Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Paper is Made
    It starts with trees.
    Maybe a land owner calls the Woodlands department and says he or she want to sell the trees on a plot of property they own. To clear it, for whatever reason. A Woodlands person goes out there and walks the property and estimates how much wood fiber is on that property.
    Or it can be a planted (planned) growth. Like a crop of corn. Plant pine trees, let them grow, cut them, plant some more. A renewable resource.
    Lots of people cut and haul the trees to the mill.
    At the mill the bark is knocked off of the logs in a giant grater-thing. The bark goes to the Powerhouse to be burned as fuel in a power boiler to make steam for the process.
    Run the debarked trees though a chipper, about 30,000 horsepower. Big stuff. The chipper can eat a tree up to 36 inches in diameter and the sound of that thing never changes tune, an awesome sight and sound. It makes chips the right size to cook in a digester ( a giant perssure cooker) or to be sent to TMP (Thermo Mechanical Pulping) where the chips are torn into fibers by pressure plates so strong they produce steam in the process .
    That’s just barely the start of the process. That’s just the beginning of it to get to the paper you take for granted. Be it toilet paper or the paper in a book or the paper in in the bill you hate to get in the mail.
    Barely the beginning. So many people, so many steps involved. Does anybody want to know the rest?
    I can go on for hours. It’s a fascinating processs, making paper. And it’s dying, paper is. It sure is. A buggy whip industry.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

No way would I try to tell you everything is fine. But since we went to a new inventory system (SAP) we are going through 3 times the paper.
      Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 16, 2013, 12:34 PM.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Just responding to your title of this thread... What's wrong with you? Answer: not a damn thing... you are a caring individual, not a machine... and as has been proven you have an excellent support system (as we all have) that will continue to be there when required... we have big shoulders brother... so, shrug shoulders, smile and give the "unit" a hug... life goes on... take comfort in that.
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          How Paper is Made
          It starts with trees.
          Maybe a land owner calls the Woodlands department and says he or she want to sell the trees on a plot of property they own. To clear it, for whatever reason. A Woodlands person goes out there and walks the property and estimates how much wood fiber is on that property.
          Or it can be a planted (planned) growth. Like a crop of corn. Plant pine trees, let them grow, cut them, plant some more. A renewable resource.
          Lots of people cut and haul the trees to the mill.
          At the mill the bark is knocked off of the logs in a giant grater-thing. The bark goes to the Powerhouse to be burned as fuel in a power boiler to make steam for the process.
          Run the debarked trees though a chipper, about 30,000 horsepower. Big stuff. The chipper can eat a tree up to 36 inches in diameter and the sound of that thing never changes tune, an awesome sight and sound. It makes chips the right size to cook in a digester ( a giant perssure cooker) or to be sent to TMP (Thermo Mechanical Pulping) where the chips are torn into fibers by pressure plates so strong they produce steam in the process .
          That’s just barely the start of the process. That’s just the beginning of it to get to the paper you take for granted. Be it toilet paper or the paper in a book or the paper in in the bill you hate to get in the mail.
          Barely the beginning. So many people, so many steps involved. Does anybody want to know the rest?
          I can go on for hours. It’s a fascinating processs, making paper. And it’s dying, paper is. It sure is. A buggy whip industry.
          I sell the stuff that uses what you make. I feel for your folks, and we will feel the pain eventually.
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Don't sweat it PW, everyone has their moments. I understand your grief/pain/anger. I worked for a company for almost 20 years before bailing out. It went from a single owner, to two, then three. One day, BAM it was sold for 20 million plus a 10 year locked in property lease for triple rate. Three mergers later lots of good people were gone, lots of crappy low budget workers and management in place. Ah, the money and politics of international corporate yuck. My (read everyone's) retirement/ insurance went away with one merger. Lots of anger erupted when that email went out! I get it, work can SUCK!

