No announcement yet.

Gas or Diesel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I learning with my Benz Diesel is that the engine is great. It's the CAR that sucks! I'm on a Benz forum quite a bit lately as I get mine sorted and I'm finding that the "car" issues are still in place. Too bad - engines seem to be fine.

The VWs are VERY tempting. I'm hoping to talk ME into one for her next car though the HHR is doing great for now. The TDIs are not cheap but they give amazing fuel economy and seem to be pretty durable (durability is a big deal for me).

Dan

Comment

The yearly cost of Urea may negate some of the fuel savings..

Small VW's.. Jetta, JSW, Golf TDIs don't use Urea.

Bigger VW's.. Passat TDI, Touareg TDI use Urea. (approx 4.5 Gallons)

My friend at the trucking company says they go through thousands of gallons of Urea a month, that (cow piss) is expensive, & only 1 company makes it..

Comment

New Diesels: OK
        Old Diesels: Stink
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Mazda is bringing out a "low compression" (14:1) Diesel sedan (626/mazda6) later this year - no exhaust aftertreatment whatsoever, and no DEF

I'm betting the aftermarket will soon have "DEF Delete kits" for "off road use only" if they don't already.

For the 6.0 Ford guys - the first right of passage is EGR delete kits which are readily available.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I was curious if passenger cars used/required DEF. I know from class 8 trucks down to pickups it's used and a hassle on the heavy truck side. DEF would be a big deterent for me to purchase a new diesel anything.

When I traded trucks a year ago, the fuel savings vs. cost per gallon was wash, not counting DEF costs.

Are passive/parked exhaust regenerations required on passenger cars? Teaching a truck "driver" who thinks he knows everything about his truck how to do a regen is challenging enough. I'd hate to try to explain the process and the need for it to the general population who think of cars as appliances.
            GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

My Dad bought an '85 VW Golf diesel new, followed up by an '86 for my mom, my brother picked up an '84 Rabbit diesel when he graduated in '89, and I've been tooling around in an '89 Jetta diesel for the last 7 or so years. As long as you gave them clean fuel and changed the oil they'd run until there was no car left around them, my brother's Rabbit is proof as he's around 260k miles on it and the engines running strong but a good pot hole and the body's gone.

In January he just picked up a 2013 Beetle TDI, damn engine is quieter than the V6 in my Buick and I think it actually has more pick up too. Definitely worth a look, he's been knocking down around 47 mpg and that's in stop and go traffic in one direction on his commute. If you're not going to be doing the long run boogie (20+ hwy miles at a clip) you won't see the diesel benefit so take that into account as well.

As for the urea injection, a friend with a 2012 Passat TDI goes through about a gallon or so each oil change (10k miles).

Biggest kick in the nuts on the VW TDI's is to not void the warranty you must use Castrol Edge 5W-40 full synthetic.

Also, Chevy is coming out with a diesel Cruze mid-summer.
              Last edited by joebogey; April 1, 2013, 10:16 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                I pulled derby cars over the mountains.. Down freeways at 85 mph.. Redwood highway with a 50/50 2- car trailer.. With a 77 chev flatbed and a Ford 7.3 turbo diesel.. Diesel wins every time! Both are dualies.. Ford's a crew cab, chevy's a 12 foot flatbed..
                Ford diesel loaded is almost like the flatbed partly loaded.. 5.7 vs 7.3 is a big difference..
                OH CRAP... CARS... guess that negates my comment!

Comment

Interesting on the Cruze. Will that get an Isuzu or maybe one of GM's foreign subsidiaries?

As I said, I'm looking for ME's next ride. And does the Cruze come in a wagon? She likes her long roofs. The VW's are great but are PRICEY in the wagon style (not sure about the sedans).

Dan

Comment

VW is a very poor quality car ..very low CSI year in and out
                    Cruze is going to use GM euro diesel
                    Diesel stinks ...DPF systems make diesel suck worse BUYER BEWARE

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      VW is a very poor quality car ..very low CSI year in and out
                      Truth, finally.. Thank You James.. Thank You...

Comment

The DPF thing is weird. I'm named on the patent to regenerate (while under load and in use) the NoX adsorber using Diesel fuel instead of an alternate fluid (like DPF) (I'm way down at the end of the patent under "bit players" but I'm on there!). It costs about 2-3% FE penalty at worst and Diesel is way cheaper than DPF. EPA made this technology available for free to whoever wants it. VW uses it on their lower powered Diesels but most other manufacturers chose to go with cow pee - no idea why except maybe they want to claim slightly higher fuel economy (+ the cost of DPF). Bottom line is that the aftertreatment systems DO work really well and in a few years they will be as transparent to the user as catalyst systems on Otto-cycle engines that we are now used to.

Dan

Comment

Way to go Dan! I'm sure there's a fuel economy regulation reason for not using the diesel as the "trap cleaner" lord knows it would be cheaper and easier than having an entirely separate tank, lines and "injector" to fire the urea into the trap.

Until someone pours the DEF into the fuel tank..... you can't fix stupid.

Yup - the DEF filler is significantly smaller than the diesel filler - so you can't put diesel into the small DEF tank... but even they are clearly labelled and different colors.... you can't fix stupid.

When was the last time you had a diesel come into a repair shop with unleaded in the fuel tank?

Still happens all the time.

Maybe we need to bring back full service fueling stations - to save these folks from themselves....
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

loads of duramax problems ...turns out the sheep pee likes to freeze at zero degrees ...I changed several DPF tanks on the d max in 2011 ...we have less problems now ...since no one seems to want diesel trucks any more

Comment

Everyone is going to DEF because in reality the first generation filtration systems arent reliable , the real world is different from the lab. There are far fewer problems with sheep pee than diesel fed.
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

still get 6.5 pumps in
                                blecch

Comment

Working...
                                X