Bad Deal!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Deal!!

A guy I know was planning to build a big cube engine, he had been collecting parts and when life changed the project went to the wayside. He decided to offer the parts for sale on racingjunk. Joe from Alabama contacted him and struck a deal. So he met this guy near Kansas City and exchanged the parts for cash......... The cash all $3600.00 turned out to be counterfeit $100.00 bills. Guy is gone, parts are gone, seller has pile of worthless paper....... Bad Deal!
    There are many things that were done wrong in this deal. After more research the phone number area code was Wisconsin, the buyer did not want to meet at a public place, rather insisted to meet where ever there paths crossed on I-70. The deal was done at an exit that was one exit away from a major truckstop. The seller did not ask enough questions or ID the guy and did not record vehicle license plate numbers. Also one of those marker pens would have been good to have. Point of story friends.... BEAWARE of who, what, where and when. I don't care if it is craigslist, ebay, etc, we are comfortable in front of our keyboards but don't know who is on the other end of these deals.
    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

My son sold his car on Craigslist last year.........to someone on the East Side...Illinois.
    I went with him.......took a photo of the car the buyer came in.
    It was a Cadillac (go figure)......pretty rough with only one plate.

We did the marker thing on all the $100 bills and they checked out.

I hate to hear stories like this......especially car guys who get screwed out of their
    hard work.
    I don't guess he might have anything that would have the perps fingerprints on it?
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

that Sucks!

where do you get one of the markers to check bills?

I've sold a lot of things cash - and I've been lucky (and nieve) and haven't gotten a "bill checker".
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Most office supply stores will have them in stock.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I always check bills for counterfeiting when I sell something. I probably should get a marker too. I was given counterfeit bills a couple times when I delivered pizza. They weren't that good either. Didn't look or feel right. I get $100 bills now and again as tips and I always wonder if they are fake.

For that amount of money in counterfeit bills, I wonder if the Secret Service would be interested in investigating it.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            that Sucks!

where do you get one of the markers to check bills?

I've sold a lot of things cash - and I've been lucky (and nieve) and haven't gotten a "bill checker".
            WalMart has them in the office supply section, Office Depot, Staples, pretty much anywhere that sells office supplies. They're only a couple of bucks, not a bad idea if you deal with cash a lot.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Does he have anything to identify the guy? Post it around the web on car sites who knows what might pop up. That really sucks that some one would do that.

Comment

They also have black lights that when shown on the bill will make the magnetic strip glow....... I have one of those marker pens and the light is built into it.......

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                  Does he have anything to identify the guy? Post it around the web on car sites who knows what might pop up. That really sucks that some one would do that.
                  Like an Email address or phone number??

Comment

Secret Service is involved. I don't know all of the details, phone number is all he had. Person claimed to be from Alabama, traveling in a Buick. The money was all crumpled and maybe run through a dryer, I guess the copies were pretty good. Don't label me raciest however the buyer was a large black man driving a Buick. The engine block was still in its original Dart box with shipping label to Harry Heads, Sioux City, Iowa. Below are the links from racing junk. I don't know everything involved here, just overall bad deal.

200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

I wonder if Racing Junk could be of help?......if any correspondence
                      came through their site.

Also do the Craigslist search where you search nation wide.

Last edited by Monk; March 28, 2013, 05:58 AM.
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

For that amount of money in counterfeit bills, I wonder if the Secret Service would be interested in investigating it.
                        Good point! Worth looking into that
                        STUGOTS

Comment

Wow ..

Just

woooowwwwww ..
                          sigpic

Comment

I was given a $100 that was probably a $1. It was washed with acid and reprinted so had the right paper and couldn't be detected with a marker. Funny thing is the guy had gotten it from a bank the day before.

Comment

Working...
                            X