Tach Resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach Resto

As some of you know I've got hundreds of old tachs and gages (Dan ) around here.
    I send many of 'em out to have new internals installed to work with today's electronics.
    Most are in pretty good shape.....vendors charge an arm and a leg to re do the chrome parts.

Well I thought I'd take a run at it and pull one apart.
    Real time consuming but I got it done.

Tach chrome will be sent out to be done and tach will have new internals installed.
    I wanted one of these as it has the adjustable shift points.

It all goes will I have the 'football' tach done shown.
    It's pretty rare and this one is in good shape.

Here's one that shows adjustable shift points

Everything apart

Backside of chrome piece

Polishing glass face

Using Simple Green to clean up pointer

Nice cinch cup that came with tach

Football tach

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

I don't remember ever seeing one with the "football". We thought the adjustable pointers were High Tech and out of our league. We were right!

Dan

Comment

great work Thom, very nice
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Wow - that turned out nice! good work!
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Nicely done!
          Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Was surfing the net last night and happened upon a vendor that sells
            a replacement board for the Sun sending units.

And.......it's only $75!

I've been paying $250 for new internals........now it looks like I can purchase
            the new insides and do the deal myself.
            Also I won't have to be taking the tachs apart.
            I'll call them tomorrow to get more details and order up a couple to try. Also will have to brush up on my soldering skills (any tips?).

I've got many tachs & sending units laying around I can do. I've got two I'll give out to a couple of buddies...they'll be perfect for their rides. Won't be one of those off shore pieces.

Here's one of my Sun sending units

Insides

Replacement board

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Good find! My only tip is to use the copper braid for desoldering but I bet you already know that one. Even better is to take it to the Electronics Shop at EPA ........ But that no longer exists and I'm outta there. Used to be great to take little projects like that in and have the repair done by a real pro instead of me stumbling around with it.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X