The dark side need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dark side need ideas

I need some ideas, for better fuel economy. I drive ALOT & contemplating getting a 4-banger. Write now the only decision that makes sense is a 05 Honda civic 5-speed that is for sale local. It's stock, clean, 50k mi, driven for 2 1/2 years by a middle age woman, low price, etc. Couldn't be any cleaner. Now one caveat, I don't like riceboy. IF I GOT IT I WOULD KEEP IT STOCK. I don't dig modified little Honda's. No class to me. I was thinking about buying a 91 5.0 mustang and modifying it for some cheap track fun ( it gets somewhat decent mileage ;D). Knowing myself I wouldn't keep my foot out of it, get tickets, go broke on gas, turn the thing into a money pit on parts, I don't even like 5.0's ( tacky cheap looking cars to me ) but they are cheap to go racing with. I have a 64 Malibu SS that has sat for years, that I need to get crankin on, so I think staying away from the ponycar would be the wise thing to do. SO.... before I venture of too the dark side and get the civic, you guys got any ideas on a domestic gas saver.. ala 84 mustang 4cyl two turbos 700hp ;D ( remember if I got the the civic it would be a BONE STOCK BEATER ).

Re: The dark side need ideas

Don't DO IT :o :D!! ~OO6.

Comment

Common, some ideas then.
      Originally posted by Agent-OO6.
      Don't DO IT :o :D!! ~OO6.
      why not?

Comment

BUY IT only(the Honda...)IF you're going to use it only as 'transportation' is what I meant. Same goes for the 4-cyl Mustang. Just carry out routine maintanince,no hacking/painting/re-doing the Interior,ect. Don't make it a $$$ pit. ~OO6.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent-OO6.
          BUY IT only(the Honda...)IF you're going to use it only as 'transportation' is what I meant. Same goes for the 4-cyl Mustang. Just carry out routine maintanince,no hacking/painting/re-doing the Interior,ect. Don't make it a $$$ pit. ~OO6.
          That's exactly my idea.

Comment

Would like some more idea's on the domestic gas saver though.

Comment

To make having two cars make economic sense it really needs to double your mileage. Like my T-A I drive that car every day .I average 17 (it's hard to keep your foot out of a 350 w/5spd ) I really NEED to find something that will pay for it's self in gas savings within 2months or as I said doubles my mileage (34-35) . I have a soft spot for s-10's (7or 8 ) so ...I'll find a better for 500 or less last one was 200 and drive . The second benifit is ,I really hate driving it everyday . Its a 21 yr old surviver that I want to save . It's not going thru an other winter .

Comment

Never thought I'd see the day when our third-gen F-bodies would be considered classics or "survivors"(don't let Bloomington Gold catch ya using that phrase, they might sue...LOL)

Ryan, naysayers be damned, buy the rice-burner. Saves gas, which means more $$$ for the fun stuff.

Comment

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. I just like to hear myself talk . Oh well ,at least I find myself interesting! LOL

Comment

Domestic gas-savers...here goes my list:

GM: MAYBE a V-6 G-body, otherwise I'd say a straight-six powered early A or X body.

Ford: 4-cyl anything...Mustang, Mustang II, Fairmont...later model EXP, ZX2 have good handling

Mopar: Omni/Turismo/Charger 2.2/GLHS, Daytona, I'd also suggest slant-six powered anything and possibly the '79-'82 Challenger and the Conquest.
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I drive an 05 Accord with a 5 speed and the VTEC 4 banger every day. It is a great car with a great engine. With the 5 speed and the lighter Civic, you will enjoy it. Plus I drive aggressively and can't get any less than 30 mpg. All highway cruising and I can get 34 easy.

Get it and save your gas money for the other projects.
                      1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanWalker
                        I need some ideas, for better fuel economy. I drive ALOT & contemplating getting a 4-banger. Write now the only decision that makes sense is a 05 Honda civic 5-speed that is for sale local. It's stock, clean, 50k mi, driven for 2 1/2 years by a middle age woman, low price, etc. Couldn't be any cleaner. Now one caveat, I don't like riceboy. IF I GOT IT I WOULD KEEP IT STOCK. I don't dig modified little Honda's. No class to me. I was thinking about buying a 91 5.0 mustang and modifying it for some cheap track fun ( it gets somewhat decent mileage ;D). Knowing myself I wouldn't keep my foot out of it, get tickets, go broke on gas, turn the thing into a money pit on parts, I don't even like 5.0's ( tacky cheap looking cars to me ) but they are cheap to go racing with. I have a 64 Malibu SS that has sat for years, that I need to get crankin on, so I think staying away from the ponycar would be the wise thing to do. SO.... before I venture of too the dark side and get the civic, you guys got any ideas on a domestic gas saver.. ala 84 mustang 4cyl two turbos 700hp ;D ( remember if I got the the civic it would be a BONE STOCK BEATER ).
                        What's your daily driver now? What gas mileage does it get? How many miles do you drive a month, besides "a lot"?

Armed with this knowlege, some of us may be able to help you figure out a way to improve gas mileage on your existing ride, or to help determine if the savings in gas will be worth the purchase of the Honda.

Example:You drive 2000 miles a month. If you drive a pick-up that gets 15mpg, you're burning 133.33 gallons. At $4.00/gallon, that's $533.33 a month in gas.
                        A 95 Civic 1.5L five speed gets ~35mpg. It burns 57.14 gallons of fuel in 2000 miles; at $4.00/gallon, that's $228.57 a month in gas. That's a savings of almost $305/month.
                        If you are making payments on your DD now, you'll have to compare the difference in monthly payments to figure out how much better/worse the Civic will be. If your DD is paid off, what can you sell it for to increase your down payment/lower your monthly payment on the "new" car ... well, you get the idea.

Comment

yup, whether or not it's worthwhile to get a different car depends on how much you spend on gas now. Also there's the diminishing returns thing...going from a 12 mpg ride to a 20 mpg one will really save money, but going from a 22 to a 30 mpg car won't save nearly as much even though in both cases you get 8 mpg more. (do the math described above and you'll see how it works)
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I drive a 1990 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme. 3.1 inline 6. 20-21 mpg avg maybe? Drive about 45mi a day give or take.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X