agree sometimes.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have looked into buying a car to do it but it is a.ot of money invested. I was looking for more of a way to do it once but that may not be an option

Comment

Back when the ECTA was in Maxton, there was someone that had a rental program. Basically he provided the car and you worked your way up in licenses. Never new the name but I bet Dan Stokes, Right Pedal, JRoberts,Or Keith know.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Dennis Zainfield, IIRC. He has a fleet of cars and rents seat time. He'll even get you a hat if they can find you a class.

Dan

Comment

I mean the validity of doing it at one of those places would be awsome but I would do it anywhere, I plan on having a camera with me for any proof and nostalgia moments needed. I raced go karts as a kid the jr dragsters then I bracket raced and did a bit of street racing. I don't even know if me piloting the car is that big of an issue or justa ride along would prolly be good for now

Comment

If you don't have a time slip it didn't happen. I can't tell you how many "200 on the expressway" Hayabusas we've seen at the ECTA. They run 183 stock and in good repair - 186 with an excellent pilot. GPS and other speed measurement devices get less accurate the faster you go and seemingly always indicate faster than reality. With a slip from a calibrated timing system you have some validity.

No clue how you would get a ride-along in the passenger's seat. I don't think any racing sanctioning body allows more than 1 person in the car. Maybe someone at Silver State could do that?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by brandontinley View Post
                  I posted this before and can't find it now.
                  You posted it on the Land Speed Racing board ...

This is the place for all topics related to Bonneville, El Mirage, Maxton, The Texas Mile, and even some open-road talk

Last edited by Monster; February 24, 2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I remember from a old chat tape I bought on the diver state race, you can have a navigator . Atleast in some classes. I remember because a husband and wife team with a super car of some kind blew a tire flipped a lot and burst into flames. So yeah, I can get someone to trust you with their life.......a ride along there would be possible. Having riddenvin a Shelby gt500 that hit two trees after going 2 tenths of a mile, its going to take me a while to trust anyone with more than 300 horses. Best of luck in your quest.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Interesting thread. Friends and I've talked about this too. We talked loosely on putting skinny rear tires and lot of gear in his Super Comp dragster. But, we hear it's not all that easy. Many licensing steps, 2 fire systems..............................
                      STUGOTS

Comment

I have a few ideas for getting there, maybe a sport bike with a side car would be a decent option

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          If you don't have a time slip it didn't happen. I can't tell you how many "200 on the expressway" Hayabusas we've seen at the ECTA. They run 183 stock and in good repair - 186 with an excellent pilot. GPS and other speed measurement devices get less accurate the faster you go and seemingly always indicate faster than reality. With a slip from a calibrated timing system you have some validity.

No clue how you would get a ride-along in the passenger's seat. I don't think any racing sanctioning body allows more than 1 person in the car. Maybe someone at Silver State could do that?

Dan
                          Disagree, it doesn't require a timeslip to go 200mph. You can rent a ride in an airplane, or you can take a GPS along for a ride on a properly setup hayabusa, which *in reality* have a WIDE range of top speeds depending mostly on atmospheric conditions. They don't top out at any one speed.

Now, the SAFEST way to do it it at a sanctioned event like Wilmington, but it's preposterous to think that you can only do it there. Same way that it's cool to prove your car's streetability bhy competing in Drag Week, but it's not required for your car to be "street legal" or whatever.

Find a friend with a single turbo Supra and bring a GPS along for a ride? My hand held GPS still has a recorded top speed of 186mph (every bit as accurate as an event timer, perhaps better) which is the point I waived off because that is FLYING on a highway.
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I have don't it in a airplane, just always had the urge to do it in a car

Comment

I like Scott a lot and have great appreciation for his skills but I have to disagree with him on this one. We've just seen this way too many times. Of course, all of these were run at Maxton (the top speed of a 'Busa might vary at Wilmington - haven't seen that yet) and so were at the same elevation, similar barometer, etc. No doubt there is some variation based on ambient temp. One of the interesting things is that the Hayabusas are remarkably consistent, a tribute to the skill of the modifiers.

Either all of these 'Busa riders were lying or their GPS systems are off at top speeds. Scott may have a better piece but these guys were pretty adamant (another amazing consistency) that they had a 200 MPH stock Hayabusa as measured on their GPS. Most claimed that our timers were off but if you know Joe you know that they are as well calibrated and maintained as is humanly possible.

I like on-road instrumentation and I know that it can yield tons of useful info but it's not "the word". If you claim to have gone 200 and the audience is LSR folks, they'll ask to see your time slip. We've all heard the 200 MPH claims. Besides, going 200 on a street or highway is nuts.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X