No announcement yet.

electric VS manual gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic tubing is bad news, I use metal.... but it requires careful installation. I've had oil idiot light switches leak because there's a lot of heat near them, and oil pressure senders suffer the same fate after a while. There really isn't a foolproof gauge system, so it all boils down to what you like.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I was always 'all' mechanical gauges aswell until recently when I started working on a new dash for my daily.
      I found out upfront that a mechanical watertemp-gauge with it's fixed line on the gauge wasn't that good of an idea if I wanted to take the dash out again once in a while. So I bought an electrical tempgauge for that.
      The rest is still mechanical/analog.

Here's a mockup;
      Attached Files
      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Interesting I was just having the same discussion on my Project Car thread. I still haven't decided.
        It seems like nobody uses one of these for a mechanical oil pressure gauge, Why?

Way better than the plastic tube, and more flexable than the copper hard line.
        Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 27, 2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
          i guess im a dinosaur,id rather have manual oil presure,water temp,..i looked at the new autometers and they where all electric,,,unless i missed something.
          I notice on some brands the mechanical water temp has a much broader, and easier to read sweep than the electric version (the different temps are spread out more-270ish degree sweep Vs 120ish). Also, on expensive motors I run bigger line to the mechanical oil pressure for way faster response. So, for the most part, mechanical on the more serious stuff
          Last edited by groucho; March 27, 2013, 10:15 AM.
          STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
            Interesting I was just having the same discussion on my Project Car thread. I still haven't decided.
            It seems like nobody uses one of these for a mechanical oil pressure gauge, Why?

Way better than the plastic tube, and more flexable than the copper hard line.

As it would happen, I've ordered a Russel braided line for my dash-mounted oilgauge in favor of the nylontube and flimsy easy-to-kill fittings. For in a daily driver I didn't mind price for once.
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
            X