Gas or Diesel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Diesel NoX does not catalyze (that is, convert to benign substances when exposed to certain noble metals - I don't know why Otto cycle NoX does and Diesel NoX doesn't) so the best way to handle it (given current technology) is to hold it and regenerate the holding medium.
    I thought the earlier 6.7 Cummins didn't need DEF or DPF? Or was it just that it didn't use DEF, but had to use the regen cycles to burn off the filter? I remember that being a big selling point about not needing the DEF, maybe I just assumed it used a more expensive cat.

Diesel NOx is probably different molecules (NO2, NO3, etc. not sure on number of Oxygens, maybe N24O36, don't know) or concentrations of molecules than gas produces.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
      8.1 is dead now. That's why all the marine and stationary engine manufacturers are up in arms, lots of people were using the 8.1s in stationary applications but now there is a large hole in the marketplace.
      8.1 (496) or 502? The stationary guys (pumps. Big pumps. Oil well / petroleum arena) probably are pissed. How long until the blocks run out?
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
        So yeah, wrong, the DEF fluid systems are a LOT less complicated than the DPF systems that are on their way out. That's why the manufacturers are all moving to the fluid instead of the systems that are dry or use diesel.

And it's not "piss" - it's got Uric Acid in it, and piss has "Urea" in it, but they are not the same.

I have been getting massive doses of Diesel, Gasoline, and Gaseous Fuel emissions regulations and tuning lately, as I am working for a company who makes (among other things) stationary engines some of which must comply with the rules. The bottom line in this country is, the powers that be do NOT want us moving to Diesel like Europe did, so they're making it very cost prohibitive to use anything that runs on diesel fuel.
        Thanks for clearing that up also... I know UREA is piss.. And uric acid is not .. But the dictionary says uric acid IS a compoenent of gout and kidney stones..
        Joe says it best.. Wrapping sammiches in oil!.. Lol..

I like big blocks.. Got 3 runners on the ground (hopefully still are) I just like small blocks better..

Comment

you can still get hi perf big blocks from the general

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
            you can still get hi perf big blocks from the general
            you mean their crate engines? *chuckle*
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              8.1 (496) or 502? The stationary guys (pumps. Big pumps. Oil well / petroleum arena) probably are pissed. How long until the blocks run out?

You can still buy the 8.1's from places like GMPartsDirect and CreateEngineDepot.........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                You can still buy the 8.1's from places like GMPartsDirect and CreateEngineDepot.........
                Yep, lots of places stepping up to replace those engines, even some overseas replacement castings being made from what I hear.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Don Hardy - of Don Hardy Racecar / Vega fame is who I was thinking of, big irrigation mills that run on a natural gas pipeline. I think they got some ink in CC or HRM about the 496's.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The Ford V10 is only offered in the heavy econolines - which are going away at some point - soon the transit will take their place and be used on both sides of the pond - like the benz/freighliner/sprinter has done for Dodge.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand the non diesel push in the usa - it's on my long list of things I'll never understand.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                      Dan can you explain what Opacity is??, that is what the Emissions people here test Diesel for........
                      Sure. "Opacity" is the resistance of the exhaust to pass light. Particulate blocks light to varying degrees depending on how "thick' the PM is. It's difficult to accurately measure PM (involves a microbalance and lots of controlled conditioning) and while opacity is notoriously inaccurate it's a ton easier to measure so the state prograns have picked up on it as a control strategy.

It's just a light source of known output and a receptor. The system should be all warmed up and a filter of known opacity is held in front of the lens to check calibration. Then the opasimeter (I think I spelled that right) is put in line with the exhaust stream and the opacity is measured. On a modern Diesel it should be near zero.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        The Ford V10 is only offered in the heavy econolines - which are going away at some point - soon the transit will take their place and be used on both sides of the pond - like the benz/freighliner/sprinter has done for Dodge.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand the non diesel push in the usa - it's on my long list of things I'll never understand.
                        At my end of the funnel at EPA there wasn't a "Non-Diesel" attitude but there may be further up the line. The concern was that Diesels be kept clean but the Europeans are at the same place in their thinking so that shouldn't be a big thing. In the ensuing 8 or 9 years things may have changed at the Agency, however.

Dan

Comment

I've done a bit of reading on this and from what I can tell - someone in the USA has it out for diesels.

I would like nothing more in my professional life than to see the world come to an agreement on emission regulations. The efficiency that would be gained by all OEMs would be tremendous - after all - isn't having different air quality rules on one part of the globe than another sort of like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

You got it, John. I have no clue why there isn't some standardization though I know the SAE is working on it. The problem, of course, is that if the engineering community can come up with consistent standards that's no telling what the politicians will do with them.

To put some perspective around this, remember that the US, WITHIN OUR OWN BORDERS, has at least 3 sets of standards - Federal, California, and Northeast (NORCOG or something like that - the acronym escapes me at the moment). To get the Clean Air Act thru Congress they had to "compromise" (cave in) and allow states (Cali) or regions to make their own, more stringent standards. Been a thorn in the side of the EPA ever since.

Dan

Comment

With all this talk about Emissions, it seems that the EPA is going to approve a measure to allow the exemption of emission testing for Motorcycles here in Phoenix(Maricopa County)........ A lot of motorcycle riders/builders here are real happy about it.....

Comment

less diesel ...the better

Comment

Working...
                                X