Question for a trucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for a trucker

So since August I've been carpooling to work, which every other day let's me look around more than I normally do. So I saw this, a tractor & trailer with a single wide tire in place of the normal tandem wheels on both the tractor and trailer.

So when did this happen? I've seen them on the fronts, but the first time I actually noticed them on the rear. Are they radials that can hold the load?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0298_zps1f574fc8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	879734
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0297_zpsa891560c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	879735
    sigpic

pretty much within the last 7 years...all about the fuel savings... yes they are radials that will support the loading issues and TPMS also made it viable to monitor pressures...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Great, so I've been clueless for 7 years lol thanks for the answer.

Joe
      Last edited by joebogey; March 4, 2013, 07:57 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Let me add to this question:

Are the side spats that you see on the trailers effective?

Sorry I don't have pics but I'm hoping you know what I mean. Seems like we're seeing more and more of them. Even some stuff at the rear of the trailer that I guess would be for air management.

Dan

Comment

The aerodynamic benefits of the trailer under body side shields are worth it to several trucking companies I see on I94 regularly
          - those fleet managers are sharp
          - if any modification has a reasonable ROI - they'll put them on - diesel isn't getting any cheaper!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I was thinking that they must help or they wouldn't be using them. I just wondered how much they help. - like 1 MPG, or 2 gallons per fill-up, or??

The rear mounted stuff seems less common. I'm guessing that is in the experimental stage right now.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              I was thinking that they must help or they wouldn't be using them. I just wondered how much they help. - like 1 MPG, or 2 gallons per fill-up, or??

The rear mounted stuff seems less common. I'm guessing that is in the experimental stage right now.

Dan
              According to this >http://www.freightwing.com/ 7.45% to 8.4% fuel savings for the under trailer skirts.
              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Dan, I would say that I saw the trailer skirts start showing up around here in the last 12 months or so. I would think that it would more worth it since the common construction seems to be what Matt posted, ABS on metal struts. They've been around for some time, but I remember them to be of a more involved (dollars) construction. Plus these look like they could be cheaply replaced if they got damaged.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X