Enclosing a trailer ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosing a trailer ....

So I have an idea to make a couple enclosed DW type trailers. I found a smokin' deal on some jet-ski trailers. The guy bought several skis for his family and then one trailer to haul all of them on .... he was going to scrap them so I gave him scrap value ....

I've read a gajillion threads on building "teardrop" trailers and understand how to construct one of those ... BUT ... is there a better way to do it? Not gonna sleep in it, not gonna cook out of it, just a way to carry slicks, tools, and race stuff so its secure and fairly easy to access.

So how would you guys go about framing and enclosing a small tag trailer? Metal framing? Wood framing? Fiberglass siding? or what ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

i'd go with the teardrop...efficient shape, and easily adaptable for a variety of uses... even have seen oversized versions for hauling motorcycles...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Screw building a trailer! Buy a NEW truck and hire me to follow you around!LOL

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        i'd go with the teardrop...efficient shape, and easily adaptable for a variety of uses... even have seen oversized versions for hauling motorcycles...
        The design of these trailers lends more to a V nose style trailer. I don't know who's thread it was hon here, but they had picked up a small trailer that the lid opened too .... That may be an option too. And don't get me wrong, I will build me a tear drop one of these days ...

Comment

Just my two cents I would build it square for easy construction . Probably use stamped steel angle with the holes punched in it for the framing, so you can bolt it together. Put doors in it so I could get stuff out of the sides and the back.I'll let someone else tell you how to skin it . Well on second thought .....no. I'm going to stick with that.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

FRP is your friend.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

unless you are gonna pull the trailer with the car and not trailer the car, either the car trailer or the pull-behind trailer size is a consideration.

I've got a 4x8 that I'm thinking about turning into... THIS! Every trailer should have a KEG or it's not a Street Car!!!

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Exactly Beag's .... it for pulling behind the Chevelle. I'm over trailering it .... for pete's sake I built the car to drive and the more time behind the wheel the better.

Slicks/tools/parts/luggage .... you name it can ride back there.

I've been looking at the tear drop sights to get an idea of how they build those, but those don't seem to have the durability I think I want. The V nose design will help w/the aero. Height will be kept to 54" or so total to keep it as low as the car's roof line.

Another plus as I see it with these trailers is that the cross members for the trailer are dropped where the 'ski would sit giving more interior room. Not gonna sleep in it ... just a trailer for hauling my crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                  Gene that actually was my thought for the siding .... I think it looks better than aluminum.

Comment

Think where you put your SEAMS for doors as well as corners.. Having everything wet kinda defeats the purpose..
                    Unless tou don't mind wet stuff, make it out of expanded metal for aero.. But out of sight, theives will not try to get in if they can't see something to steal...

Comment

Idea....I saw a snowmobile trailer where... the entire top was one assembled piece that hinged on one side of the deck...made for unrestricted access and the hinge pins were removeable for when a flat deck was required...also easily sealed... only a perimeter seal.
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                      X