interesting look at seatbelts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting look at seatbelts

found this in my local paper. Death in accidents related to seatbelt use or not. Maine has death way beyond a rte 128 in mass. kinda reasoning, nature is the big kill here.

I see in 2008 the fuel crunch and deaths dropped. Not only that... people died wearing seatbelts outnumbered those who were not.

Fuel prices high, seatbelted deaths outnumbered those who were not..

what is going on there.

I also see maine has some kinda quota about seatbelts. hope the antique status leaves me about my peaceful ride.. I think I could rip a (even a welded) b-pillar, right out of my Subaru with my hands and feet...like my chevy Corsica, and most other fairy taled "strong" side impact vehicles.

that is where seatbelts other half is held.

what is your theory on this stuff.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

My theory?

When the big guy decides your time is up, its up. Doesn't mean you should live recklessly though.

I've seen instances where terrible accidents, totally mangled persons ejected lived with no long-term problems. Same accidents, perfectly preserved bodies were removed after the seat belts were cut.

Personally, I met up with a 70's Coronet while on my GS750 Suzuki. 90 year-old lady totally blew a stop sign. I rolled down the side of the car (had Coronet imprinted on my arm in bruise, from the emblem on the quarter) and over the trunk. Landed on my feet in the middle of the intersection. No helmet, no head injuries.

If I had a helmet on, would I have suffered a broken neck? Who knows, but its very likely. Snap-rolls with that kind of weight on your head aren't a good idea.
    Do you think the newspaper reported that a bike rider survived without a helmet? No way. They only dramatize the fatalities.
    Last edited by STINEY; March 27, 2013, 08:50 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

More people that not were seat belts. Therefore most death victims of accidents will be wearing them.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
        More people that not were seat belts. Therefore most death victims of accidents will be wearing them.

good point.

Having thrashed locally my whole life on roads that make rally roads look like superhighways..
        wrecked twice sideways, belts equaled death. I was way down low though, cars..

I blame jacked up trucks. High gas prices...a whole world of stats flipped. Definitely trucks sitting in the driveway more.

The last tough trucks I remember were the droopy 70s, even into 80s. The last of 2wd all year round. No one cares to explain that in the market based world.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
        X