It Goes On and On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
    Blow-er! I think we got Unit warming up to the idea last night.

Yeah, nuthin' says "I Love You" more than a 6-71 and a bug-catcher sticking through an open engine bay...
    remember...no cutting...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Wish I knew how to find a pic on-line and post it here. I can do the finding, it's the posting that mystifies me. Anyhow, your stands should be fine. The split tube ones are made out of what looks like more or less exhaust tubing that's been split into 3 arms that are bent outward then a rail welded around the base in an attempt to keep the legs from spreading out. Tres cheap - and worth it. Like a cheap helmet - well, I guess that guy knows what his head is worth.

Curious - what's Unit's objection to a cage? I think it should be a bolt-out but they can be made safe AND convenient. Not trying to talk her out of it, just curious.

Dan

Dan

Comment

The roll cage is non-negotiable and I don't want one either. Red's too nice of a car to hose him up that way.

The tube-type jack stands, I'm sitting here thinking after your description...I think I've seen those. Do they use a big pin through holes to hold them at height?
        Last edited by pdub; March 3, 2013, 03:12 PM.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          The roll cage is non-negotiable and I don't want one either. Red's too nice of a car to hose him up that way.

The tube-type jack stands, I'm sitting here thinking after your description...I think I've seen those. Do they use a big pin through holes to hold them at height?
          yep, those are it...
          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

My dad had a set of those. It's really amazing that the car didn't fall on him earlier than it did.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

scary part is...i remember times when i had put the pin in the last hole and on top of the stand, to gain that extra inch of clearance... glad i wised up before we had sean...
              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Let's just don't use those, any of us.

Comment

Wanna horror story? It's TRUE! That is what makes it a horror story!
                  Was building with a friend at my place for him and I.. He had the press fit drive up ramps, and the 3 legged stands with the saddles flat.. His son was under his car.. I felt it start to collapse.. Sloooowly at first.. Bent down, grabbed the 30 year old kid by the foot and yanked him out, falling on my ass with his at my knees.. THEN, only then he looked up and say the car where he was!

Best blocks/stands with wheels on? Stacked rims tacked together (we remove the centers for less weight) tire fits right in the center.. Rock it hard to settle it into the gravel... Will not fall...

Comment

heard of those horrors before... that's why we use the 6 ton stands on trucks that don't weigh 6 tons complete... not even 6000 pounds or three tons... this is why i figure go overkill for safety...you might pay now... but at least you probably won't be paying later...
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I'm always one to cause some matter of disarray here because I'm learning, or trying to.

And when Dan said ramps are not good, I have to pay attention. But I have two of them coming.

Against the grain, I think good ramps and a snugged floor jack will do it if you don't shake the piss out of the car. I don't want to die having fun. Well, not in the garage anyhow. That would suck. On the track, you have more forces into play. The garage would suck.

Comment

buying parts is fun, huh??

buy a track day next... use your upgrades dude!!
                        Charles

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                          buying parts is fun, huh??

buy a track day next... use your upgrades dude!!
                          Yeah yeah yeah I'm going. Of course I am.

That's what it's all about. Film at eleven. Which month is not guaranteed.

Comment

just encouraging my friend, not nagging
                            Charles

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                              just encouraging my friend, not nagging
                              Thanks for the support Monkey. Nagging is not the right word at all. I appreciate all of it, the input from all of you guys here on BS, I can't name you all, Matt first.

Does that sound like an award speech from something on TV? I haven't done a danged thing. I just want to drive Red around a track as fast as my abilities will make him go, which is surely not as fast as he WOULD go in more capable hands. Jimminy Crickets that's fun.

Fun sure is expensive, even when you're not really trying to prove anything to anybody. Dang fun costs a lot.
                              Last edited by pdub; March 3, 2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

Fun sure is expensive, even when you're not really trying to prove anything to anybody. Dang fun costs a lot.

If it wasn't expensive, would it be any less fun?

I like taking unbuilt derby cars that we aquire running/driving.. And driving them on the track at the farm.. We got a small dirt track around the bike jump track, a loop for the 4x4's thru the trees.. We drive the cars thru briars to mash em down. Fun as all get out.. Cat and chevy pickup to pull em out if stuck.. Granddaughter tried to go over a jump with the 76 Electra.. High centered it!
                                Would like a few Sammys to use there.. Not on the track tho..

Comment

Working...
                                X