Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving a Triumph TR7 from Arizona to Ohio - any ideas, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a Triumph TR7 from Arizona to Ohio - any ideas, suggestions?

Car should roll, lacks drivetrain.

Its physically small (13.75'L x 5.5'W x 4.17' H), its also relatively light, (right at about #1500)

Ideas gents?
    Last edited by STINEY; March 8, 2013, 11:06 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Drive and go get it
    Hire a geezer coming back from their snowbird existence
    Have Randal pull it to you during drag week

don't use AIA

The guy who bought my Buick used AIA, they really put the hurt on the Buick getting it to him - they used a forklift to move it, they used a hook to pull on the core support to move the car... and bent it....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 8, 2013, 08:14 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Redball!!!!
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Check Hemming's classifieds.........they've got individuals who specialize in these
        types of vehicle.
        Just a thought.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          Drive and go get it
          Hire a geezer coming back from their snowbird existence
          Have Randal pull it to you during drag week
          Any interested geezers, feel free to contact me. I've already talked to the snowbird geezers I know personally, seems they went and got jobs? Weird...

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
          Redball!!!!
          I'm listening. And willing to reimburse for fuel, I know times are rough.

Comment

Dad weighed it with no engine, trans, rear end or battery, with 2 wheels. 1320 pounds. (for some reason, he finds that number easy to remember) Now it has a rear end and 4 wheels, should be right around 1450.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
              Dad weighed it with no engine, trans, rear end or battery, with 2 wheels. 1320 pounds. (for some reason, he finds that number easy to remember) Now it has a rear end and 4 wheels, should be right around 1450.
              Package it up and
              Ship it via Greyhound
              Last edited by Monk; March 8, 2013, 08:40 AM.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

If I could manage to put it on a skid/crate I'd be all set. Easy truck freight then.

Comment

The last time I had a car shipped, the truck driver told me that he would have done the job for half the price if I had contacted him directly. Apparently a lot of the car "shipping companies" are little more than brokers who subcontract the actual move to independent truckers and keep half the fee for themselves.

Don't ask me how you find these independent car haulers...
                  Also, you might get a nice discount for have the car delivered to Chicago instead of Bucyrus.

Comment

Found this company on the net.....might get a quote from them.

Choose Acertus for trustworthy Non-Running Car Shipping. Our brand ensures secure and efficient transportation. Request a quote now!
                    Thom

Comment

USPS if it fits it ships!

Comment

If it could be towed to a facility with a loading dock, I believe I can get it flatbed-hauled as a partial load fairly reasonable.

Still shaking the tree today, some unusual fruits are coming loose.

Comment

I was going to suggest the loading dock/long-haul trucker route... alternatively, Fed Ex delivers cars - if you get a discount with Fed Ex, it can be REALLY reasonable to move a car through them....
                          strange people... I'll email a classmate I had in high school - he's a long-haul trucker, I know he goes across the US with his loads; so maybe he can do it.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Fedex....interesting. Both they and UPS have a freight division, wonder if UPS does such movements as well?

Calling our Fedex rep.

Also have a guy who goes to Phoenix with some regularity, who stated he would be happy to have an excuse to drive back. If the owner can have the car towed to a facility with a loading dock, then it can be loaded into a Uhaul truck or loaded onto a flatbed.

Most of the least expensive methods seem to hinge on having a loading dock in the mix.

Another friend has in-laws who visit our area regularly from Arizona (where I don't know yet), they drive and used to have a Suburban. Perhaps they would appreciate having their fuel paid one way in exchange for pulling a trailer?

Comment

You could try www.uship.com/ Maybe get on Shipping Wars on TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X