• Show
Clear All

• Nuts & Bolts

What's a good method of storing and
    separating them?
    I've got hundreds but need some ideas to
    organize them.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

I bought one of these and hung it on the wall in my shed, when doing jobs I have a tendency of accumulating boxes of Nails and screws so this made it an easy way for me to see what I have without thumbing through a bunch of boxes......

Fallow the link HF has many other options.....

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
    Last edited by TC; March 15, 2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Didn't think about HF
      I want to organize by size and thread (coarse/ fine)
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

All my various junk is in old baby formula cannisters. My method blows goats. LOL
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Another neat trick is to take baby food jars, screw the lids to a board fill the container and screw it onto the lid...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm with TC..................God knows how I ever found anything in my stainless pile before Santa stopped by HF.....

I hung mine on the wall though, couldn't stand the thought of losing more floor space. Works fine, and I keep my boxes of drywall screws and nails on the top shelf of it.
            Last edited by STINEY; March 15, 2013, 06:25 PM.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

labels , Word for Windows has label templates, bolt boxes from Lowes or HF or wherever... as big of a pig as I am (notice pig like bench) I've been trying to get more organized about this. I *hate* looking for something when I'm in the middle of mad scientist mode.

I don't think you can read the labels, but they say things like 1/4-20x 1/2, 1/4-28x1, 5/16-20x (length) whatever the size is. I try to keep a bunch of stuff between 1/4 and 3/8 in both fine and coarse. I'm slowly filling in the holes. Junk is expensive!

I would love to have my old bolt box at work, Lawson bolt and nut drawers, man that guy loved me.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                labels , Word for Windows has label templates, bolt boxes from Lowes or HF or wherever... as big of a pig as I am (notice pig like bench) I've been trying to get more organized about this. I *hate* looking for something when I'm in the middle of mad scientist mode.

I don't think you can read the labels, but they say things like 1/4-20x 1/2, 1/4-28x1, 5/16-20x (length) whatever the size is. I try to keep a bunch of stuff between 1/4 and 3/8 in both fine and coarse. I'm slowly filling in the holes. Junk is expensive!

I would love to have my old bolt box at work, Lawson bolt and nut drawers, man that guy loved me.
                I like that! Labels make finding things easier.
                Thom

Comment

about twenty years ago I got a bunch of leftover cardboard bins from the parts store....I have bolts in them. But they're all coming apart now. And I never did sort them by length or thread, so I have to dump out the whole bin to find just the right bolt, and usually I end up not finding it at all.

I also have a few of the smaller plastic drawer bins, they work good. The hard part is spending the time to sort and label them all.

And I have a Dorman hardware assortment that I got for around a hundred bucks also 20 years ago, it works well for new hardware, but I have to remember to restock it every now and then.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Bolt Bench

For you guys that have the room for a bolt bench.
                    I used one like this for years just had separators out of plywood.
                    Kept 1/4 all lengths in one 5/16 all lengths in another etc.
                    Each section was about 1 sq foot and when I needed a bolt I just shuffled them around until I found it. Easy to throw bolts into and get them out.
                    The only problems were they get dusty and the bench gets heavy quick.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Drawn to scale?

That's a neat idea.....
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My scale is a little off tonight. haha

Just a quick drawing on my etch a sketch.

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchn2 View Post
                          My scale is a little off tonight. haha

Just a quick drawing on my etch a sketch.
                          Good stuff
                          Thom

Comment

I use something like this too. Smaller for hardware, larger for brackets, ign parts, exhaust clamps/flanges, hose clamps, breathers, thermostat housings, misc springs, pulleys.....................

Last edited by groucho; March 15, 2013, 07:56 PM.
                            STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                              Another neat trick is to take baby food jars, screw the lids to a board fill the container and screw it onto the lid...
                              thats what my dad does
                              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                              X