No announcement yet.

HELP! what makes a car run hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull dipstick, look at oil, if it is milky brown you got water in it.......

Comment

Water has to go somewhere... As steam when you open the cap, thru the exhaust (head gasket), into the oil (also head gasket on a good day,),
      Since you already removed the T-stat, hold heat to it.. (ciggy lighter works) it should move
      Also while it is full of water, running, you should see water flowing in the cap hole... If not.. Bad pump..
      Also while running if it is coming out the exhaust, more while revved.. Prolly head gasket..
      Even without a thermostat, a motor WILL still get hot... Most motors need a restrictor of some sort to slow down the water while it goes thru the radiator.. We use a gutted T-stat or a washer..

I'm not a master of overheats but gotta be pretty good at spotting it when it happens if it does something to the motor or not

Hope you just need a new thermostat or just a flush..

Comment

Another thing, with lack of maintenance, the aluminum parts will get eaten up. Timing cover, intake manifold, etc wherever they contact coolant.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I just had a really wierd one with a Cadillac northstar. New water pump and it was churning the coolant. But it wouldn't keep the hoses full. Finally figured out that the belt was stretched(seperate belt from serpentine) new belt topped it off and good to go. Overheating problems are my nemesis. Seems like your always chasing your tail.
          Jeff
          Follow My Build

Comment

Maybe the bottom hose is collapsing,could be the spring inside broke?

Comment

Working...
            X