So I've been thinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've been thinking...

Hugger Orange might be the solution. Single color & single stage acrylic urethane.

I haven't shot the clear yet so either way I have to spray it again.
    Last edited by Guest; March 24, 2013, 12:15 AM.

I like the idea. I'd go with acrylic enamel, but that would require having someone spray it who knows what he's doing. (not a slam on you, it's a slam on me, when I've tried it)
    Last edited by squirrel; March 24, 2013, 05:53 AM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm not sure what you have going on there.Were you planing a two tone and finished it and didn't like it or your half way through and don't like it. I'm guessing it is a Nova since you said hugger orange but with that light colored quarter it was looking like a Duster. If half done and I think that's where your at, I would need to know what the bottom color was going to be. If it's straight just paint it gloss black. That's my over all answer for everything.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

With the light and dark colors on there now, spraying a relatively light topcoat on it like it is would result in the shades showing up in the orange. That means a sealer, or primer, or a silver base coat that is thick enough to hide the stuff under it, if you dont want to sand most of it off and start over.

As long as it isnt metallic, single stage isnt hard to shoot. Get it thin and put it on light so it doesnt run, sag or peel. Metallic, candy, and pearl are harder to shoot in single stage, but not impossible. Hugger is non metallic so it shouldnt be too bad. Practice a few times on something like an old hood first. Set it upright, and lay it flat so you can see how it works on the sides and top of the car. I use 55 gallon drums to practice. Lots of curves and I can get all sorts of angles on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
          With the light and dark colors on there now, spraying a relatively light topcoat on it like it is would result in the shades showing up in the orange. That means a sealer, or primer, or a silver base coat that is thick enough to hide the stuff under it, if you dont want to sand most of it off and start over.

As long as it isnt metallic, single stage isnt hard to shoot. Get it thin and put it on light so it doesnt run, sag or peel. Metallic, candy, and pearl are harder to shoot in single stage, but not impossible. Hugger is non metallic so it shouldnt be too bad. Practice a few times on something like an old hood first. Set it upright, and lay it flat so you can see how it works on the sides and top of the car. I use 55 gallon drums to practice. Lots of curves and I can get all sorts of angles on them.
          I think you hit the nail on the head with the shading problem, I don't want to re-prime the car.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
            I'm not sure what you have going on there.Were you planing a two tone and finished it and didn't like it or your half way through and don't like it. I'm guessing it is a Nova since you said hugger orange but with that light colored quarter it was looking like a Duster. If half done and I think that's where your at, I would need to know what the bottom color was going to be. If it's straight just paint it gloss black. That's my over all answer for everything.
            I do have a couple quarts of black laying around and I think that would cure the shading problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NightShifter View Post
              I think you hit the nail on the head with the shading problem, I don't want to re-prime the car.
              Some obsolete article I read years ago.. Eons ago? Said to use different shades of primer to get a custom look..
              Like darker on lowers and dark on the roof so it pops..Or vise versa..
              Tried it (halfassedly) on a derby car, just to see what happens. It did show thru.. Remember.. My cars are always TITTY PINK as they enter the arena..

Comment

Why not just lay down a coat of sealer? I do like hugger orange ... I say do it!
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                  Why not just lay down a coat of sealer? I do like hugger orange ... I say do it!
                  Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a 69 http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...8/viewall.html

I got a lot of time to think about it, no rush on this one.
                  Last edited by Guest; March 24, 2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Shoot the whole car in that nice dark blue and be done.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

hopefully the interior is a neutral color... other than that, shoot it whatever color you like...but, the idea of a sealer or base silver coat is a good one... black will darken hugger to a burnt orange...orange is almost a candy color that relies on the base coat for a lot of it's luster...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        Shoot the whole car in that nice dark blue and be done.
                        That or sell it. I've got a 73 Camaro sitting here now that's infested with black widows & I'm dying to get started on it....or finished, whatever.

Comment

That or sell it. I've got a 73 Camaro sitting here now that's infested with black widows & I'm dying to get started on it....or finished, whatever.

I'm "Blimey That Smells Foul!" a bit partial t' th' Camaro idee, better look'n car than th' Nova

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                            I'm "Blimey That Smells Foul!" a bit partial t' th' Camaro idee, better look'n car than th' Nova
                            They're both cool cars. The thing I like about the Nova is it has a clutch, but I am partial to the Camaro. Now if you stuck a Mustang Fastback in my face I might have to off the Camaro too. Just the way it is dude.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                              Check this one out.

I found it sitting under a carport in Needles Ca. It's a factory hugger orange 1970 RS/SS grabbed it for $1,700.

Comment

Working...
                              X