Oh, wtf is that smell!?! LOL

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
            Know way would I try to tell you everything is fine. But since we went to a new inventory system (SAP) we are going through 3 times the paper.
            OH YUCK! SAP HATE HATE HATE IT!
            We had a very painful and expensive transition to SAP. It was much more of a pain than what we had.
            A.K.A. Brian
            Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Thanks so much guys. Yeah, therapy of the wrong kind on my part. Thank you Sirs, all of ya.

I have the feel that we are a big family here and some of us have met and some not. And I'm the weird nephew, but I'm okay with that.

And thanks for the update on SAP. What's left of our operation will go to SAP in November, so they say. It sounds just like what I didn't know enough to be afraid of. I'll be in charge of coordinating the training for that, which is why I'm still employed I guess.

Comment

hmmm... not to be joking in such a time of stress; however, I can't resist (remember, they took my humanity when I got my practice)

The top stressors in life (in this order) divorce, public speaking, job loss, death... So Pdub, is the real reason that you're stressed because you're going to have to speak in public? (training)

I love the irony of this statement - in a funeral, the person speaking would rather be the dead person...
                I guess in your case, you'd rather have lost your job than train

okay, you can go back to grieving
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 16, 2013, 08:49 AM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  hmmm... not to be joking in such a time of stress; however, I can't resist (remember, they took my humanity when I got my practice)

The top stressors in life (in this order) divorce, public speaking, job loss, death... So Pdub, is the real reason that you're stressed because you're going to have to speak in public? (training)

I love the irony of this statement - in a funeral, the person speaking would rather be the dead person...
                  I guess in your case, you'd rather have lost your job than train

okay, you can go back to grieving
                  There's a whole lot of lists of things available. Lemme see, one of them goes denial, acceptance, anger, grieving, or something like that.

No I'm done grieving SBG. I did that in front of y'all and y'all didn't even know I was doing that, and I didn't either until I finally figured it out.

And yeah, I've seen that list of worst things in order of disasteredness, but the one I saw was topped off my the death of a spouse, and then divorce was second.

And another statistic that says people these days by the time they reach 30 years old most folks have had about 15 different jobs. Two years is a career with a company these days.

I'm hidden back in there somewhere, off the grid. Same company almost 37 years (it looks like I'll see April 7, that's the anniversary) and I just hate to see a layoff happen. Beyond my normal capability to comprehend.

I'll be okay on the inside real soon. Thank you guys for keeping me.

Comment

SAP, been working with it for 10yrs, from a Management standpoint its great, some users like others hate it. IT (me) if it is not SAP its another app that people feel the same way about.

Glad you are snapping out of PW.
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Pdub - I really didn't think you have been all that jerkey. You were annoyed because a piece you bought didn't fit as anticipated - seems pretty normal to me.

That said, I feel for the 150 who are now adrift. Even if they do eventually come out ahead (and they might) the upheaval is in and of itself devastating. If you didn't care it wouldn't be all that devastating. The Tin Woodsman as Dorothy was leaving for Kansas: "Now I know I have a heart because it's breaking". I'd rather have you WITH a heart - but I'm sorry it's breaking right now.

Dan

Comment

PeeWee, hang in there man. Go drive the piss out of Red whenever you get the chance. You can't change what is happening around you, but you can take your mind off it from time to time.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Having just recently getting laid off I can kinda relate to what you're going through. Friends I have that still work at Truck say that was the hardest thing they ever watched when we all got walked out, jobless.
                          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Firing underperforming assholes was never something that cost me sleep. Laying guys off when business got slow sucked out loud.
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                              Firing underperforming assholes was never something that cost me sleep. Laying guys off when business got slow sucked out loud.
                              It's a union shop, so everything is based on seniority, including layoffs. This layoff goes DEEP. 19 years deep for the production workers.

Comment

They closed the plant I worked at a few years ago. I was high seniority so I was one of the last out. As such, I had to disconnect the machines to send to other places. Removing machines I had installed years before to send to China was the worst.

Comment

Working...
                                X