Car Hacking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Hacking!

This article is printed in the current Westways magazine and I thought it was interesting and hope you do to, and it may save one of us from getting our new car stolen.

You pull into the grocery store parking lot to pick up some items for the weekend, and you park your car. As you head for the door, you point your arm toward the car and push a button on your keyless remote to lock it. You don't hear the usual faint chirp, but you're in a hurry and don't give it a second thought. When you return 15 minutes later, you discover that your car is gone. Welcome to the world of 21st century auto theft!

Nowadays, anyone can go to a home improvement store and buy a $20 device that jams the remote keyless entry transmitter on a vehicle. If a driver isn't paying attention, he walks away from his vehicle, presses the button on his remote and assumes that it locks.

But a thief may be sitting two or three cars over in the parking lot, punching a button to block the signal. The vehicle doesn't lock and the thief has access to your laptop, portable gps or whatever is inside. With enough time he can get away with the whole vehicle. Or the thief might find the valet key that the dealer had tucked inside the owner's kit in the glove box, many owners don't even know its there.

To guard against jammers, pay attention to your surroundings and make sure the doors do indeed lock when you press the button.

Auto theft is attracting a different class of criminal these days, smarter, technologically savvier, and a lot harder to deter and apprehend.

Sniffing keys: So-called smart keys or proximity keys are systems that use bladeless key fobs to automatically unlock the car and allow you to start your car with the push of a button. A receiver inside your car detects and reads digital pulses from the key fob transmitter. It takes a smart thief to crack a smart key, but the bad guys have risen to the challenge. One method involves a team of two people. The first thief stands within a few feet of the vehicle's owner in a restaurant or supermarket, his electronic equipment, which he carries in a bag or briefcase, "sniffs" the smart key fob and wirelessly relays an amplified signal to a second thief standing near the target car. The car unlocks, the second thief enters the car, pushes the ignition button and makes a getaway.

This technique is not wide spread yet and the only defense is to have your smart key basically in a metal box. Every system can be defeated and has been defeated. As todays vehicles age, the ways to defeat their sophisticated antitheft systems will probably become more commonplace. In other words, 10 or 15 years from now, cars with RFID reading immobilizers and smart keys might well top the list of most stolen vehicles and the war's frontier will have moved to other yet to be developed countermeasures.

The article was several pages long and have just abbreviated it. You can find the entire article in the current AAA Westways Magazine. Interesting stuff!
    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Interesting. I don't like wireless fobs for starting cars personally, though it was interesting when my Mom visited me in her Cadillac when we would go out I'd drive but she didn't hand me any keys, she just got in the passenger seat and I hit the start button while the fob was in her purse.

I always listen for the door click, particularly when traveling and I have more stuff in my truck than usual.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

uh oh.
      better put the house in the lockable garage...and the n put the garage in a garage.

this is ridiculous.

I have to hold up on the handle to lock my door..with my hand.

if someone interrupts that frequency they are gonna get my other hand.

anti theft, it can be natural.
      how about a warm up state of >15 seconds...or a louder engine noise at those 15 seconds.

my old carbed ricer has never been stolen. Vandalized for roof rails..but not stolen.
      by the time one figures out warm up, stage 1 clutch...they aren't getting far.

trickier than a car alarm.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 26, 2013, 10:43 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My truck does not have a remote, so I know the doors are locked because I have to manually do it.
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Oh geez. My 15 year old rusty hulks of shit are in danger, the horror... the horror....... The really old stuff is usually too complicated for a quick get away even if left unlocked.

Comment

I'm an old fart. I lock the doors with the button on the door when getting out of the car. I hope someone steals our Escalade just so I can see them on TV realize it is lowjacked.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Both Truck and HHR have fobs. We use them but from pretty close distances and we make sure the lock engaged. Still, anything can be stolen if the thief thinks it's worth the effort.

Dan

Comment

There also has been a rash of third row seats stolen out of locked SUV's, especially Tahoe, Suburbans, and Escalade's. They all have the same third row seat. Police have said the black market value is between $2000-3000 for them. Makes me wonder what the hell the dealers charge for a third row seat. Egads.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I don't know about your parts but around here they just break windows....... it's nothing a sparkplug can't do......and it's silent.......

Comment

Here is the article's top 10 stolen list:

1994 Honda Accord
                    1998 Honda Civic
                    1991 Toyota Camry
                    1994 Acura Integra
                    2004 Chevrolet full size pickup
                    2006 Ford full size pickup
                    1994 Nissan Sentra
                    2010 Toyota Corolla
                    1997 nissan Altima
                    1988 Toyota 4x2 pickup

There's a simple reason these geezers get stolen: Older cars are easier to steal. They don't have the sophisticated factory installed antitheft systems that cars have today. Yet parts for these former best sellers still command a high value, usually more than that for the car itself. (Source: NICB)
                    Last edited by bearphoto; February 26, 2013, 01:02 PM.
                    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Check out the top ten list of classic cars that are stolen.

I also heard that manual transmission cars are far less likely to be stolen. What kind of half assed car thief can't drive a stick?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My father-in-law had his '85 Toyota pickup stolen out of his driveway and then 4 months later had his '02 Chevy truck stolen from the same spot. The Toyota was found in Riverside stripped and the Chevy was joy rode and burned in Corona. I don't really worry about the Crown Vic, it's transportation and it's fully insured. If it gets wrecked or stolen I'll just take the insurance money and buy something else.
                        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Working...
                        X