Major wreck at Daytona - many fans seriously injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
    Wow, that clip gives the impression that the tire came through the access gate in the catch fence. Found the one weak link in the whole chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled View Post
      Wow, that clip gives the impression that the tire came through the access gate in the catch fence. Found the one weak link in the whole chain.
      The tire that hit the fan actually went OVER the fence, can be seen in the TV coverage.

Comment

I won't claim that this event will "end" NASCAR...but it damned sure won't HELP them, either. HOW they handle this will be more of a factor in how they come out of this.

We all know as racers and spectators that any form of motorsports is dangerous, and at any moment we could be hurt/killed by something happening on the track(or not). Still.....I think it's time to reconsider the catch fence, and spectator seating arrangements at Daytona and other tracks.

I've been reading comments on other sites about tethering the spindles and such as is done in F1...I could've sworn they were already DOING this in stock-cars? Of course, a tether doesn't do a hell of a lot of good if it's severed.

Prayers/positive vibes for those injured.......and hats off to Tony for not wanting to ham it up in Victory Lane afterwards.
        Last edited by tiresmoke!; February 23, 2013, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Saw the video. Violent...wow. Also commend Stewart, as well as Keselowski and others for first thoughts being of the fans, and for Keselowski and Regan Smith taking the blame for the wreck. At least there is some class in NASCAR.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Last edited by Schtauffer; February 23, 2013, 08:51 PM.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Good gosh.

All I'm getting to, and I'm probably over-reacting as I always do, is that NASCAR is going to get sued out of their natural-born ass. And lose. And beyond that, they'll have to look at every track on the circuit and prove that nobody can get hurt just by going to the bathroom after the fans drink 17 beers per each.

I just believe they're done. I think that'll do it. I hate it, don't want to see it, but I think they're done.

EDIT: We'll see if cash flow prevails over logic.
              Last edited by pdub; February 23, 2013, 10:30 PM.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I'm pretty sure this sums up why you aren't a lawyer.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  Or why I should be, in this case.

Comment

I'm always melodramatic, I realize that. So, what am I missing?

Brian pointed out the legal language that's on the back of the ticket saying if you film it, it's the property of NASCAR. That alone sucks.

But where is the language that says if you get seriously injured or killed watching this event, it's not our fault? Is that language there? I mean, I really don't know. Is there anything like that implied or said? Where does the responsibility lie?
                    Last edited by pdub; February 23, 2013, 11:17 PM.

Comment

You are clearly babbling about things you know nothing about. Just like when a fan of baseball gets hit by a foul ball but on a more extreme level. All sports have essentially the same legal contract that goes with the ticket purchase and its been repeatedly defended in court. They can sue but it won't be anything grander than what the insurance covers.
                      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 23, 2013, 11:23 PM.

Comment

You are clearly babbling about things you know nothing about. Just like when a fan of baseball gets hit by a foul ball but on a more extreme level. All sports have essentially the same legal contract that goes with the ticket purchase and its been repeatedly defended in court. They can sue but it won't be anything grander than what the insurance covers.
                        Randall, "clearly babbling" is better than vaguely babbling.

So what happens to the folks in the hospital who were at the race. Who pays the bill?

Comment

The events insurance company as Bob mentioned earlier.

Comment

Peewee, I also have to bring up personal responsibility. It's been brought up here before...you went to a race, there is the chance you might get injured. You go to a dog park, you might get bit. Same thing.

Maybe it's just me, but within reason, trying to find out who's fault it is seems ridiculous. In this case, two men admitted fault for causing the incident. But nobody could have predicted that the car would go for the fence and that the fence would act like a cheese grater for a Nationwide series car. There is risk in everything. That's why there are those clauses on the tickets...you are accepting the fact that you might become an unsuspecting participant in what is about to happen.
                            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
                              Peewee, I also have to bring up personal responsibility. It's been brought up here before...you went to a race, there is the chance you might get injured. You go to a dog park, you might get bit. Same thing.

Maybe it's just me, but within reason, trying to find out who's fault it is seems ridiculous. In this case, two men admitted fault for causing the incident. But nobody could have predicted that the car would go for the fence and that the fence would act like a cheese grater for a Nationwide series car. There is risk in everything. That's why there are those clauses on the tickets...you are accepting the fact that you might become an unsuspecting participant in what is about to happen.

Bryan, I think I'm coming off all wrong here, saying it wrong. Implying the wrong thing.

If we race, and we get hurt, we got hurt by racing. That's a given. Roll and tumble and hopefully not burn. We knew what we were risking by racing.

My line of thought is if I own a track and fans get hurt, that's the whole nuther ball of wax. That's what blows my mind. That's what I don't understand, those implications. I just can't see anything else than the lawyers shutting it all down. Because I don't understand the legal process to start with. If you can sue McDonald's for getting burned by hot coffee, you can sure sue NASCAR for getting injured in the grandstands. My only line of thought.

Comment

I predict if anything this will make NASCAR more popular.

As far as ending the sport...

Jeez, we're becoming a nation of people too afraid to go outside.. And why not? So we can stay inside watch tv commercials and order more crap we don't need off QVC.
                                Powertour off/on since 2002
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X