Gas or Diesel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
    I looked at buying a Volt, then barfed into my own mouth when I saw the sticker price.

So.... I'm doing my part to clean up the NJ environment by driving my TDI like a complete Ma$$hole, still getting a minimum of 35mpg, smoking unfiltered Cuban cigars with the windows down, throwing my McDonald's trash and beer cans out the window, farting, and chucking Wal-mart bags into the countryside. And its working. I am making NJ cleaner.
    I agree, but with GM incentives, NY state incentives, and LIPA (power company) incentives, it knocked about $10k off the price, she walked out the door for about $32k, since she needed a new vehicle one way or another, saving about $3k a year in gas worked for her. I still feel like I'm riding in a golf cart sometimes though...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      SO - MONK - HAVE YOU DRIVEN A TDI YET?

I just stumbled upon a 2009 popular mechanics where they tested an A3 TDI Audi wagon - I missed it completely - now I want one - the TDI wagon is the perfect commuter for many folks I believe.

SBG - we are brothers from another mother - but your Dad gave you way more shop skills - mine taught me baseball and golf - anyway - I want to know how you're getting a solid 20mpg from that brick of an 80's GM truck with a turbo 6.2 - how much boost - what gear ratio - what RPM and speed are you running on the highway? I must be loosing lots of energy through my transmission - even though it has a new converter maybe it's slipping elsewhere - I have 3.73 gears 265/75 -16 LRE long trail tires and a 4R100 - 7.3 powerstroke - with a cab height cap on the bed running ~1800rpm at ~66mph - I can get 19.5mpg - that's indicated and measured - but if I go 75mph and ~2200 - it's in the 17's. Of course - my truck weighs 7000lb!
      Hell I gotta find one first
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        SO - MONK - HAVE YOU DRIVEN A TDI YET?

I just stumbled upon a 2009 popular mechanics where they tested an A3 TDI Audi wagon - I missed it completely - now I want one - the TDI wagon is the perfect commuter for many folks I believe.

SBG - we are brothers from another mother - but your Dad gave you way more shop skills - mine taught me baseball and golf - anyway - I want to know how you're getting a solid 20mpg from that brick of an 80's GM truck with a turbo 6.2 - how much boost - what gear ratio - what RPM and speed are you running on the highway? I must be loosing lots of energy through my transmission - even though it has a new converter maybe it's slipping elsewhere - I have 3.73 gears 265/75 -16 LRE long trail tires and a 4R100 - 7.3 powerstroke - with a cab height cap on the bed running ~1800rpm at ~66mph - I can get 19.5mpg - that's indicated and measured - but if I go 75mph and ~2200 - it's in the 17's. Of course - my truck weighs 7000lb!
        5 psi boost 4:10 gears, rarely under 75, 285/16 toyo mts. With my 'burb I routinely got 28 n/a 33 tires 2.73 gears. I also weigh less. 5500 lbs wet 3/4 ton

I suck at golf...
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 4, 2013, 08:03 PM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I just wish there were more modern diesels available. I want to shove them into older cars and trucks. You have a lot of guys who take those 4 cylinder Cummins diesels, the 4BT's, and they cut their crossmembers and get cowl hoods and really have a bear of a time making it work, and then they're still pulling 100-120hp at best. Then you have the diehard OM617 Mercedes guys and you can take the Benz slushbox and it'll suck but be reliable, or adapt to something else and it'll suck and NOT be reliable, or use a manual. Then there are the VW TDI guys and they aren't easy to adapt to other vehicles.

I would love to put a small diesel engine in a big 70's land yacht and run it like that. If I could figure out how to run the Jeep CRD engine (either the 2.8 VM Motori four from the 05-06 Liberty or the 3.0 Mercedes OM642 from the 07-08 Grand Cherokee) in a standalone form, just basic ignition and fuel and timing is all I'd have to control (and then senders for water temp, oil pressure, and transmission temp for gauges I'd add to the dash). That OM642 is a 215hp engine with 376 lbs-ft of torque. Funny how that is so similar to a '73 440 Chrysler (215hp 345tq).

