• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric motorcycle

brammo empulse

something clever about this one.
    a transmission and chain drive.

chain is probably part of the cooling, and the engine needs a limiter not a helper..the other end for reasoning a tranny many forget about.

I'd buy.

56 miles highway would keep me in the city errands.

if one curve and no tranny is do able...

carbs would not be fading away.

I suppose I just admitted one curve is do able.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

We have an ECTA racer who worked out the rules for electric motorcycles in LSR. He devised a way to have engine classes (maybe by watts of battery, IIRC) so that similar bikes run for each record. And he's a great guy and a professor of engineering. He's involved his students in building and racing electric bikes and they've done pretty well. I think they're up around 80mph and going for more.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; March 11, 2013, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
      brammo empulse

something clever about this one.
      a transmission and chain drive.

chain is probably part of the cooling, and the engine needs a limiter not a helper..the other end for reasoning a tranny many forget about.

I'd buy.

56 miles highway would keep me in the city errands.

if one curve and no tranny is do able...

carbs would not be fading away.

I suppose I just admitted one curve is do able.
      I saw these not long ago and? Price: $16,995 . F* THAT . Next question.

at 470 pounds, it's not going to be as "hooligan" as it looks.
      Last edited by Beagle; March 11, 2013, 06:36 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

They've topped the 100mph average at the Isle of Man. From a dead stop, mind you.

I'm pretty sure the fastest trap speed is north of 150mph now. Too bad it's only a one lap race!

Brammo: http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/19...ic-motorcycle/

Zero: http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/04...es-first-ride/
        "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          We have an ECTA racer who worked out the rules for electric motorcycles in LSR. He devised a way to have engine classes (maybe by watts of battery, IIRC) so that similar bikes run for each record. And he's a great guy and a professor of engineering. He's involved his students in building and racing electric bikes and they've done pretty well. I think they're up around 80mph and going for more.

Dan
          A good aero program should put them WAY up there. Something like this sticking up in the breeze looking all motard , not so much. Too much wasted energy here. It may go that quick (80) but it's slaughtering the efficiency.
          Last edited by Beagle; March 11, 2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

The bikes Rob and the students have built are small, low to the ground, lightweight little things. Small batteries, light riders, good tucks (important in LSR). Nothing like what Barry posted up. There might be a pic on the James Madison University website but I have no idea how to post a pic from there on here anyway so I'm a total fail on this deal. Rechecked the rule book. The class is "E" but they can run "Omega" and the bikes are separated by battery voltage, not watts.

Dan

Comment

is this one of them? That's what I'm talking about. I sound pretty terse earlier - please don't get me wrong. I love this stuff, just not the price tag. The DIY stuff like above is not all that bad but batteries are still the major mofo in the cost equation. Maybe super capacitors but I don't want several of those under my nuts!!!

Comment

The kids build these on next to no money. So far none have fairings. I don't know the MC rules all that well but I'd guess that's a different class. Pretty sure that have streamlined, partially streamlined (I think the bike in the pic fits there) and non-streamlined or "naked" as we say at the track. The Jams Madison bikes so far have all been naked IIRC. Now I'm going to check their website.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X