Nuts & Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i use plastic coffee containers

Last edited by 1badmonkey; March 15, 2013, 08:21 PM.
    Charles

Comment

I use something like this for some of them

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
        I use something like this for some of them
        Good idea, but I have trouble with breakage with the glass jars when around busy work areas
        STUGOTS

Comment

True^^^ But they are kind of away from where I would be working usually. They were on the wall when I bought the house so I kept using them!

Comment

Here's my mess.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by groucho; March 16, 2013, 08:05 AM.
            STUGOTS

Comment

I bought 3 sections of bolt bin off of craigs list for $50. Looks like this bolted together 3 tall.
              It is very handy. I have small plastic bins in some compartments. Other compartments have small parts, or boxes of clamps, zip ties, roll pins, o-rings, or whatever.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	7740-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	868243
              A.K.A. Brian
              Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                Here's my mess.
                The large bins are a good idea.......didn't think of them
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Better than mine! Old hub caps!

Comment

I use an old drawer set that had been for pills etc. at a hospital. Used bolts go to the left, new ones right, in drawers marked for size. Anything that needs to be sorted in just goes on top 'til I feel like doing it. There's another similar cabinet for about $10K in sheetmetal punches, from a used office equip. store. Heavy stuff, with ball bearing drawers...I think I paid about $150 for that one, totally worth it.

I used to use plastic bins but have way too much crap and not enough wall space.

Name:	DSC04601.JPG
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	868244
                    Last edited by Loren; March 16, 2013, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I've accumulated a load of greasy used bolts over the years. I'm currently in the process of cleaning and sorting them.

I take gallon plastic jugs and fill them with a mix of Oil eater and water. Then I fill them with bolts, nuts and other fasteners, put a lid on the container, put them in the back of my vehicle, either trunk or bed of the truck and drive around with them for a week. I cut them out of the plastic jug and strain the contents. They come out really clean. I spray them with WD40 to keep them from rusting. If the grime stays stubbornly attached, I finish them off with a brass wire wheel on the stationary grinder.

I purchased a label making machine, which are really cheap now a days, and plan to get one of the bin arrangements previously posted. Then, using my cleaning taps and dies, I plan to size everything and put them in the appropriately labeled bins. I can bring them inside and sort while watching tv or listening to a race.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

I got a friend that works at fastenal. He hooked me up with the cabinet and stock of grade 9 bolts. Also have a friend in the elevator business that keeps the small bolt bin full of grade five hardware. The only thing I've had to buy in years is 5/16 stuff.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	868262
                        Last edited by 1Y; March 17, 2013, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                          I use an old drawer set that had been for pills etc. at a hospital. Used bolts go to the left, new ones right, in drawers marked for size. Anything that needs to be sorted in just goes on top 'til I feel like doing it. There's another similar cabinet for about $10K in sheetmetal punches, from a used office equip. store. Heavy stuff, with ball bearing drawers...I think I paid about $150 for that one, totally worth it.

I used to use plastic bins but have way too much crap and not enough wall space.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19252[/ATTACH]
                          That rules right there.

I use mostly Grey Poupon jars plus some larger ones for larger items which I am not happy with. But I move alot so they are easy to pack. One trick I clearly remember my Dad teaching me was when you dump out the whole jar to find that one screw you need, dump it on a piece of newspaper. Then after you find the right one, pick up the newspaper by the edges, fold it in half with all the other screws in there, and slide them all back in the jar lickety-split. Way better than dumping them on the bench and chasing them around with your hands.
                          1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19252[/ATTACH]
                            That looks like a great solution, I tried to buy a drawer unit like that at an Auction, this one was over 5 ft. tall but some guy wanted it worse then I did, it brought around $1,200
                            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300 View Post
                              That rules right there.

I use mostly Grey Poupon jars plus some larger ones for larger items which I am not happy with. But I move alot so they are easy to pack. One trick I clearly remember my Dad teaching me was when you dump out the whole jar to find that one screw you need, dump it on a piece of newspaper. Then after you find the right one, pick up the newspaper by the edges, fold it in half with all the other screws in there, and slide them all back in the jar lickety-split. Way better than dumping them on the bench and chasing them around with your hands.
                              Damn Phil..........how much Grey Poupon do you consume
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

It's taken years to get this far and I'm not done yet but here's how I deal with nuts & bolts

Name:	IMG_1122.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	868264
                                This is my storage solution in the shop, it's on wheels and you can roll it to wherever you're working

Name:	IMG_1123.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	868265
                                This is the Bolt storage in the car trailer

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	868266This is a Baker's bread rack, makes excellent storage for the larger bolts, brackets, threaded rods, misc. and etc.

The Fastenal drawers weren't cheap but all the rest of it came from Auctions including 80% of the bolts.
                                Last edited by Grumpy; March 17, 2013, 02:31 PM.
                                sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X