Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designing a new Early Hemi Single Plane Intake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff going on there!

I've got a 392 Hemi and a 354 Chrysler-poly to test this manifold on for ya if you want...
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Manifold is back from the welder who did a very nice job. This casting is so thick that the next step is to start roughing in the runners to help with the welding process (thinner walls for better weld penetration). Once I get that portion done the flanges will get welded on.

Nick Smithberg
      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Those beads sure look good down in that valley. To me anyway.

Comment

Made some more progress last night.

Started by milling more off the runners to get things to line up better. I took .100 off each side.

Then I worked on getting the flange lined up the way I want and scribed for the port layout.

Working on notching for the intake bolts. I also slotted them to be able to have vertical movement if needed.

Last, got the flange to the point where I can pin it in place to help hold it for welding. I plan to reshape and remove some material from the runners and also get the runners roughed in to cut some weight out of this thing.
          Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Made some more progress tonight. I spent some time reshaping the casting so it will appear better and got rid of excess material. I mirrored each half to make sure they are shaped the same. Coming together.......

Last edited by BOSSMAN; September 20, 2013, 03:37 AM.
            Nick Smithberg
            www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

I had to go re-read this whole thing. Okay, I really went back and looked at the pictures, kind of like in old magazines from when I was a kid. ha. The big tapers on the outside runners had me thoroughly confused, but I may finally have a good mental picture from the inside shots that give a better runner shape image. Something I don't know if I get though is the runner length. Given the single four barrel, I know you have to make compromises, but is there any way to get the runner length similar between the inner and outer runners? Or am I thinking too much? From your chart I was guessing a little over an inch difference keeps it in your target area?

I really appreciate the time you've taken to document this, it's really neat. It's coming right along!
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

You do nice work, Nick! Next time we're in the Prairie I hope we can get together.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  You do nice work, Nick! Next time we're in the Prairie I hope we can get together.

Dan
                  Absolutely and thanks for the compliment!
                  Last edited by BOSSMAN; September 20, 2013, 02:49 PM.
                  Nick Smithberg
                  www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    I had to go re-read this whole thing. Okay, I really went back and looked at the pictures, kind of like in old magazines from when I was a kid. ha. The big tapers on the outside runners had me thoroughly confused, but I may finally have a good mental picture from the inside shots that give a better runner shape image. Something I don't know if I get though is the runner length. Given the single four barrel, I know you have to make compromises, but is there any way to get the runner length similar between the inner and outer runners? Or am I thinking too much? From your chart I was guessing a little over an inch difference keeps it in your target area?

I really appreciate the time you've taken to document this, it's really neat. It's coming right along!
                    The big taper in the rear of the manifold throws you off because it was what I would call an extended plenum design meaning it is longer front to back. Internally the ports are tiny and there is a ton of material to remove and shape how I desire. This raw casting that I started with was meant for a CNC machine so shops could make things the way they wanted and be universal enough to start with. The runner length is within 1" of each other so that usually helps broaden the power with different lengths (you just don't want alot of stagger). My goal for the manifold is to make power around 7000-8500 RPM to be universal enough for various cubic inch motors. Somewhere between 11"-12" is where I need to end up for overall intake tract length. Also the end runners need a little help so they will be slightly larger in area since they are not directly under the carb like the center runners.
                    Nick Smithberg
                    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Very nice...
                      Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Update on this one.

http://hotrodenginetech.com/fabricat...e-hemi-intake/

Also Featured in this book along with a few of my other projects.
                        Last edited by BOSSMAN; September 4, 2016, 05:56 AM.
                        Nick Smithberg
                        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Hi Nick - Really good to hear from you. Hope all is well and that the new shop is working for you as you hoped it would.

I was in the staging lanes at The Ohio Mile next to the guys with the orange sedan ('40 Ford, IIRC) sporting your heads and stuff. Great guys and their stuff was WORKIN'! Cool to say, "Yeah, I know that guy!" Hope you can make it to the track with the guys - I'd love to meet you in person.

BTW - the first link didn't open so you might want to take a look at that.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan! Yes, those guys had some issues initially. They couldn't keep a freeze plug in it, lost 2 or 3 IIRC. They should be back out next outing in Ohio. Hopefully hit Bonneville soon. Their goals for now are just to shake down the car and get licensing passes done before the bigger motor goes in. That one will reside in his street car. I'm involved in about a half dozen land speed projects now.

Shop is working out awesome and I'm busy as can be! I considered posting some pictures and video of the finished inside but may opt to keep it private instead. Too many prying eyes these days but rest assured it looks top notch. I get compliments often when people stop by.
                            Nick Smithberg
                            www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Link fixed!
                              Nick Smithberg
                              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Maybe it's a typo, but is that exhaust lift really only 0.490"?!?!?
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X