Georgia Left Lane Law Under Consideration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Left Lane Law Under Consideration

Watching the nightly local news - they may outlaw camping in the fast lane on multiple-lane interstates.

Halllll-a-damn -lewya! The folks you have to pass on the right, holding up traffic and pissing people off by the dozens.

But to balance the story, Channel 9 interviewed two elderly ladies who said they drive in the far left lane because they're afraid of the big trucks that drive up on them and the trucks are prohibited from the far left lane. I'dda never thought of that, as to "why" folks go slow in the far left lane.

Bottom line, if you're too scared and can't keep up, take the two lane highways or stay home.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Oregon has a bill in consideration to do the same...
    About damn time too!...and I found out it is illegal to pass on the right! WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Oregon has a bill in consideration to do the same...
      About damn time too!...and I found out it is illegal to pass on the right! WTF?
      If that's true here, I'm an un-arrested felon. When you've got a bunch of dads in minivans having to change lanes and pass on the right, that's just unsafe, that condition by itself.

I think it (the left lane law) was first initiated in Illinois or Indiana, not sure which. See how lazy I am to not do a search? But it makes perfect sense. Enforcing it may be hard since cops don't seem to travel the lanes like they used to. They'd rather sit in spider holes beside the road and catch speeders with the SMILE camera. No work, not nearly as much gas required.
      Last edited by pdub; February 27, 2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Hell, in Atlanta you might get passed by someone in the emergency lane.
        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
          Hell, in Atlanta you might get passed by someone in the emergency lane.
          Yep, and that's on a CALM traffic day.

So many folks.....back up....

Well, I've decided to not even think about dong the road course event in Savannah, one of the many legitimate reasons being that I would have to drive through Atlanta twice, once going and once going home.

Sure SO MANY FOLKS in Atlanta do it every day and think nothing about it. You get used to what you do no matter what it is....

But out of that so many folks in Atlanta doing it every day, there's a certain number of folks that don't make it all the way through. Not many, just enough that you see them on the side of the road after the three-hour backup of traffic at the scene.
          Last edited by pdub; February 27, 2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Passed it last year here in Kansas.
            Guess we're trendsetters.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              Passed it last year here in Kansas.
              Guess we're trendsetters.
              Stude, is it actually enforced? How do they enforce it?

Comment

I've seen those "Keep Right Except to Pass" signs in lots of states.....I would guess they enforce that law the same way they enforce speed limits.......trooper/deputy/officer makes a judgement call........
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

That's been a law here in Pa for a few years. Not sure if it is ever enforced, but at least it cut down some on the left lane drivers. It doesn't completely eliminate them, but there are far less of them.
                  Still plays with trucks....

Comment

We've had it here in Texas for a few years,have yet to see it enforced. We have a stretch of IH35 that is No Trucks Left Lane from just south of San Antonio to Round Rock,about 90 miles. Just a start IMHO.

Comment

Been in effect in a few New England states for years. Only way they ever enforce it is like speeding. If they tail you for long enough and you never get right you get busted. It is largely ineffective. Classic example of a legislative body doing something so they can all high five and drink beer and feel like they accomplished something.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Just to play Devils Advocate.......

Suppose the limit is 70, and traffic is actually moving 70 in the RIGHT lane.

Now suppose you are doing a solid 85, and passing a mile long string of vehicles. You are in the left lane, of course.

Now also suppose there is a couple/few vehicles behind you, all pissed off cause you are making them slow down from 100+.

Are you in violation of the LeftLaneLaw?
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

almost never enforced here - although, a friend (of the badge-wearing, donut loving persuasion) says he will, on occasion let the speeder go and tag the left lane camper he says it's always a two-fer, lane obstruction, and non-use of hands free.

though it reminds me of the funniest I saw. LL camper had a cop behind him.... cop wanted to go around.... and the guy wasn't moving... cop flipped on his lights and the guy starts making his way across 4 lanes to the right lane. Cop follows him until he's fully in the right light, turns his lights off and goes on his merry way..... I really would like to buy that cop a donut
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs have been on the freeways for decades. Never enforced. CHP will follow you and count how many times you change lanes in a 2 mile stretch before they light up grandpa for doing 50 mph in the left lane.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              Just to play Devils Advocate.......

Suppose the limit is 70, and traffic is actually moving 70 in the RIGHT lane.

Now suppose you are doing a solid 85, and passing a mile long string of vehicles. You are in the left lane, of course.

Now also suppose there is a couple/few vehicles behind you, all pissed off cause you are making them slow down from 100+.

Are you in violation of the LeftLaneLaw?
                              Well,California had "Impeading the Flow of Traffic" but I was told by the CHP teaching traffic school they almost always write for speed in excess because NOBODY drives under the speed limit. I was told by a guy in the same class the "'Impeading" is very beatable in court but the speeding is almost always a slam dunk.

Here in TX we are "allowed" 10mph over to complete a safe pass,but I'm sure you cant do that driving on the sidewalk.
                              Last edited by Cyclone03; February 27, 2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X