Rats!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rats!!!!

I swore when I saw my golf bag on a top shelf in the garage move a year ago I thought it was squirrels, but I saw the bugger coming out the bag today! Anyone have any magic tips to getting them out of the garage? I think I have all the upper and lower openings sealed off but the door is often open during the day/evening.
    Last edited by MadmanMark; March 2, 2013, 03:36 PM.
    Tampa, FL

Uh .... keep the door closed?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Cats. Beyond that, if they've been there a year they've gotten a pretty good footing. Remove all food sources, lay a bunch of traps, keep the door closed, etc... Maybe think about calling an exterminator.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by MadmanMark View Post
        ... when I saw my golf bag move ...
        Based on this part of your statement - I would say get/buy a gun!

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
          Cats. Beyond that, if they've been there a year they've gotten a pretty good footing. Remove all food sources, lay a bunch of traps, keep the door closed, etc... Maybe think about calling an exterminator.
          Yeah... that's about the just of it... other than that, they won't leave until they find a better spot...
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Rats in battalions
            Are ruining the street scene....

A. Cooper

They must have found something to eat or maybe water. The little buggers are tenacious, for sure. We had mice from time to time in Ann Arbor and we'd feed them "special mousey food". In a week or so they'd be history although sometimes it would take another week for the carcasses to stop smelling.

If you can borrow one, my uncle had a Manchester terrier - looks sort of like a minpin. NASTY little dog but Hell on wheels with rats. I say borrow one because you really don't want one in your life.

Or maybe give up golf?

Dan

Comment

Rat poison. Some stuff works, some stuff doesn't. I don't remember what we used on the farm (other than boots and shovels), but we got it from the local agway. They were bigger pellets, don't know why they worked better than other brands, but they worked better than cats. The cats are usually worthless, except for rare occasions, the cats we've had were lazy and wouldn't hunt. The brand was something with an R, came in a bucket. They'll squeeze through a hole the size of a dime, so you may think it's sealed up, but you'd be surprised what they can get through.

Comment

RAMIK bars..i bought them at the hardware store..they eat them then die...the downside is the might not die where you can remove them,,,,,

Comment

I like the good old glue traps with peanut butter in the middle, it worked well when a little bugger decided to make a new home in my brand new snap-on tool box. caught and have never seen one since,
                  give me a car and i will fix it!!!

Comment

Had one in my house!.. Used D-con.. 2 days straight they ate ALL the pellets! Man! Then I had overnight guests.. Pulled out the hide a bed... Full of food and D-con! Started smelling dead bodies... Found i after removinf half the ceiling in the house, walls in the bathroom.. Finially found it in a 1 inch by 2 inch gap between the chimney and wall....
                    This was a 3 week battle!

Comment

Take up tennis
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Buy a Hemi. Rats are scared to death of Hemis.
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Also, if you do go the poison route (I'm pretty sure Ramik was what we used too), make water accessible for a while before you put the poison out. Long enough for them to know where they can get it, because after they eat the poison they'll go straight to water, and they may be easier cleaning up if you can find them.

Also, the water reminds me of another trick. Fill a 5-gal bucket with water 1/2 to 3/4 with water with some way for the rats to access the water. They'll fall in trying to reach the water and won't be able to get out. You may not get them all like that, but you'll get a few like that.

Comment

peanut butter or other food source in the 5 gallon bucket... I have a long nasty story about it I've told before, one of the mechanics at work had a real hatred of rats. He'd put a bite of peanut butter sammich in the trash can and leave it beside the bench. Rat gets in, rat doesn't get out.

I think they'd drown in the water - which would be a peaceful death compared to the way Chuck dispatched them. As bad as I hate them, chem dip and flaming banzai rat race ending with a fork lift is no way for an animal to go out.
                            Last edited by Beagle; March 3, 2013, 10:53 AM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've heard real good things about RAMIK but DCon has not impressed me. You get a week or so of green rat poops before it gets to them.

Three rats are at a bar drinking beers
                              First rat says "I use their rat trap to do bench presses after I eat their cheese. I'm a badass rat." drinks a big swig of beer and slams it on the counter .
                              Second rat says "Oh yeah? I use that DCon stuff for bubble bath in the sauna, I'm a badass rat!" drinks half his beer and slams it on the counter.
                              The third rat looks at the other two with disinterest, chugs down his whole beer, puts the empty mug on the bar and says "I'm gonna go home and rape the cat."
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X