What Is Linkdin For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Linkdin For?

I keep getting Linkdin requests and I have no clue what that whole deal is about.

I'm retired and NOT looking for a job - my contribution to putting America back to work. That seems to be the function as far as I can figure. So what do I DO with this?

Oh - I don't do Facebook and I don't Tweet so I'm out of it on social media and will stay that way. If someone wants to talk to me they can pick up the phone or shoot me an Email (or snail mail if it comes to that).

Dan

Yeah Dan it's more for people in the work force.....networking etc.
    I'm on there with many contacts from my industry.....but won't need it
    soon.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Its a more business like social network for the suit and tie crowd. I get the requests weekly. If you ignore the requests, they keep sending them.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I get a bunch of requests daily and it would probably benefit my business but I don't have time to mess with it plus I'm just now getting a handle on email, can you say Fred Flintstone!
        sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          Its a more business like social network for the suit and tie crowd. I get the requests weekly. If you ignore the requests, they keep sending them.
          That's you why you need to mark them as spam. It's unsolicited email.
          The folks in question don't send them out, LinkedIn does, and only to lure in more peeps for their site (money).
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

You and I are getting the same request. I plan on asking him about it when see him in a month.
            Steve
            Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

I've gotten two from Joe ... You ?

Comment

Dan, you can also always Wikepedia a question like that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinkedIn (love Wikipedia, I'm on it 5-10 hours a week)

I got corralled into it...everybody I've ever e-mailed who turns out to be on the thing, they magically know...but I've informed people I know that I won't be using it. It could be useful for some but more likely just another distraction from actual work.

They are getting pretty aggressive about the junk mail. I'm about to have them classified as such.

Comment

Good to know that the people in question aren't originating the contact. Some of these folks are people I'd actually LIKE to contact (old work friends, etc.) but most are not. Spam tags for me!

Dan

Comment

yep basically a facebook for suits
                    Racing Solves Everything

Comment

It's for people that want jobs Dan, that is not you =P
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                        It's for people that want jobs Dan, that is not you =P
                        not the guys sending me invitations. They want money, but they don't necessarily want to work. The most money for the least amount of work. That may be Dan... it certainly describes my attitude. haha.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Those requests from LinkedIn and the ones about having a Facebook message (I don't even have a FB account) are most likely not from either outfit. It's more than likely sure enough a spam message, don't open it! I've never even thought of it.

In your inbox, hover over the "From" address. "Joe Blow at LinkedIn" is just a typeover and the email is actually from somebody with a random-typed email address, trying to deliver.....trouble.
                          Last edited by pdub; April 4, 2013, 12:30 PM.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

As everyone else already mentioned, it's Facebook for white collar workers.

I'm on it as my day job is being a software nerd.

It's actually really useful if you're looking for a job. I've recently been using it for job searches and to look at the work experience of people that will be interviewing me.
                            I take photos.

Comment

Originally posted by DNut View Post
                              It's actually really useful if you're looking for a job. I've recently been using it for job searches and to look at the work experience of people that will be interviewing me.
                              Have you found Chad yet?
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X