The little four puts out 160hp at 3800rpm and 295ft-lbs of torque from below 2000rpm, which meets or beats any smog era 302/305/318/350/351/360 engine. A two barrel 360 in a '77 Chrysler product is only worth 155hp 275tq, and the four barrel is 170hp 270tq, by the way. The Liberty CRD with 4WD weighs over 4100lbs and has a 3.73 rear gear and roughly 29 inch tires. More reasonable tire size combined with a small step down of the gear to a 3.55 or 3.23 or so would allow the engine to run at the same rpms city or highway. So a 4115lb Liberty would pull 2026rpm at 70mph, right at the top of the torque peak, and a 4178lb 1969 Chrysler Newport with 26.9 inch P215/70R15 tires and a 3.23 rear gear would be going 1858rpm, right in the meat of the torque peak area.

I know it's a 4-cylinder diesel but it's a strong one. The V6 is mightier but thirstier. It's just a matter of wiring it up to start and run and not crap the bed right away.
          Alan Moore - Wichita Falls, TX
          1976 Gran Torino 351C - Four Door Whore

Comment

How about those stationary small diesels? Can they be made to rev and drive? Not WOT all the time..
            Saw a blog a couple years ago of a guy putting together an air cooled (pretty sure) diesel rat rod.. No radiator up front..
            I'd rather have a water cooled one, like my heater...

Perkins.. Who else? How heavy?

Comment

There are a bunch of small Diesels - Onan, Toyota, Perkins and others. Look at semi trailer refrigeration rigs for one source. An issue is that these are mostly designed for steady-state operation (fixed speed) but I'm sure that can be adapted.

I agree that the 4BT is heavy and large. Great engine, though. I think guys go with them because they are a known commodity - strong and reliable and plentiful.

I went with the OM617 M-B (3 liter) because it was available and cheap - and simple. Occupant - look at my thread in "Project Cars" for details. It'll be interesting to see what my HP output will be with a modified turbo and pump (if the pump guy ever calls me back!).

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; April 5, 2013, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                I looked at buying a Volt, then barfed into my own mouth when I saw the sticker price.

So.... I'm doing my part to clean up the NJ environment by driving my TDI like a complete Ma$$hole, still getting a minimum of 35mpg, smoking unfiltered Cuban cigars with the windows down, throwing my McDonald's trash and beer cans out the window, farting, and chucking Wal-mart bags into the countryside. And its working. I am making NJ cleaner.
                Pure Brilliance - I needed that laugh after the week I had - I'll be in NJ near Bloomfield in May - Dad's 60th reunion
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

"Small" diesels still arent' cheap in most cases - and they just don't make a lot of power - refer diesels I think are 3 or 4 cylinder perkins in most cases and are only rated at like 22 - 28 HP - not enough for even a light car. There are some compact tractors in the 90HP class with small turbo diesels - but again - not cheap.

The problem with cummins is lots of people want them and they are easy to ID - you see individual valve covers and you know what it is - the late 80's dodge pickups with the cummins 6 could be a rusty pile of crap and still go for $3500 because the engine trans and axle - and frame in some cases - are a perfect swap for something cool.

I loved the john deere jeep Rich showed - but who knows what that mother cost.

I know there's a market for importing engines from Japan - Dan's mentioned it - any way of getting diesels from Europe? Probably still too much money - but they're like SBCs over there.

Comment

One of my co-workers (old boss) has a '92 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 with a Cummins, and the truck is falling apart around the engine. The engine looks pristine and runs strong at 3xx,xxx miles on it and he still gets offers approaching $8,000 for the truck. He'd like to stick the whole drivetrain in an old ~'58 Power Wagon, but his wife would probably kill him. For now he has my old Jeep to finish fixing
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• ^^^ proof - Cummins are great - and everyone knows it.....and wants one!

Comment

Working...
                      X