Major wreck at Daytona - many fans seriously injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major wreck at Daytona - many fans seriously injured

Today is the Nationwide Series' run at Daytona, the Drive4COPD 300. It's a pack racing affair. And like any pack race, there are big crashes. Including one on the final lap that put an engine nearly in the grandstand.

Doesn't look good. Hope it doesn't end up like Reno. Scary stuff.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Good gosh, wheel embedded in the fence, engine gone somewhere, big debris field, way up into the stands they say

Thoughts and prayers to the injured fans, every driver is said to be okay.
    Last edited by pdub; February 23, 2013, 03:26 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

scary stuff.

I was at unity raceway in maine when it was the wild west...much slower scale stuff like that happened all the freaking time.

too slow really to send stuff, but little bullet chunks still flew. cartwheeling by the fence..

hope no one is killed.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Amazing, the talkers on Speed Channel, including Kyle Petty are raving about how safe NASCAR is. That's kinda odd on the day they sent 15 fans to the hospital. That's just weird. I guess they're trying their hardest on their hardest day to save their dying sport. But I just don't get that. I really don't. That safe talk doesn't get it this evening.

Wonder if the lawyers will be who kills it all, after today.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          Good gosh, wheel embedded in the fence, engine gone somewhere, big debris field, way up into the stands they say

Thoughts and prayers to the injured fans, every driver is said to be okay.
          Engine cradle, engine, and one tire stuck in the fence. Other front tire hit fan in stands. People were being treated as high as 75 feet above the track. CNN has a video from a fan who was next to the guy hit by tire.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Amazing, the talkers on Speed Channel, including Kyle Petty are raving about how safe NASCAR is. That's kinda odd on the day they sent 15 fans to the hospital. That's just weird. I guess they're trying their hardest on their hardest day to save their dying sport. But I just don't get that. I really don't. That safe talk doesn't get it this evening.

Wonder if the lawyers will be who kills it all, after today.
            The safety talk is all just corporate NASCAR damage control. They're even claiming copyright over cell phone videos from fans in the stands and having them taken down from YouTube. I will be shocked if someone isn't dead. Did you see the wheel and tire embedded in the third or fourth row of seats?

Being involved with the aviation community I was witness to what happened after the Reno Air Race disaster. Injuries and death amongst spectators and fans won't end any sport. Just makes lawyers rich, makes insurance rediculously expensive and keeps it a rich mans sport.

Comment

About 15 fans to the hospital but all apparently minor in nature. All drivers ok but you have to talk safety, at 190 mph plus and the resulting damage, the safety equipment did its job as there were no deaths and only minor injuries. I'm impressed. The engine was stuck in the fence but a tire did make it to the stands but nothing serious resulted.
              Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

It's interesting to watch the news on Speed, then on CNN. Speed, being under to contract to Nascar, are choosing words extremely carefully. CNN doing the usual thing of making the story sound horrorfying and terrible.

In the future, Speed and Nascar will have tons of air time to show how they will upgrade catch fences to show the new safety stuff.
                Last edited by Scott Liggett; February 23, 2013, 04:18 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto View Post
                  About 15 fans to the hospital but all apparently minor in nature. All drivers ok but you have to talk safety, at 190 mph plus and the resulting damage, the safety equipment did its job as there were no deaths and only minor injuries. I'm impressed. The engine was stuck in the fence but a tire did make it to the stands but nothing serious resulted.
                  Do you want to catch that tire bear? Here, hold my beer, I've gotta catch this 80 pound wheel that's coming at 180 mph.

Comment

They're saying one is critical and was in surgery - that doesn't sound minor to me. I saw a video from the stands, and the reaction of the people who saw what happened was pretty frantic, and they were stripping off their shirts for bandages and screaming for a medic.

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto View Post
                      I'm hearing about a number of severe injuries. 6 trauma patients and two critical.

Comment

That Posted Fan Video is flat @$$ scary,5 seat to his left a tire is planted into a seat,somebody there was hurt pretty bad.

Think about this,the stands were no where near full,I would say 50% in that area,6 tramas could have been 20 if those stands were full.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
                          That Posted Fan Video is flat @$$ scary,5 seat to his left a tire is planted into a seat,somebody there was hurt pretty bad.

Think about this,the stands were no where near full,I would say 50% in that area,6 tramas could have been 20 if those stands were full.
                          I surfed and surfed really just wanting to find out, not even wanting to see it, but sure enough NASCAR took that video down.

How can NASCAR claim rights to a cell phone video taken by a fan in the stands? How can they do that? They must already know they're in serious trouble, and they are. That's bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post

Saw on Speed that it wasn't just the tire and wheel. The brake, spindle and much of the suspension was still attached which doubles the weight being tossed at that guy. Ouch.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I surfed and surfed really just wanting to find out, not even wanting to see it, but sure enough NASCAR took that video down.

How can NASCAR claim rights to a cell phone video taken by a fan in the stands? How can they do that? They must already know they're in serious trouble, and they are. That's bizarre.
                              They have a digital media team monitoring all automotive fan and enthusiasts sites. They're killing every video and dissenting opinion possible. Corporate policy is to control reality and mold perception.

Comment

Working...
                              X