The underwater robot competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The underwater robot competition

I saw a hot rod at the hotel we're staying at for the underwater robot competition here in Chandler AZ.

Anyways, if you want to see what the kids are up to tonight, there are a couple links and more pictures on my web page. We should be going at around 12:20 tonight, hopefully the live video stream will be working and slightly interesting to watch. They have a lot more cameras and lights this year so you can see what's going on.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Re: The underwater robot competition

One of my friends that got a degree in Mechanical Engineering was into underwater ROV's for a while, not sure if he ever actually built one. That's cool stuff there. Was the competition so late at night to simulate the darkness at depth?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The competition will be going on tonight, and yes it's to simulate being way deep where you can't see anything without bringing your own light. Although being only 13 feet deep in a pool is not nearly as challenging as being in "deep water".
      My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
        Although being only 13 feet deep in a pool is not nearly as challenging as being in "deep water".
        From an ABS Plastic crushing pressure point of view?

Comment

yeah...but also from an "everything is leaking" point of view. Sealing motor shafts and wires and things gets way more difficult the deeper you go. Even 13 feet presents a challenge, the motors we use just barely seal at that depth.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Ah.

Comment

That gives you an idea of how much pressure really is
              at military sub depth.

Must be incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                That gives you an idea of how much pressure really is
                at military sub depth.

Must be incredible.
                Been there done that. 44 psi per every 100 feet. Multiply pressure at only a measly 400 feet deep and you have 176 pounds per square inch -- now calculate the approximate area of a Los Angeles class submarine (360 feet long, 33 feet in diameter = 5.4 million square inches) and you have about 475,000 TONS of pressure on the ship. (sorry, besides being a former submarine sailor, I am also a bit of a math geek)

One time before a deep dive, we tied a string across the torpedo room about 2' off the floor so it was tight at periscope depth. Then when we went on our deep dive the string sagged almost to the floor -- just from the hull compressing. You guys would love the sound of a hull creaking on a deep dive! :o

Anyways, along the topic of sealing motor shafts at high pressure, you cannot really "seal" them. You just have a controlled leak and your efforts revolve around it being a controlled leak and being able to pump out the water that leaks in. If you tried to seal a motor shaft at high pressure you wind up with a lot of seal pressure on the shaft that either burns up the seal or stalls the motor. A little water leaking in serves as lubrication, you just have to have somewhere for the water to go so it doesn't short anything out.

Comment

Several of us former bubbleheads around here, myself included. farenschnell too. I've got more time on the sh***er at test depth than...
                  1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Yep....The USS Louisville lost shaft seals while out "cruising" ;)...1500 Gallon/Hour Leak..That was with the inflatable safety seal inflated :o

They had to cruise on the surface for a loooonngg time before they got home ;D

We left the 10K Evaporator Relief Valve lifted once when we dived....That was a lot of water..3" pipe....Really fast :P

Didn't do that again..I was ERLL watch and about crapped my pants...Stupid ER Upper level ;D

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I watched the whole thing last year. it was pretty cool. its interesting to see what differnt people come up with to solve the same problem.

is it going to be the same design and missions as last year?

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300
                        Several of us former bubbleheads around here, myself included. farenschnell too. I've got more time on the sh***er at test depth than...
                        ;D Haven't heard that in a while . . .

When were you guys in and what boats? I was in from 86 - 94 on the Houston 713 (TAD for a West Pac), SeaHorse 669 (Charleston) and Newport News 750 (Norfolk). Was an STS1(SS) when I transferred to CIV-LANT-FLEET.

PS. sorry to thread jack. I'm interested in what the "mission and objectives" are for the underwater robot competition. Cool stuff!

Comment

MM2(SS) Nuke- 1997-2002- Pearl Harbor- SSN-771 -USS Columbia- Got the boot when I tore my shoulder out. Miss it a lot.
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by FORDGUY
                            is it going to be the same design and missions as last year?
                            different mission, different robot design (we used 3 this year!) and different results...most of the teams have gone, we did not very well, the kids say it's because the cameras just were too cheap and dont' work well in low light. Oh well, its been fun and very educational.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I'm an O-ganger. L. Mendel Rivers 96-99 out of Norfolk. I'm still in, but no longer driving them. Building them instead. Currently USS New Mexico (PCU 779).
                              1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Working...
                              X