Who Knows About Plug-Ins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Knows About Plug-Ins?

I don't mean quick car parts replacements.

I mean...computer. My hard drive ate the rug last night, wouldn't even start up in the safe mode. Don't know if I ingested a bug or what. Despite three or four protection programs.

So total dump and start over. Lost everything. I had the few really critical things backed up, so I'm rebuilding as I go.

I'm seeing on posts here where there should be an embedded video, there's a gray box that says "Plug-in required."

I'm bragging about my computer ignorance. And remember I lost EVERYTHING.

What's up with the plug-in thing? It's gonna be a long weary process to get this box back up to where it was. Any quick suggestions RE the plug-in thing for embedded videos?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Just Click on it and download it and install it..... It's probably for Flash or Java or something like that so you can run videos in your browser..... You'll be safe.....

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
      Just Click on it and download it and install it..... It's probably for Flash or Java or something like that so you can run videos in your browser..... You'll be safe.....
      Okay, thanks TC! But, click on what?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug In.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	868753

It probably doesn't help that I got up to go to work about 15 hours ago. Yeah, yeah that could be a factor. Hmm.

I can Bangshift, though. I can still cause trouble, even as is.

Comment

Go here... https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

Check for plug-in updates... (mine are up to date)

Name:	plg.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	868755

If they're not up to date just follow the instructions & update them...

Comment

Alrighty, thanks Tardis!

That got Adobe Reader and McAfee Security up to date, but...nope on embedded videos.

I can run a lot of different softwares, at home and at work. I can work on a computer that's working. But when the puter crashes dead, I'm at a loss. I'm dumb as a dead stump with a possum buried underneath it.

Comment

is it dead or mostly dead... if it's dead, you only can check its proverbial pockets for loose change... however, I've had computers crash - hard drive smoking crash. And my computer guru has retrieved 99.999% of the information off them. So take it to a computer guy - they'll fix the drive so it spins, and can pull whatever wasn't completely garbled off.

and for next time (promise, there will be a next time), it only costs a few bucks a month to have cloud backup - so if it happens again, and it will, you simply get a new computer and download your entire computer contents from the cloud. I use Moxy, because they have no keys to what I have on their hard drives (confidentiality stuff)... IIRC it's 100 a year - and it backs up automatically.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ok..

Go here to test flash player.. http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Go here to test shockwave player.. http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Go here to test java applet.. http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yep. Thank you so much Tardis. Thank you so much Sir!

Did I ever say I love BangShift?

Yes, I do.

Comment

SBG, I've got a terrabyte remote hard drive where I store my important stuff. Enough to get back to business at least. Not a total-total loss. Just an aggravation.

Thanks Tardis and everybody! I really do appreciate the help, I needed it. Good stuff.

Comment

Name:	fxm.JPG
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	868759

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]19853[/ATTACH]
                      HhHHAhahaHAHHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep.