Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most over-rated car of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the most over-rated car of all time?

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    Originally posted by RyanWalker
    Of course no one was referring to the cylinder heads as issue of strength, you just summed it up the best, horses for courses.
    if you're such a fan of stock Hemis then you must love stock Toyota 2JZs and Mitsubishi 4G63s, since both of them will do an easy 5.5-6hp per cubic on STOCK internals, right?

There's about zero percent Mopar in the "Hemi's" that race in Top Fuel today anyways. Lame argument.
    They still run a hemi BASED design. Lame argument? I think not. Go build something smart geek, the world needs you! Of course hemi's are hyped. A blind man can see that. It's a selling point, I'm just giving credit where it's due. Didn't mean to get everybody's panties in a twist!! I'm not referring to the modern day junk, I'm speaking about there small time in the sun. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanWalker
      Of course hemi's are hyped. A blind man can see that. It's a selling point,
      And that is everyone elses point, it it OVER-hyped. Good, probably, great, likely, Godly? Not so much.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Like many other motor sport formulas originating in the United States, the NHRA favors heavy restrictions on engine configuration, rather than technological development. This restricts the teams to using many decades old technologies.

The engine used to power a Top Fuel drag racing car has its roots in the second generation Chrysler Hemi 426 "Elephant Engine" made 1964-71. Although the Top Fuel engine is built exclusively of aftermarket parts, it retains the basic configuration with two valves per cylinder activated by pushrods from a centrally-placed camshaft. The engine has hemispherical combustion chambers, a 90 degree V angle; 4.8" bore pitch and a 5.4" cam lift. The configuration is identical to the overhead valve, single camshaft-in-block "Hemi" V-8 engine which became available for sale to the public in selected Chrysler Corporation (Dodge, DeSoto, and Chrysler) automotive products in 1952.
        They are still based of a hemi. Yes as a general statement, hemi's are hyped. You look at most hardcore mopar race cars/ street racers/ whatever they don't run a hemi. I was refering to the pro fuel cars. I'm also just messing with you dieselgeek, I respect your opinions and vast knowledge ( you know a shitload more than me ). Just needed to speak up on some fact. Anyways... back to the subject, most overated car of all time, mine. It keeps getting faster as it sits.

Comment

BMW -99% of these yuppie leakers are over-rated

Comment

BMW calls itself the ultimate driving machine..

guess its all just perspective. if youve never driven a car thatll try and murder you, or have you incarcerated while you try to drive to the store for a soda, then i guess to you, something with woodgrain on the dash and leather wrapped interior parts might actually be the ultimate driving machine..

Comment

Originally posted by hamrmech
              BMW calls itself the ultimate driving machine..

guess its all just perspective. if youve never driven a car thatll try and murder you, or have you incarcerated while you try to drive to the store for a soda, then i guess to you, something with woodgrain on the dash and leather wrapped interior parts might actually be the ultimate driving machine..
              They are not overrated while doing donuts on ice behind the dealership with the traction control off...................lol

Comment

Having worked on one of them (a little '92 318i) replacing timing belt, cam followers and a head gasket..
                ..and having driven the same car, I'd have to say with my very limited experience that they are not under or over rated.
                Very easy to work on, most genuine parts were quite reasonably priced, and the thing sticks like shit to a blanket around corners.

Also a friend of mine had an 840. That thing flew, handled very well and was luxury inside.

I like BMWs and think they make a nice car.

Comment

BMW's are really nice cars, I used to work for a dealer, and I would really have to say they are one of the easiest cars to work one.

Comment

i worked at a goodyear store about 11-12 years ago. once a month or so, our old school shop foreman would meet with other shop managers and they'd go to lunch. there was a caddy dealer across the street, a pontiac dealer, bmw, and the import garage from clear across town.. well, the BMW guy showed up early to show off this roadster they were selling. he was wearing a BMW jacket, and had a BMW keychain, BMW hat. all seemed to say "ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" on em.. he was bragging about how it was the greatest thing..well, this guy from the import garage (thats the name of the place, for real) shows up in a countach. it rolls up, and he revs it.. sounds like SEX, the windows were bowing in and out in the sales area and shaking.. it was light gray and had huge wheels on it.. its a lambo, the kind of car you think of when you think LAMBO..face it, its shape is just badassed. i turned to this beemer guy, and i go "ultimate driving machine, my ass." he looked like he wanted to punch me in the face.. after that, we didnt BS anymore when hed come around the shop. he kinda took it personal, to a degree i couldnt quite believe..

Comment

He probably owned a house with a garage to park his BMW in, instead of being able to afford just a Lambo, like most of us schmucks. :P

Comment

Originally posted by THUNDERBIRD86
                        Get ready to hate me: LS-6 chevelle never seen a any ware neer stock one that was fast don't think there that I have ever seen a "stock" 454 that was as bad ass as a 427 . I am aware that 454 + sized big chevy are possibly the best drag race motor you could ask for, just suck in stock form.
                        Wow. Have you ever driven an LS6 Chevelle?
                        Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

FOR THE PRICE - f cars and mustangs out drive every bmw
                          getrag trans , getrag rear , hydramatic trans ,bosch electrics , delco electric , siemanns
                          what on the car does bmw build ?

Comment

The engines ;).And the body (and interior?)

Comment

Working...
                            X