Experience with differentials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with differentials?

I have to put together a rear end for my Road Runner. Unfortunately, every cone-type Sure-Grip unit I have is shot. Simply worn out from years of abuse.

I know the OEM clutch type units are rebuildable, but they are tough to find these days for a decent price. So, I have been considering using an aftermarket differential. I have been looking at a Detroit Locker and I am wondering if any of you have had experiences with these (and other units) in you own vehicles?

Also, another item I am having a helluva time finding is a 10-spline, spicer 1350 style u-joint yoke. I have found several places that list a part number for it, but they don't stock them. Thoughts? I do NOT want to run a conversion joint.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

edit: This is for a 489 housing in an 8-3/4" rear end.
    Last edited by Ron Ward; March 3, 2013, 06:55 AM.
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

I have heard that Detroit's are the shizzle in a straight line, but can have squirrelly effects in on/off throttle situations while turning or in a curve.

And I do know that I abused the snot out of conversion joint on a Ford 9" with 4.10s and a small block in a jeep while rock crawling, mudding, and general off-roading. Just make sure you install it so that the grease fitting is under compression during acceleration.
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Old Detroit lockers can be quite entertaining (in the drop-a-load-in-your-pants manner) if you're blowing along, then let off the throttle while going downhill on a slick surface.... but that really depends more on wheelbase. The all-gear Tru Trac is really neat. I had one in the GTO, it worked great (the gear setup by 1320gforce not so much). They don't use the same system as limited slips and the old detroit lockers use to keep the tires turning.

I don't know if they have them for your car, but I'd suspect so given they have them for the 04-06 GTO
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Borg Warner 9 bolts use a cone clutches and they can be revived if the housings aren't too scored up. The problem with them is that as they wear the cones bottom out in the end of the housing before they get tight on the sides. The trick on them is to machine some off the small end of the cones and shim the big end behind the side gears. No idea if this would work for you-I don't think I've ever seen a Sure Grip unit apart. Worth a look though-I know you appreciate a value priced solution!

Comment

if you are doing resore period correct stuff..
          detroit locker is great.

I hate them.

there is smooth clutch disc einstein stuff out there today.

I have had an 80s subaru car with an einstein proprietary rear end for 16 years.

knowing the genius diff exists for decades even from a stereotyped place is embarrasing today...
          unless exactly restoring, I would not even bother with the crazy gears.

(I have broken everything)
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You can get some extra life out of a cone-suregrip with some machining and washers under the springs.
            I'm sure there are a few how-to's floating around on the net.
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
            X