electric VS manual gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric VS manual gauges

i guess im a dinosaur,id rather have manual oil presure,water temp,..i looked at the new autometers and they where all electric,,,unless i missed something.

I use electric oil pressure gauges in all my cars and only my Centurion still has a mechanical temperature gauge.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I still have mostly mechanical guages for water, trans and oil temp, oil pressure, vacuum, crankcase vacuum, bottle pressure, but then I'm a gauge whore. I like the mechanical as they read regardless, car running batery on or off etc. I'm also running a bunch of electrical sensors for the EFI so I have it both ways. But there are issues, my water temps diverge by more than 10 degrees between the Auto Meter Pro-comp and the GM sensor fed into the Megasquirt. The beauty of electric and sensor driven is the ability to datalog and I've become a datalog whore too.Cheapie video camera can be a low budget substitute for datalogging as long as you can clearly see the guages in question and recongnise you won't have the same resolving power.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

within electric is analog and digital.

analog, like 80s size micron (big for gauges).. I am still running all original. 26 years, need nothing.

my digital afr will die before 26 years I could guess.

I still use vacuum mechanical..that is about all I kept. mechanical vacuum stuff.

it even bounces needle around realtime to show me timing belt status.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Guage whore:

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I use both on mine mech/elect oil pressure and mech/elect temp......in dash gauges and hood mounted gauges.............and on mine water temp they read 8 degrees apart...........mech samples from passenger side of motor block and the electric from the intake return.....
            That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

All mechanical.....oil pressure, water temp, vacuum
              For me they're easy to hook up and install.

Gauge whore?
              Yeah......I admit it

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                i guess im a dinosaur,id rather have manual oil presure,water temp,..i looked at the new autometers and they where all electric,,,unless i missed something.
                I think you're missing something

Free Shipping - AutoMeter Sport-Comp Analog Gauges with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Gauges at Summit Racing.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've not been very fond of mechanical gauges since the day that twin-bonanza's mechanical fuel pressure gauge was spraying 100/115 octane avgas all over my feet.........I prefer electric!!
                  Last edited by oletrux4evr; March 26, 2013, 09:47 PM.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I use electrical water temp and oil pressure and mechanical Amp and Voltage.

Haha. Just kidding.

I'm old school with my old gauges. The Impala's factory gauges, oil, vacuum are mechanical. The temp, amp are electrical. They all work only the temp gauge is not hooked up. I have a trio of Autogauge oil, temp, and volts. They are are mechanical.

I just replace my third temp gauge due to the lead burning through or kinking or something. My next set will be electrical.

My caprice has mechanical Sunpro set.

In reality, the mechanical gauges have a full sweep. At least, they used to. The electrical were only 120* sweep. Didn't like the looks.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      jim i was talking about the new custom gauges autometer has,,they look really cool.

Comment

Mechanical oil pressure and water temp for me!
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Because my race cars sometimes sit outside I don't like hood/cowl mounted gages and I don't want pressurized stuff inside the car so if pressure is involved I like electric. If it's temp I'm not real fussy. As I get working on the dash for the S-10 I'll post up what I'm doing - digital electric EGT, analog electric OP, digital photo tach, mechanical water temp - a real mis-mosh.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; March 27, 2013, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                            jim i was talking about the new custom gauges autometer has,,they look really cool.
                            Oh, I'm not into gauges that look like they are newer than about 40 years old

Which ones are you talking about? They have too many different versions now for me to be able to keep track of them
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I prefer gauges that work, that's about it.

I really love vintage tachometers - Monks' stash is enough to make me faint, but other wise - I want them to work and be easy to read.
                              Not a big fan of the plastic oil pressure hose - but it works for the most part.

I like the idea of a quick eye sweep to know all is well - like the vintage race cars - "if they're all at 12 o'clock - all is well" sort of thing.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X