• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the coolest mechanical piece of equipment ive ever seen

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Pretty darned (pardon the pun) cool!
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

That tow truck drive who just got fired immediately forwarded his resume to the D.O.T. after watching the video.
      Powertour off/on since 2002
      sigpic

Comment

I get wondering about maine stuff all the time seeing that rig.

same old plows here..no mention of rigs like that video.

this place is still good for making strong drivers I guess:

We take great pride in the fact that Ryan Campbell, MaineDOT snowplow operator took first place at the XIII International Snowplow Championship in Quebec City and another MaineDOT employee, Joe Osgood, finished in the top ten.
        one thing I have seen on my own travels local, is the trucks getting exceeded, flips them right around off the road. Too much weight for the plow.

I bet they'd v12 caterpillar something to make a rig like the one in vid.

65 tons of....plow truck.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 26, 2013, 07:08 PM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'm guessing there's some maximum amount of snow they'll handle (traction limited) but still a great idea.

Dan

Comment

Looks like Formula Drift.... Cheesehead style!!

Seriously it looks like those trailers are drifting.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

New York State DOT tryed them on a demo down the thurway, in the Syracuse area, and said they didn't have enough weight/downforce/scraping effect to use for their needs. Very costly too.

I've seen this set up at the Hard Hat Expo, and the trailer plows are kinda light. The cutting edges of our 12' one way plows on our 10 wheelers at work weigh 900lb. alone.

Still, a good idea to move ALOT of snow fast.
              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

They use a similar plow at some airports, but they plow nearly non-stop and don't have too much depth to work each time over.......I would think on the machine above, that trailer-load of liquid would provide plenty of weight to keep it from trying to pass the tow vehicle......
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                  They use a similar plow at some airports, but they plow nearly non-stop and don't have too much depth to work each time over.......I would think on the machine above, that trailer-load of liquid would provide plenty of weight to keep it from trying to pass the tow vehicle......
                  I was wondering about that tank... I know it gets pretty darn cold in the midwest and everywhere they have snow, water freezes.. Do they use some sort of anti-freeze? Store it or fill it and leave it? No scraping, have a truck come add more?

Comment

Those wouldn't work in California, and yes it does snow in parts of the State, because their are too few public sector unionized workers in that set up. Here each DOT truck is followed by another truck with a big rubber bumper on the back to keep Darwin Award candidates from running into the first truck. Each truck is fully staffed in every seat, you know pilot, co-pilot, navigator, purser and the workers cannot be fired for drinking on the job. They go to re-hab and then get disability pay.

Nice too see new technology that actually does the job being used effectively. Neat stuff.

Here in California we are getting a 180 MPH bullet train that will cover 130 miles on the first segment form the sprawling metropolis' of Madera to Bakersfield and will be shared with Amtrak and some frieght lines as well. Prepare to be amazed.

End rant.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Ok, GoPros ARE everywhere.
                      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

We don't care how y'all do it up North... here's how we roll down in Georgia!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

We got a real, honest-to-God snow two years ago... it actually stuck and stayed for over a week... there were real Yankee snowmen in every yard--4 or 5-footers, rather than the little 1-foot tall snowmen that are more leaves and grass clippings after one of our normal bi-annual snowfalls.

To prepare for the next 10 Year Snowfall, the city of Atlanta went out and spent $1 million on snow plows and equipment.

This transplanted Yankee just laughed...
                        -Brad

Comment

Working...
                        X