Brakes Really Are Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes Really Are Good

I know most folks here are straight line advocates and that's awesome by itself. But I'll bet brakes aren't a major consideration overall. From what little I was able to learn for a single stint on a road course, not even racing, I gathered that you'd trade brakes for horsepower in a skinny minute to get around the road course.

So I got 'em for next time. I'm finding there are ways to enjoy ballsy brakes without driving on a road course, just using road course techniques.

Driving to work this morning, dark as the inside of a cow (that's a Gomer Pyle quote).

Mouse Creek Road is hilly and curvy on the north end, VERY. The "Hill/Curve Restricts View" signs are only for strangers who are lost on that road, because all the locals already know it.

Signs say 35 mph. This morning I'm going a little over 40-something-ish in the dark on the "straighter" half of that road. I can see in the mirror that a car is approaching from the rear. Pretty quick, going somewhat faster than Red and me.

It drove up to my bumper. That's alright, I put the rear view on nightime and held my speed. I'm not driving any faster than I can see. That's it, I don't care who you are behind me.

So Driver and I finished the "straighter" part of the road with Driver tailgating me. The we got to the curves, the 12 WHOA curves on that road.

The term "outbraking" another car is easily misunderstood. Like, since my brakes are better, I stopped before I hit something but you went past me and hit it.

But the superior brakes let me drive farther before I even apply them. That's huge.

An interesting study this morning at about 45 mph. First sharp curve. Drove Red all the way up to it and before I had to turn the wheel, HARD on the brakes for about a second, off the brakes, now turn. Throttle back to 45 mph and I waited for Driver in the mirror. Ahhh, that was good for about 30 yards, he's not tailgating now.

Because if Driver was driving like most folks do on the street Driver probably rode the brakes 100 yards into that turn. Wearing the pads the whole time.

Over and over, I dropped that tailgater in those curves and didn't even hardly drive reckless in any way. I mean I dropped Driver to the point that I was gone. Not ever going faster, just not slowing down as long for each turn.

Brakes. Great brakes are fun.
    Last edited by pdub; March 7, 2013, 12:38 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

its fun to outdrive someone and not do anything illegal....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

brakes are great for the autocross; but honestly, being able to drive into a corner "hot" and watch them slide off into the weeds is well-worth the price of admission.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        brakes are great for the autocross; but honestly, being able to drive into a corner "hot" and watch them slide off into the weeds is well-worth the price of admission.
        Haven't been able to laugh at that before in real life, that's gotta be a hoot! But I'll bet Driver this morning was needing another tailgating fix as soon as possible after that. And I'll bet Driver thought Red turned on the afterburners to get away.

Not so. Not often I get to have fun going TO work. That was fun, let's do it again!

I hate tailgaters anyhow. A fantastic way to demoralize one.

Comment

OH OH OH....I meant to put up this pic. This is next, the Steeda brake cooling kit. This one piece of fabricated metal is (to me at least) just about hide-the-kids-sexy. This thing (below) bolts on where the stock dust cover used to be. And then the hose to the front and it blows air directly on the rotor no matter which way you turn the wheel.

This is .... this is neat stuff, the next project. Matt's gonna fabricate the intake for the front because we're not going to cut Red anywhere. We're not going to make a hole, we'll use a hole that's already there for the intake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	867918

Comment

Cool!
            Always love to throttle round corners with the flatbed... When empty, that is.
            At night, tailgaters bother me because of lights.. But for the most part, they are gonna hit a big hunk of channel

Comment

P-dub, that's a great addition, but you need to make the hose removal. I don't think you want to have brake cooling on the street.
              I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                P-dub, that's a great addition, but you need to make the hose removal. I don't think you want to have brake cooling on the street.
                True that Bob. Getting the intake hardware installed will be the hardest part.

I completely agree, after some afterthought, I don't need to be driving around with that hose on there all the time. It should be easy enough to put it back on for a track day, as rare as that will be.

Did I say I love brakes?

I love brakes. Yes, I do.

And thank you Sir for all of your input and help with the road course thing. Quite a few folks here have helped so much in so many different ways just so I can go out and have fun for a while. Tremendous help.

Did I say I love BangShift?

I love BangShift. Yes, I do.

Comment

fun (and braking power) is a gooooood thing!!!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

blower.
                    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                      blower.
                      Mike, I can't help but notice that was lowercase - "blower"

Not like some others: BLOW-er!!!!!!

Y'all keep trying. This'll go on for ten years or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                        They are fine to leave on for the street, my buddy does it on his 07 GT with no issues (not winter driven though). Just make sure that the hoses are strapped tightly so that they don't get pinched at full steering lock.

Glad to hear that the new binders are being enjoyed already!!

cheers
                        Ed
                        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          Mike, I can't help but notice that was lowercase - "blower"

Not like some others: BLOW-er!!!!!!

Y'all keep trying. This'll go on for ten years or more.

We all know its comin'... just a matter of time. So.... there's no need to shout when its obvious.
                          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                            We all know its comin'... just a matter of time. So.... there's no need to shout when its obvious.
                            HHHAhAHahahhHHA!!!!!

No really, you guys take up a collection, three collections actually. One for a blower, another for a divorce, and the third to support me for the rest of my life afterward. I'll get one. Only then.

Who's in?
                            Last edited by pdub; March 7, 2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Oldsman is right. Hook that blower up to those brake cooling hoses and supercool the brakes! THAT will make you King of the Track!

Neat that you and Red are having fun. A little knowledge and some better equipment sure is fun. It reminded me of leaving Trans Ams in in the dust in my 215 V-8 Vega. I made it pretty sleeperish and no one saw it coming. To be fair, this was in the era of doggie TAs - like early 80s.

But the same idea - leave 'em in the dust without really trying.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X