Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you hear about the race car that went into the grandstand ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you hear about the race car that went into the grandstand ?

Daytona has nothing on this one ..

sigpic

there was a documentary on that last year on one of Discovery Networks channels, was a really great piece, very graphic with the footage and even broke down with computer graphics on how the crash occurred
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

That was the race that actually got sanctioning bodies thinking that maybe hay bails aren't enough to keep spectators safe.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

"Bale"

sigpic

Comment

The Healey that Lance Macklin was driving, you know the one that ol' Pierre made into a launch ramp, sold at auction a few years ago. The car was actually fixed up and sold be Healey as a road car!

This wreck came up in a conversation the other day with a couple of guys. I was talking about the off road event Nutting and I had gone to with the trars and all, these guys are pretty proper and were laughing at me. They brought this up and thought they were going to leave me in the dust because this affair involved road racing and was in 1955. Neither guy knew Macklin's of Levegh's name nor the fact that several countries banned racing for a while after this one. They stopped calling me tractor boy.
          Last edited by Brian Lohnes; February 27, 2013, 08:26 PM.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That was also the race that led Mercedes to quit racing for more than three decades . . . and the late John Fitch to develop several highway safety devices we now take for granted. http://www.racesafety.com/fitchbio.html

Comment

I heard some where , awhile ago .. like too long to remember the actual quote but ..

He was heard to say something to the effect of, "they wanted to see a crash, they did "

Not sure if thats real or just a story
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                That was also the race that led Mercedes to quit racing for more than three decades . . . and the late John Fitch to develop several highway safety devices we now take for granted. http://www.racesafety.com/fitchbio.html

at least sterling moss still got famous.

that realm had such gentle runtimes..the explosive chassis, no safety..the carbs kept it all cool.

it would be ashame to stab at every detail of the old tragedies.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 27, 2013, 08:35 PM.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                X