Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    I thought VW was messing with a Diesel/Electric hybrid.

But don't even get me started on hybrids. A rolling environmental disaster - I've posted on this before.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    I've wondered likewise.

Leave a comment:

• joebogey
    replied
    Just a thought that occurred to me and seems to be in the same vein, as I just saw that VW is coming out with a Jetta hybrid.

A coworker (who I carpool with) just picked up a Chevy volt, which is not a hybrid, it's an electric vehicle with a gas generator, a fill-up of 9 gallons and a full charge will get you 1k miles give or takes for conditions.

When will a company come out with an electric vehicle with a diesel powered generator to power the wheels. If a gas generator will knock down upper 30/lower 40 mpg what would a diesel generator be able to come up with?

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    SO - MONK - HAVE YOU DRIVEN A TDI YET?

I just stumbled upon a 2009 popular mechanics where they tested an A3 TDI Audi wagon - I missed it completely - now I want one - the TDI wagon is the perfect commuter for many folks I believe.

SBG - we are brothers from another mother - but your Dad gave you way more shop skills - mine taught me baseball and golf - anyway - I want to know how you're getting a solid 20mpg from that brick of an 80's GM truck with a turbo 6.2 - how much boost - what gear ratio - what RPM and speed are you running on the highway? I must be loosing lots of energy through my transmission - even though it has a new converter maybe it's slipping elsewhere - I have 3.73 gears 265/75 -16 LRE long trail tires and a 4R100 - 7.3 powerstroke - with a cab height cap on the bed running ~1800rpm at ~66mph - I can get 19.5mpg - that's indicated and measured - but if I go 75mph and ~2200 - it's in the 17's. Of course - my truck weighs 7000lb!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    You can't eliminate the footprint. The goal is to limit it. My take is that you reduce the footprint in your daily life (I mean, really, why not recycle?) and save the environmental excesses for the fun times, like running a racetrack. The small duration of a WOT run at 1200 HP (or whatever you can muster) has really no environmental impact. The Agency officials don't get this concept at all and that's where SANE comes in. Hopefully we can get lawmakers to see logic - the EPA will follow.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Yep.. Don't sweat the small stuff..

Kinda like making batteries for 'lectric cars...
    Which has more long term footprint..gas powered cars diesel, or electric...
    I see it as cutting off your nose to spite your face..

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
    less diesel ...the better

I'm going to Portland tomorrow morning.... want to guess which vehicle I'm driving? I need a truck to haul stuff back, and both my H3 and my diesel can pull the same load (I've done it). It isn't the 5.3L H3 why would I pay for 16 mpg (maybe) when I can get 20 mpg for sure? And I don't have to clean oil out of the passenger compartment.

I can't figure out why anyone would buy a gas powered truck when a diesel is so much better in any metric... even with whale piss.

What bugs me the most is this - I get clean air and saving the children.... but if you're living, you're going to leave footprints. Getting so spun up on such tiny, sometimes even irrelevant problems does more damage than if you simply burned raw, crude oil. E.g. to get clean diesel, we heat the #2 diesel to 900 degrees, run it through a big still, then burn that in our trucks - and it's less efficient because it costs energy to heat crude to 900 degrees. Add to that cost, now we have to manufacture and ship whatever poor animal our chemistry determines byproduct to a rendering plant, who burns more energy, all which were raised by farmers who could have actually been feeding the world - but instead is making whale piss for our pickups.... yeah, that works out well.

And before I hear a snoot about conservatives or liberals- the measuring stick gets moved by BOTH sides; the losing side takes on the role of whining that the other side is going too far..... For those who don't remember Reagan, look him up and the charges against him by the liberals - the liberals should have copywrited what they said because it's now the conservatives who are saying the same blasted thing that was said 20 years ago.....

really, there is no hope - go out and do burnouts, it really is all we have left
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 3, 2013, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    You guys should also read up on "Tier 4" emmissions standards for Agricultural Equipment (and construction I believe).

Basically the air coming out has to be cleaner than the air going in.

So couple that with subsidies - - and we are basically paying farmers to drive big air-purifiers over their fields.

And even tougher standards are on the way. Tier 5 is spelled out, and there are more above that.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by TC View Post
    With all this talk about Emissions, it seems that the EPA is going to approve a measure to allow the exemption of emission testing for Motorcycles here in Phoenix(Maricopa County)........ A lot of motorcycle riders/builders here are real happy about it.....
    That will be your State environmental agency. EPA is not in charge of in-use testing programs. The Agency does, however, set clean air standards and makes suggestions/recommendations as to how to attain compliance. Most states simply put the recommendations in place as the local program as it's easier and cheaper than developing their own process and standards.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Oh man! Milner hit it square on the head!
    Piss section in a swimming pool! Lol.. Perfect description!

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    less diesel ...the better

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied
    With all this talk about Emissions, it seems that the EPA is going to approve a measure to allow the exemption of emission testing for Motorcycles here in Phoenix(Maricopa County)........ A lot of motorcycle riders/builders here are real happy about it.....

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    You got it, John. I have no clue why there isn't some standardization though I know the SAE is working on it. The problem, of course, is that if the engineering community can come up with consistent standards that's no telling what the politicians will do with them.

To put some perspective around this, remember that the US, WITHIN OUR OWN BORDERS, has at least 3 sets of standards - Federal, California, and Northeast (NORCOG or something like that - the acronym escapes me at the moment). To get the Clean Air Act thru Congress they had to "compromise" (cave in) and allow states (Cali) or regions to make their own, more stringent standards. Been a thorn in the side of the EPA ever since.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    I've done a bit of reading on this and from what I can tell - someone in the USA has it out for diesels.

I would like nothing more in my professional life than to see the world come to an agreement on emission regulations. The efficiency that would be gained by all OEMs would be tremendous - after all - isn't having different air quality rules on one part of the globe than another sort of like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    The Ford V10 is only offered in the heavy econolines - which are going away at some point - soon the transit will take their place and be used on both sides of the pond - like the benz/freighliner/sprinter has done for Dodge.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand the non diesel push in the usa - it's on my long list of things I'll never understand.
    At my end of the funnel at EPA there wasn't a "Non-Diesel" attitude but there may be further up the line. The concern was that Diesels be kept clean but the Europeans are at the same place in their thinking so that shouldn't be a big thing. In the ensuing 8 or 9 years things may have changed at the Agency, however.

Dan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X