No announcement yet.

Who influenced you into modifying cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandfather getting me car mags when I was very young to "look at the pictures" and I just kept buying them as I got older. My 6th grade science teacher was a huge gearhead and drove a Ferrari when it was nice out but he had a few Vettes and loved talking about them. He would go on and on about stuff ,I loved it.

Comment

My next door neighbor when I was growing up. He owned a 76 station in town and was always working on something in his driveway. His garage and office had gas powered radio controlled models hanging from the ceiling (in 1967!) After helping us neighborhood kids build go carts and fix our motorcycles, he helped me pick out my first car (69 Dodge Charger R/T) and then taught me how to fix it and modify it. When I wanted to paint the Charger he first taught me some metal work skills by having me roll exhaust tips. He always had time to show you how to do things, even for an excitable 14 year old with attention deficit.
      BKB
      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

It was the neighbor across the street. He owned a service station and would let me hang out pump gas and use the impact wrench. The biggest thing was his F 100. It was his daily driver typical Gm clip small block th350 and a ten bolt. I loved the way it sat big’s and little’s nice rake. My taste have changed but if I could get my hands on it (He still has it) the only change I would make is paint it black again. It fell victim to the turquoise /teal fad. As a kid playing in the yard I would stop and watch when he left hoping for some tire smoke more times than not he would oblige. The best part was as I got older he would let me move it around the yard or his shop BIG THRILL for a too young to be driving gearhead in training.
        Last edited by Hezie; March 16, 2013, 08:49 PM.
        Just because you can...Don't mean you should.

Comment

Originally posted by Hezie View Post
          It was the neighbor across the street. He owned a service station and would let me hang out pump gas and use the impact wrench. The biggest thing was his F 100. It was his daily driver typical Gm clip small block th350 and a ten bolt. I loved the way it sat big’s and little’s nice rake. My taste have changed but if I could get my hands on it (He still has it) the only change I would make is paint it black again. It fell victim to the turquoise /teal fad. As a kid playing in the yard I would stop and watch when he left hoping for some tire smoke more times than not he would oblige. The best part was as I got older he would let me move it around the yard or his shop BIG THRILL for a too young to be driving gearhead in training.
          That looks just like my auto shop teacher's F100. His was rootbeer metallic with a dual quad 428/ 4 spd. I drove it to the interior shop sitting on a milk crate. The super stiff clutch was either full on or not. I kept flopping back and hitting my head on the back window. Thing hauled ass. He had me drive it because I could drive a stick and I couldn't drive the van owned by the school district. What a fun day that was.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My Dad and my brother. Dad was a truck mechanic for years, he finally went to the factory (GM). Then he started building engines in the back garage and let me help. Then my brother got a service station and I went to work there. One day I couldn't even spell mechanic, the next day I am one. Dad bought me a 67 Camaro for my 17th birthday, put it on stands, and showed me how to do brakes. After 30 years I finally gave it to my daughter. Oh, I made her rebuild the engine in her T-bird before she was 16.

Comment

jeesh ya know, i did not mention the net.

I did have a neighbor that built high end rods..he even won awards.
              It was not so inspiring seeing the mistakes and frustration. Beautiful cars..but always something. mostly air fuel.

air fuel is my fun today.

I have a subaru posted at this hot rod forum. Not likely. I found porsche held records with an air cooled 2.7L flat six.. I have been banging on a 1.8L water cooled boxer for years. the net got me into that..I would never have known in my locale. No super cars here.

Double sizing in everything.. a modern air fuel monitor.

the net is my number one influence...and I am 40. Still gobbling info up like a kid.
              Tradition does get altered..anyone just needs facts as an influence.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Dad fixing, stripping cars.
                My neighbor Marv was a bodyman.
                He worked at Fisher Body from 1940's-70's.
                He painted cars in his garage, saw a lot of cool cars.
                Marv moved out, John the mechanic moved in..
                I learned a lot from him, he taught me how to do my first brake job.

I watched Brad Sears on PBS in my youth too..

Click image for larger version

Name:	lcg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	868268

Comment

Working...
                X