No announcement yet.

Ok, I'm convinced .. Google chrome is way faster than explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the last time I tried them all at the same time, Firefox was marginally faster than either IE or Chrome. I put the ad blocker on Firefox but haven't checked this site to see if it works the way I expected it to. I won't use Chrome because I don't really trust Google, they'll sell anything and everything to anyone.

IE has been fine for me as long as there aren't any browswer helper objects (extra search and toolbars). The intrusive crap is very difficult to remove cleanly. I'm not fond of the filtering capabilities of any of them for potentially malwared pages. There are a couple of Chevy dedicated sites with malware that my a/v picked up after the fact. I'd like to see something more done about that.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      the last time I tried them all at the same time, Firefox was marginally faster than either IE or Chrome. I put the ad blocker on Firefox but haven't checked this site to see if it works the way I expected it to. I won't use Chrome because I don't really trust Google, they'll sell anything and everything to anyone.

IE has been fine for me as long as there aren't any browswer helper objects (extra search and toolbars). The intrusive crap is very difficult to remove cleanly. I'm not fond of the filtering capabilities of any of them for potentially malwared pages. There are a couple of Chevy dedicated sites with malware that my a/v picked up after the fact. I'd like to see something more done about that.
      Maybe you should try OPERA....lol

I really gotta stop posting these videos, don't I
      Last edited by Guest; April 4, 2013, 01:34 AM.

Comment

I like the Bing commercials about being scroogled - it's true. I needed the phone number for FAST, not on the 1st page, 2nd page, or even 3rd page - those pages were all ads. On Bing, it was the second hit.

Other than that.... I like Google.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          other than Google reading everything you write with or without your knowledge, it's great. As long as you have no expectation of privacy, they can market a better set of ads to you.
          Look into Iron. It's off the same code base as Chrome, without most of the Google intrusiveness. I've used it for a year or so.
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by PatricksDad View Post
            Look into Iron. It's off the same code base as Chrome, without most of the Google intrusiveness. I've used it for a year or so.
            Chromium is good too, it's the anti-Chrome w/SOME semblance of privacy.. http://www.chromium.org/Home

Comment

Privacy is over rated. It's not like I'm looking up bomb making or successful kidnappings or such. What do I honestly have to hide? Oh no, they found out I was looking for valve stem lengths for a '69 OHC Pontiac engine, better get marketing on that stat!

They've done some cool stuff with that marketing money, like free satellite images, etc. That stuff ain't cheap and it's freakin cool! (If you are not trying to hide a taliban training camp in your backyard)
              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 4, 2013, 07:19 AM.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by PatricksDad View Post
                Thanks just downloaded it and it seems to run even better than Chrome. Probably because it is not communicating with outside sources as I'm browsing. lol
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

My main issue wasn't so much the privacy, but the "under the covers" nature of so much of their stuff. I have one system that the myriad Google updaters will bring it to it's knees with no warning even after I specifically uninstalled and disabled/crippled everything I could find. No problems now.

The only annoying thing left is that some sites have specific requirements, and don't recognize Iron or Chromium as compatible. I use FF for those.
                  "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

I switched a while back. Better than Explorer or Firefox. Both those would "stall" on me and I'd have to restart the 'puter. Also, Chrome has (for me anyways) auto spell check (red squiggly line under a word if it's wrong) and some sort of memory. For instance, if I'm searching CL, soon as I start typing it'll drop down all the things I've search starting with that letter and I can click one instead of typing all over again. Also works when I need to post my email in certain places. It does it automatically after I type 1 or 2 charactors. But, I can't answer why as I don't know shit about it. Just it's better on a few levels
                    Last edited by groucho; April 4, 2013, 10:27 AM.
                    STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                      Also, Chrome has (for me anyways) auto spell check (red squiggly line under a word if it's wrong) and some sort of memory. For instance, if I'm searching CL, soon as I start typing it'll drop down all the things I've search starting with that letter and I can click one instead of typing all over again. Also works when I need to post my email in certain places. It does it automatically after I type 1 or 2 charactors. But, I can't answer why as I don't know shit about it. Just it's better on a few levels
                      Firefox does all this as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	868979

Note the red squiggly lines
                      Last edited by moparmaniac07; April 4, 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
                        Firefox does all this as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20127[/ATTACH]

Note the red squiggly lines
                        Maybe an upgrade since I dumped them(?)
                        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                          Maybe an upgrade since I dumped them(?)
                          There have been a few updates in the last couple of years, but it's had them as long as I've been using it. That was one reason I switched from IE to Firefox. And there were a bunch of different "plug-ins" you could download that the other browsers didn't seem to have.

I do use all 3 browsers, but most times I prefer Firefox.

Comment

I have been using FireFox for years with very little problems.

I should also say I am a very big Google fan and love their products but!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used Google Chrome for a short time until customers told me they could not see images on my web site and after consulting with a few computer friends who develop web sites for a living and who also runs servers for over 5,000 web sites they said get rid of Google Chrome and that was the end of the problems.

The reason why Google Chrome screwed up is very complex and once I found out that Google has been trying for the past few years to correct the problem and not having much success I switched back to FireFox.

Just keep in mind that if you are having trouble viewing certain images on some web sites the problem is Google Chrome.

Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                              Chromium is good too, it's the anti-Chrome w/SOME semblance of privacy.. http://www.chromium.org/Home
                              bummer about having to know what you're doing to get it
                              Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Working...
                              X