New DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DD

We were 40 miles into the trip we just finished tonight (3 weeks on the road) when the '98 Park Avenue ate another intake manifold (N/A 3.8l). This makes 3 intakes, and FIVE count 'em 5 A/C compressors. We'd HAD IT!!! That sucker has been a hassle from day one - we got it about 3 years ago from her Dad with just over 6K miles (not a typo). Anyhow, we walked up to the showroom and walked out with a new HHR. This is really weird for us. We NEVER buy a new car, and we never buy anything over $100 without sleeping on it. But the time had come. Anyhow, we set off on the trip and she (it's definitely a female car) now has nearly 4,000 trouble-free miles. Hey, it's a start. Averaging 28.5 MPG. Wish it was an SS, but they seem to be pretty scarce and this was cheaper. I'd like to add a turbo - she has to downshift to make it over the WV mountains. A basic turbo would be enough to get 'er done. This is ME's car, and I still have the race car and the 'Stang if I want to waste tires.

Anyone know of any specifics on these little devils? I heard that the chassis is unique, so I guess I'll have to wait for good shocks, etc. Any common problems? The EcoTech seems pretty strong for what it is.

Later
    Dan

Re: New DD

Shocks/springs are the same as the Cobalt, if I remember correctly. My wife has one, it's a nice appliance car. Gets great mileage, and is surprisingly large inside for the size of the vehicle.

Comment

That's exactly how she got a new home with us.

Dan

Comment

So is it an auto or manual? I kinda dig the panel versions of the HHR. The Panel SS is the best.

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Auto. ME can't drive a manual anymore- used to all the time. Damn aging. I'd have liked an SS, but they seem to be scarce as hen's teeth (How ya like that, farmer boy?). Not sure I understand how you get a panel. I've seen several, but none on dealer lots. Maybe they're special order? And this was sort of a "OMG - gotta have a car NOW" purchase. The important thing is - she likes it, and that's what counts. It's kind of a cool little car, and MUCH more interesting than anything she's had before.

Later
          Dan

Comment

that is odd , usually 3800s stay together pretty good
            you should have gone to the dealer to get the intake done

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              Auto. ME can't drive a manual anymore- used to all the time. Damn aging. I'd have liked an SS, but they seem to be scarce as hen's teeth (How ya like that, farmer boy?). Not sure I understand how you get a panel. I've seen several, but none on dealer lots. Maybe they're special order? And this was sort of a "OMG - gotta have a car NOW" purchase. The important thing is - she likes it, and that's what counts. It's kind of a cool little car, and MUCH more interesting than anything she's had before.

Later
              Dan
              Dan......

If you know of anyone looking for aN HHR "panel", they have them in multitudes here in Indianapolis.

They also have them in stock at the chevrolet dealership down in Henderson, Kentucky(see'em every time I go down to the Fort with a load).......

My missus wanted one initially, but couldn't find one with the options she wanted.....changed her mind anyways, got the '02 TrailBlazer LTZ 4x4 she really wanted to begin with.

Comment

We DID go to the dealer. The intake that was installed 3 years ago was supposed to have a SS insert that would prevent any further problems, but that clearly didn't work. The repair was too old to be covered under the repair warranty, but I understand that now GM will stand behind any repair for life. We kind of fell between the cracks here. And we still don't know what's up with the 5 A/C compressors, even though most of 'em were warranty. I did a thread on this a while back. Anyhow, the HHR is now in the family and seems to be OK so far (says Dan, knocking on wood).

As far as the panels - they're cool for sure, but not what ME wanted. She has trouble seeing out of a car anyway, so fewer windows would not be a plus for her. I'm guessing the local dealers aren't ordering panels unless someone wants one, but no doubt they could.

Thanks for the input
                Dan

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan

Comment

there are panels here in northern va dont remember the #s but they cost more than a regular one? weird

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                    We DID go to the dealer. The intake that was installed 3 years ago was supposed to have a SS insert that would prevent any further problems, but that clearly didn't work. The repair was too old to be covered under the repair warranty, but I understand that now GM will stand behind any repair for life. We kind of fell between the cracks here. And we still don't know what's up with the 5 A/C compressors, even though most of 'em were warranty. I did a thread on this a while back. Anyhow, the HHR is now in the family and seems to be OK so far (says Dan, knocking on wood).

As far as the panels - they're cool for sure, but not what ME wanted. She has trouble seeing out of a car anyway, so fewer windows would not be a plus for her. I'm guessing the local dealers aren't ordering panels unless someone wants one, but no doubt they could.

Thanks for the input
                    Dan

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                    if that was a goodwrench plus dealership , it would have been warranteed for life , amigo

Comment

When it failed the first time, we were on the road in rural nowhere - I can't even remember the state, but might have been Louisiana. We were able to nurse the car in to the local dealer, but I have no idea of his "Goodwrench" status. In any case, the dealer we limped into in NC pulled the car up on the computer and found the repair, but was unable to cover the repair of the repair. In any case, that's all behind me now.... And good riddance. We just hope the HHR is OK - seems to be so far.

BTW - any opinions on getting the super-duper extended bumper to bumper warranty? The drivetrain is already warranted for 100K, but it's often the little niggly things that drive me nuts. Like A/C compressors....

Later
                      Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X