Game console question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game console question.

Okay, I admit, we are not into gaming at our house.

There is a Wii, and I have figured out how to browse the internet with it, but the darn thing is only designed to browse, not download at all.

But I hear a PS3 or Xbox with a broken disc drive can do downloading. I can probably find a broken machine somewhere cheap.

Thing is, there seem to be many "sub-models" of both.....and I have no idea if any or all of them are capable of doing downloads?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Got a Wii and a PS3 but don't have either of them hooked to the internet, sorry. If I'm remembering right the sub-models of the PS3 and 360 are simply how much storage space they have. Most of the guys at work have movies, music, and such on theirs, so I don't think there should be a problem. See my signature for the disclaimer though.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

sub models are either visually different or have a different storage capcity. As for jail breaking one to download data I have no clue.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

what do you want to do?

We have Zero game consoles, but we did pick up a little box from tiger direct for $100 - it works wirelessly with the router so we can watch netflix, hulu, you tube, facebook, etc on the TV - and hook a PC to the tv or plug in a usb memory stick with movies on it, etc.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

John, you just described about all we want to do with it. Christy would like to watch her weird vampire stories on the TV instead of the computer moniter in the upstairs hallway, I would like to be able to browse on occasion and maybe watch White Lightning on youtube, etc.

Netflix sounds interesting, but again, it seems you almost need the download thing for it to work.

Think if I google "little box from Tiger Direct for $100" I'll get the right thing? How easy is it to setup and get working?

Comment

I suspect that John is referring to the Roku settop box. It is a nice little gadget. However, you need to check on whether the shows you want to watch are available over settop boxes. The major network websites and Hulu are able to detect whether you are using a settop box or a computer and restrict most of their content to only being viewable over a computer. I was very annoyed to find that even after paying $8 a month for a subscription to Hulu Plus, something like 80% of their content (and all of their newest content) could not be viewed over my PS3 nor my Roku. The media companies don't want you watching their latest shows on your television screen from the comfort of your living room without paying for cable or satellite.

Comment

I have my old laptop hooked to my 65" TV with an HDMI cable. A wireless mouse and keyboard and I'm set. It's actually an HP Entertainment laptop and I have a remote control for it too that I use when watching DVD's or Bluerays. I watch YouTube videos (Roadkill) through it. Got my ex-girlfriend's TV and laptop hooked up the same way for watching NetFlix movies.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

So in essence Randall, your laptop is logistically one big remote control? (granted, the digital info is being processed through it)

Perhaps I should look into setting up a PC or laptop downstairs in the corner cupboard entertainment center, might be the smartest money?

I like the little ROKU box idea, but if it limits things we might want to go a different direction?

Comment

I just hit the "input" button on my TV, set it to DVD (the HDMI port my laptop is plugged into), then with my laptop remote I can turn the laptop on and off, so I hit the laptop remote power button, and grab the keyboard and mouse from the table next to my recliner. Then either browse the internet/watch online videos or start a DVD/BlueRay.

Now that I think about it, I set my Dad up this way a few years back so he does all his internet browsing, Hulu and Netflix watching on his 42" TV. Wireless keyboard and mouse as well. He has a desktop I installed a graphic's card with an HDMI out port. And he still has the browsers zoom set to 200%, lol.
                  Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 27, 2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Here ya go - this one's a little different and it's down to $69 now:

We have comcast (for now) and use this box to get netflix - I'm not to the Randal level yet.

We are probably changing to ATT at the new house (if they come to install it soon - if not I'm going to tell them to get bent - they cancelled the install once and have not rescheduled)
                    Last edited by milner351; February 27, 2013, 12:17 PM.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I got ride of cable a couple years ago and we Hulu / netflix. We were using a $300 desktop from walmart and a wireless key board. Either the desktop has a bug or its has gotten tired of streaming works ok as a computer, but craps out after about 10 mins of TV. Picked up a $60 box that make my 50" a smart TV it worked ok but has buffer to much. TV is now watched on the Wii, only time the Wii gets used.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Mine is just spare parts put back into service.

Comment

Interesting....and cheap. Cheap is good!

Do you or Ronda ever notice that something pretty current is unavailable to view?

This is my current entertainment data entrance portal. And that is not a dish, its a radio reciever, our internet access comes in through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            TV is now watched on the Wii, only time the Wii gets used.
                            How/what are you watching through the Wii? I can make mine browse, and play dvd's, but that is all.....

Comment

Xbox 360 and use it as a media center....... I can access all my music and videos that are stored on my computer using Windows Media Center, with the Xbox 360 is fully compatible with.....

Check out this video it explains how to set it up.....

Comment

Working...
                              X